Jenday conure not eating while am away for work

Lantonis

Jun 26, 2016
I have a lovely jenday conure named rio, and i have him for almost a year now.
since the first months that i got him i was measuring his pellets so that i know how much he is eating while am away for work. He was eating 4-6 grams out of 8-9 that i put him and i was really happy with that. But eventually as i was measuring his food i noticed that he was eating less and less until he got to a point now that he doesnt eat pellets at all when am away. In fact he barerly eats. I leave some veggies or maybe frouds to hes cage so that he has something else to eat at least. Sometimes he might eat a few fruits or veggies but pellets no.
And when am comming home he is hungry as hell.
I also watch him from a camera i have while am away and he is just sitting on the bench doing nothing. Like he is deppressed that am not home.
Is there anything i can do do make him more active and make him eat when am not home?
Thanks for your time people

CherylCali

Jun 22, 2016
Victoria, Texas
Parrots
Early Bird Green Cheek Conure
Hatch Date 3-2016
I'm sorry, I don't have any advice, but I know people will give some. I'm curious to know myself in case I have this in the future. It is awesome that you can watch while you're away. I don't have internet, just a phone, so I lack the capability to do that.

CherylCali

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Our Amazon is really big into eating with us and will in may cases not eat until the 'flock' eats. Now, he is an Amazon, so if we are late he will eat because Amazons and Food is a dangerous place to stand between.

Are you also monitoring weight? Monitoring Food intake and not Monitoring weight is of little overall valve other than forcing the question of; is my Parrot over, under or stable regarding its weight.

It is very important to teach 'self-entertainment,' in many cases its more an issue of providing a wide across-section of toys and determine, which ones they are in fact playing with. When first introducing wood 'chew' toys ensure that they are made of soft thin wood (check by applying pressure with your finger nail, if it creates a dent its soft enough). Harder woods, even for an adult Parrot can limit their interest in chewing it. The mix of toys should be at least 60/40 with chew toys representing the majority.

CherylCali - Check with your Phone provider, you may be surprised what you can run across a phone line!

OP
L

Lantonis

Jun 26, 2016
Thanks for the replies guys. I do measure his weight. He was never more than 123 grams. That was his tops. Now for many months he is 119-120. Most of the time measuring 120.
Also i got him many toys in his cage which when am home he likes to go in his cage on his own and play. Even though he is playing a little aggressive:p
Maybe its the fact that when am home he is all the time out of the cage?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
As long as he's maintaining weight, it may not be an issue. I have heard of people who feed birds two or three meals of food per day, and the birds do not have access to foods (unless it's treats) between meals.

That said, if you'd like, you can try and encourage him to forage for food. Make it into a game! Hide pieces of food and treats in his toys, wrap them up in paper or mini cupcake holders. Basically, make it so that he has to work for his food and can't fill up quite as easily.

wter5989

May 24, 2016
Is it good to leave tv on for noise? I do that for my quaker

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions