Jasper's first vet visit

Zoe

Sep 26, 2010
Alabama
Parrots
Jasper- lutino Indian Ringneck. And these guys aren't birds but we also have Daphne- cocker spaniel, Lilly- Great Dane/great Pyrenees, and Domino- Maine Coon cat
Our appointment was at 10 AM this morning- I think by 10:10 we were in an examining room. Jasper was VERY quiet... apparently the best way to get him to stop talking and sqawking is to take him to the vet's lol.

I looove his vet!! She is really great. She held him and talked to him before she toweled him so she could clip his toenails and one of his wings to even both of them up. He does have a bacterial infection, and he is a plucker. I suspected that he's been plucking but he wouldn't let me look under his wings. It's mostly under his wings and down his back that he plucks. He is underweight and malnourished. She sent me home with antibiotics to put in his water- she said since he's only been home a couple of days that she doesn't want to stress him out by having us feed him the medicine by hand, but that's what we will have to do if doing it this way doesn't work. I have vitamins to sprinkle over his food as well. She's hoping that if we can correct his nutritional deficiencies that the plucking will stop.

He goes back in ten days to see how he is doing with the vitamins and antibiotics- I really hope that will help with his plucking too. His feathers are just in really bad shape. She gave me the goody bag that all new birds get with food samples and things, and she gave me about twenty different brochures. And I got my new books in today (parrots for dummies, the second-hand parrot, and Guide to companion parrot behavior) so I have LOTS of reading to do today!

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Don't think I have met Jasper before. Pleased to meet you both. Is this bird a rescue?? Thanks for taking him to a vet for treatment.

OP
Zoe

Zoe

Sep 26, 2010
Alabama
Parrots
Jasper- lutino Indian Ringneck. And these guys aren't birds but we also have Daphne- cocker spaniel, Lilly- Great Dane/great Pyrenees, and Domino- Maine Coon cat
Yes, he is a rescue. I brought him home this past Saturday.

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
You are on top of things for Jasper. Did your vet say anything about keeping an eye on Jasper's droppings. She sounds very approachable and you might give her a call and say that some crazy person on your parrot forum suggested you ask about using probiotics to help maintain the positive flora. It doesn't do a lot while the bird is actually on the antibiotics, but as Jasper finishes the meds, the probiotic (usually a little proactive yogurt does the trick) can help keep the bird from intestinal upset. Don't please consider doing this without talking to her, but if she is okay with it, it might keep Jasper from developing a new problem courtesy of the cure for the original problem. Also, (sorry about all the kibbitzing) keep an eye on her water intake. Some birds will go without water to avoid the taste of the antibiotics. My old Sam was like that (though she would happily trash the water herself within 30 seconds of my putting it in the cage and then drink and bathe in it with pleasure...go figure). But otherwise, she would dehydrate rather than touch water that I had doctored. Keep an eye on droppings for change in ratio of solids to liquids.

OP
Zoe

Zoe

Sep 26, 2010
Alabama
Parrots
You are on top of things for Jasper. Did your vet say anything about keeping an eye on Jasper's droppings. She sounds very approachable and you might give her a call and say that some crazy person on your parrot forum suggested you ask about using probiotics to help maintain the positive flora. It doesn't do a lot while the bird is actually on the antibiotics, but as Jasper finishes the meds, the probiotic (usually a little proactive yogurt does the trick) can help keep the bird from intestinal upset. Don't please consider doing this without talking to her, but if she is okay with it, it might keep Jasper from developing a new problem courtesy of the cure for the original problem. Also, (sorry about all the kibbitzing) keep an eye on her water intake. Some birds will go without water to avoid the taste of the antibiotics. My old Sam was like that (though she would happily trash the water herself within 30 seconds of my putting it in the cage and then drink and bathe in it with pleasure...go figure). But otherwise, she would dehydrate rather than touch water that I had doctored. Keep an eye on droppings for change in ratio of solids to liquids.

I will call and ask about that! That's a good idea actually. And I was wondering whether he would notice any difference in his water or not. His cage is on my computer desk and the water dish is right at my eye level, so I'll be able to easily watch to see whether he is drinking it or not. Right now he is sound asleep on his highest perch... guess all the activity this morning wore the little guy out!

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
Let me know what vet says. Yes, poor Jasper is probably thinking, phew! thank the great Parrot that she didn't leave me in that strange place!!!

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hey Zoe, first I'd like to say thank your for being such a good guardian to Jasper, it sounds like your heading in the right direction to getting him in tip top shape, lots of good reading in the books that you've chose, just don't over do it or your brain will turn to mush....lol, please keep us updated on how things progress with Jasper, I hope this forum and its member's have in at least some small way helped guide you thus far, and for you to know we'll be here to support you along the way for the future, good luck and enjoy :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts