Jackie's Story

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I am one of those bird owners who rescued him without doing extensive research on zons, but as an animal lover I couldn't say no, and leave him to an unknown fate.

I was that way with a cherry headed conure... only, the day I found out about him was the day he came into my home. Although not an amazon, he was very difficult at first and I wasn't sure if I'd ever be able to make him comfortable with me. He had multiple health problems and he often bit due to our communication gap and because when he became unstable (tripped over himself, fell, whatever that caused him to not be stable), he needed 'one bite' to ensure stability. After that one bite, there were no more bites.

I admit, there were times when I felt like giving up and felt like I seriously lost my mind trying to take on a huge commitment like Jackie. Some don't understand how committed you have to be to a parrot; it's literally like having another toddler for me lol but now when I open his cage in the morning, it's such a reward when he clambers out and immediately wants to hop on my arm and start the day with me :)

I do recall some of those posts of concern! It's great to see how the two of you are growing together! And I am glad you stuck it through!

Thank you for sharing Jackie's story!

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
what happened to the other parrot? did you take him home with you too? or find a home for him?

We did bring him home with us, but as of a couple weeks ago, Sparky is being fostered by a friend of mine. I felt it was the best move for him since Jackie became extremely aggressive towards him; Jackie would scream if I even said sparky's name or went anywhere close to his cage. I also have a lot of responsibilities on my plate; and my friend has the time and resources to work with him.
So, I can still keep tabs on him and ensure he's doing ok and is getting what he needs :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts