May 10, 2012
Media
Houston, TX
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure,
Rose Breasted Cockatoo,
Congo African Grey
Hello forum,

My 4 month old CAG came home a little over two weeks ago and is transitioning smoothly. He is eating, active and super social. A great addition!

I have two other birds as well. My 4yo GCC seems indifferent to the grey's presence. My 2yo RB2, however, made an immediate 180 in her behavior. It has been two weeks and I am starting to worry.

Zoey, the RB2, was purchased in a parrot shop six months ago. She transitioned well when we brought her home, although slowly. She and the GCC never "got along," but as long as they were given their own space it was never a problem. Before long Zoey was playing regularly, always eager to leave her cage and interact with us (the humans in the house). She even learned several phrases.

Since the grey came home Zoey has turned into a mean, brooding problem child... She still eats regularly and plays with her toys insider her cage, but no longer comes out for play time. She bites, regularly flies down from her perches when I do remove her from her cage, and RARELY speaks or whistles or chirps. It was obvious that she bonded with my girlfriend the first few weeks she was home, but she still was affectionate toward me and allowed the before-mentioned interaction. She still interacts with my girlfriend, but not as regularly. She seems to hate me.

From the day the grey came home, we were careful to show all three birds affection and attention. I still do daily (or at least try to), but it is obvious that the grey and I are becoming fast friends. Nevertheless, I worry about Zoey and hope that she will come around. I believe my birds are well-cared for... they received lots of love and attention and interaction. Because of my RB2's recent mean streak, I feel as if I'm doing something wrong... like I am a bad birdy parent. What to do?

Any suggestions, comments and criticisms are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

zoey1.jpg

Last edited:

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Two weeks is a very short time to expect your flock to work well together. Zoey obviously is feeling put out by the new flock dynamics. It is important to meet her needs first as she was there before your grey. Give them more time and see how it goes.

PortaPerch

Apr 28, 2012
SurfCity, SoCalif
Parrots
Chewbaca, F. Galah, h10/10;
Greybeard, M. Congo AG h03/09
Your pic reminds me of this one we took in N. Dakota:
HPIM1218web.jpg

We had Greybeard almost a year before bringing Chewbaca into the flock. Give it time, I think. They preen each other, and sleep side by side in an open cage we cover at night.

HPIM2309C%20%28Small%29.jpg

PP

PortaPerch

Apr 28, 2012
SurfCity, SoCalif
Parrots
Chewbaca, F. Galah, h10/10;
Greybeard, M. Congo AG h03/09
Oh, Graybeard is bonded to my wife, and speaks in my voice. He nips at me when I approach. Chewbaca nips and bites her, and is bonded to me. She doesn't speak at all.

OP
ept1976

ept1976

May 10, 2012
Media
Houston, TX
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure,
Rose Breasted Cockatoo,
Congo African Grey
Thank you, Greycloud. I realize it takes time for everyone to adjust. It's troublesome seeing Zoey so uncomfortable, though. When she came home she wouldn't eat her pellets, but during the course of a month and persistence on my part, she came gradually came around. Now she loves them. I hope her comfort within the flock will develop in a similar fashion. I appreciate your input.

OP
ept1976

ept1976

May 10, 2012
Media
Houston, TX
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure,
Rose Breasted Cockatoo,
Congo African Grey
Portaperch!

Thanks for the input! I have looked at your pictures previously in the forum and gained great hope for my RB2 and CAG having seen yours intermingle. Knowing that yours get along so well is reassuring. Thanks! That's a great looking couple you have there!

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
Rule of thumb is not to add a new bird until a year has gone by since the last addition. It takes a year before a new bird completely settles into the house, otherwise it can put more stress on the bird you already have. Now that you already have the new bird in the house theres not much you can do about that. Its just going to take time for everyone to adjust to the new member, more than likely another year, esp. with a too. Parrots are sensitive, it takes them months not days.

Most Reactions

Latest posts