Jojo, the rescue bird

rescuebird

Apr 2, 2017
Indiana
Parrots
Amazon (fostered)
Hello, all!

I've been a lurker in the forums for awhile and have greatly benefited from what I've read here - thank you all!

I'd appreciate some input on my newest foster, Jojo. I believe she's a DYHA, though she has less extensive yellow than those I've known in the past. Perhaps she's a Belize subspecies or a hybrid? (Photos in my album for those interested).

A brief history... she's a wild-caught import, at least 33 years old. Reports from prior owners indicate she was a young adult when originally acquired, though the original owner has passed away so all early life info is second hand. Actually, she also outlived her second owner before ending up in rescue. I've been told the heirs surrendered her after relegating her to a small cage for awhile. I understand she was a beloved and well-cared for pet with the first owner and a breeder with the second.

I met Jojo while fostering some other birds for the group. At that time she was living at a pet grooming salon, having passed through several foster homes. She was basically a lump on a perch, moving only from food to water dish. Surprisingly, she was not overweight - although she had nothing to eat other than pellets. She would not play with toys of any kind and refused to be handled. She was relatively quiet at the salon, other than occasionally chattering to herself or whistling to the dogs. She was in a cage too small to allow for much activity anyway. Her wings had been aggressively clipped. Seeing her this way broke my heart and I requested she be our next foster. I was warned about her biting and screaming, but was sure we could help with time and patience.

She's been with us for about 6 weeks now. She's doing well in a number of ways, but still is not as happy and active as Amazons I've worked with in the past (of course, those were younger birds who hadn't gone through so many traumatic events).

Her current setup - 24"x42" dometop Cal Cage, 5' tall in a corner of the dining area of the great room (where we spend most of our time when home). Her nighttime roosting perch is in a corner that is unapproachable from two sides. While it is near the kitchen, we are very careful about cooking fumes and own NO no-stick pans of any type. We've been adding new perches weekly, but it takes awhile for her to begin using them. Her roost perch is a hand-shaped 2x2 wrapped in cotton rope. I monitor it carefully for fraying, but she doesn't really chew at it. I believe she does have sore feet, as the bottoms have a few reddened areas. I just noticed her napping on one foot today for the first time, so I hope the softer perch is helping. She's been consistently using it for about a week. Before that, she spent much of her time on a hand-shaped 2x2 perch without the rope wrap. In addition she has a boing that she is still avoiding entirely, two natural branch perches, and a concrete perch which is the lowest in the cage (her salon cage had the concrete perch highest and she spent almost all her time on it). I've been introducing toys one at a time and she's starting to interact with them occasionally, particularly foraging toys. I've removed the floor grate and covered the tray with newspaper, changed daily.

There are six stainless dishes, 4 near the floor and 2 up high. The high ones hold water and fresh fruits or veggies given first thing in the morning - about 8 am. The lower bowls hold pellets, seed mix, and other foods. The variety and locations of these bowls are also changed daily - the only constant is pellets, but I move them around also. It took almost a month for her to start showing interest in fresh foods, but she's now eagerly digging into the veggies, cooked beans, pasta, and fruit when offered.

We visit with her for about an hour each morning as we start our day, eating breakfast as she has her cooked food for the day. She is on a t-stand next to our dining table during this time. We answer contact calls as we move around the house. We use the same phrase each time we leave the house, "Bye bye, Jojo! See you later." She no longer screams as we leave.

In the mid-afternoon, I take her from the cage and move her to a playstand. The stand holds a food and water dish, two natural wood perches of varying size, a rope-covered perch allowing her to move from the stand floor to the perches, and a toy holder. The floor of the stand is covered with paper. Each day I hang a different foraging toy on the stand - kabobs, shredders, etc. I also scatter a few foraging foot toys on the floor of the stand. She spends the evening in the living room near us, playing and interacting with us. She has discovered the joys of shredding paper and sometimes even shreds her foot toys while ignoring the treats tucked inside them.

Three times weekly, I move her t-stand into the shower and give her the chance to bathe. She has not yet learned to like water, but is improving. I don't allow the spray to hit her directly, but she is close enough to be well misted. The water is warm but not hot.

Our struggles - she is hand shy. She will step up, but in an odd way... she will only step backward onto a hand offered behind her perch, not up onto a hand in front (she bites those, though only hard enough to be a warning rather than a true bite). She is terrified of towels, gloves, spray bottles, and cage covers - I don't use any of these with her but wonder if I need to eventually teach her to accept them a bit more.

She will take treats from my hand occasionally, but threatens while doing so. I haven't yet found a way to offer that she doesn't distrust. She occasionally solicits a head scratch, but seems uncertain about accepting it for more than a few seconds. I allow her to set the tone for such interactions and stop as soon as she seems uncomfortable.

I'd like to begin teaching her to use her wings more, as she rarely even flaps them other than to balance herself a bit if stepping from hand to perch or when trying to move from hand to shoulder - which I prefer not to allow as I don't entirely trust her near my face. She's molted in most of her flight feathers, with the exception of the leading 2-3 primaries on each side. I tried the "dropping onto the bed from 12 inches" exercise once and it terrified her. In the past she's hit the floor pretty hard a few times, so she's frightened of falling.

She definitely prefers interacting with my husband but he has no prior bird experience and lacks confidence in handling her. I suspect she would also become possessive of him quickly as she already shows occasional signs of jealousy when he and I interact around her.

I'm an experienced clicker trainer and would like to work with her this way, but I haven't found anything she sees as a strong enough motivator to use as a reward. Targets are either something to be avoided entirely or something to be attacked.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Jojo sweet.jpg
    Jojo sweet.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 203

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I'm no expert, buttttttttttttttttttttttt...
I'm glad you're here.
And I know you'll get guidance and support.
Thank you for rescuing this darling, and thank you again for sharing.
Welcome to our community.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
From what I read...it sounds to me you are doing an excellent job already with JoJo. And THANK YOU for taking this beautiful creature into your home :)

Even though I have had Amy for nearly 30 years,I'm still learning,and ALOT of my new knowledge has come from this wonderful community.
Our resident 'zon expert,Steven,a.k.a. "Sailboat" will chime in I'm sure. He deals with rescues and unwanted/unloved 'zons and has been for decades,so I'm sure he will have sound advice for you.

As far as arm waving ( wing flapping :rolleyes:) my blue front doesn't do a lot of that either,nothing in comparison to little Beebs the 'tiel..then again.BB is only a year old and Amy is going on 30.. ( she came home to live with me when she was 4 months old).

I'd like to get her to do what comes natural too...FLY! ( she gets clipped in spring and summer coz she always goes places with me..she is well socialized and just LOVES rides in the car).

Have you taken JoJo for a wellness check? I'm doing that this week,just to see if Amy is well enough to do excersizes to learn to fly ( she never fledged and is clueless on how to fly)

Your new baby hasn't been with you too long as of yet..and the poor thing is probably thinking "oh boy...here we go again..another temporary new home" but it sounds to me JoJo is doing remarkably well for such a short time being with your family..keep doing what you are doing..and SOCIALIZE! you,and the birdie,will love it! JMHO here.
OH! And WELCOME to the community..we do need PICTURES! lol

Jim

Last edited:
OP
R

rescuebird

Apr 2, 2017
Indiana
Parrots
Amazon (fostered)
From what I read...it sounds to me you are doing an excellent job already with JoJo. And THANK YOU for taking this beautiful creature into your home :)

Even though I have had Amy for nearly 30 years,I'm still learning,and ALOT of my new knowledge has come from this wonderful community.
Our resident 'zon expert,Steven,a.k.a. "Sailboat" will chime in I'm sure. He deals with rescues and unwanted/unloved 'zons and has been for decades,so I'm sure he will have sound advice for you.

As far as arm waving ( wing flapping :rolleyes:) my blue front doesn't do a lot of that either,nothing in comparison to little Beebs the 'tiel..then again.BB is only a year old and Amy is going on 30.. ( she came home to live with me when she was 4 months old).

I'd like to get her to do what comes natural too...FLY! ( she gets clipped in spring and summer coz she always goes places with me..she is well socialized and just LOVES rides in the car).

Have you taken JoJo for a wellness check? I'm doing that this week,just to see if Amy is well enough to do excersizes to learn to fly ( she never fledged and is clueless on how to fly)

Your new baby hasn't been with you too long as of yet..and the poor thing is probably thinking "oh boy...here we go again..another temporary new home" but it sounds to me JoJo is doing remarkably well for such a short time being with your family..keep doing what you are doing..and SOCIALIZE! you,and the birdie,will love it! JMHO here.
OH! And WELCOME to the community..we do need PICTURES! lol

Jim

She's been in for annual checkups since she's been with the rescue group, and I took her in about a week after she moved in with us (she'd been sneezing a bit). All her blood work has been normal. The only things the AV found were a little bit of nasal irritation and a couple reddened patches on the bottoms of her feet. We added a bird safe heat emitter at night near her roost and the cotton wrapped perch. The sneezing has since stopped and her feet seem to be better, though I haven't been able to examine them closely.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Very sorry that I missed your Thread earlier!

I am guess that you likely have a Yellow-Crown Amazon and thinking more likely nearer to 35 - 40 years old based on her story.

I would like to recommend that you read my Thread at the top of the Amazon Forum, Titled: I Love Amazons -... Target Segments 4, 5 & 6. Starting with 4 than 6 and later 5.

Segment 4. This will first get her onto much larger perches . Minimum 2.5" or larger. Targeting roosting perches first and than switch out as you see where she is spending more time. This will help short term with the pads of her claws. As you know, natural wood branches only, no dowels and no concrete perches (Reddened pads can be serious damaged on concrete perches).

Segment 6. This will support your need to get her moving around much more and will help in a number of other areas, which you will see as she comes back to life!

Segment 5. I understand that you have had her in for blood testing, but before you start segment 5, you need to be successful with segment 6, which will start building her flight muscles. And, then its back to the AV for a very specific blood and physical to determine the status of her heart /Lung (Air Sacks) to determine if she can physically handle increased activity /flight.

NOTE: Unless your AV is 'told' that you want to increase the active state of your Amazon, they target testing and exam on the Amazon being non-active!

WARNING: Physical Stressing an older, non-active Parrot could result in Heart Failure!

FYI: At this point, work at your relationship with this Amazon. And as you know, work at the rate that this Amazon will allow.

Once again, sorry that I had missed your Thread!

Welcome to the Wonderfull World Of Amazons!

Last edited:
OP
R

rescuebird

Apr 2, 2017
Indiana
Parrots
Amazon (fostered)
Thank you, Sailboat! I've been reading and re-reading the "I Love Amazons" thread - there's so much good information there!

I've talked to the AV about wanted Jojo to be a fully flighted bird, and she wants to do another round of exams and testing after she begins building condition. When she came to us she was a bit underweight and had very little breast muscling (pronounced keel, no lift when flapping). Her weight has improved as her diet has become more varied but she definitely has little strength in those breast muscles.

I was excited to see her flapping a bit while on the t-stand yesterday, but she quit after only a few seconds. We encouraged her enthusiastically and had a singing/dancing session afterward - something she seems to particularly enjoy.

You think she's a YC despite the pink beak and toes? That's what threw me in trying to determine species.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thank-you, for reading I Love Amazon -... Thread. I tend to forget just how big that Thread had gotten. I have at least four possible six more Segments that I am still fleshing out.

Yellow-Crown /Double Yellow Head Amazons are two very defined species of Amazona and I am still not 100% certain of which of the Three Possibly she may be. As you know, the Beak and Nails scream DYHA and the head and neck 'cap' lean told YCA and a Natural Variation sits at the center. Lets play with that with a few more photos, but later.

I am very happy to hear that your CAV wants to go slow regarding rebuilding Jojo's physical condition and then reevaluate, once the effects of a healthier diet and limited physical activity begins to show!

The really big concern is to not push to far to fast! None of us want to set her heart into 'run-away' mode and push heart failure by rushing this.

I would like to recommend that you process based on Jojo having Fatty Liver, Weakened Immune System and Heart /Lung (air sack) failure. STOP! The goal is to create a 'Vantage' point that we view the activity level and rate that we reinstate it, plus the continuation of enhancing her diet, staying clear of foods that would top the list if her condition was as present above. Over-react to limit errors over the next several months.

Activity: Flapping wings at this point and whatever wandering around she wants to do, is acceptable. As you know, you can encourage more extensive Wing Flapping, but let's hold on that as a healthy diet and one-two Human begin to 'Re-Start' her first. Also, the larger cage will also mentally encourage more movement!

Have your husband read aloud to her, whether or not she is in her cage. Just as long as they are close by each other. Have him start with Understanding Body Language Thread located below I Love Amazon Thread.

Enjoy this process!
As you know, ever step she takes is rewarded with joyfulness by her new Family!

Thank you, Sailboat! I've been reading and re-reading the "I Love Amazons" thread - there's so much good information there!

I've talked to the AV about wanted Jojo to be a fully flighted bird, and she wants to do another round of exams and testing after she begins building condition. When she came to us she was a bit underweight and had very little breast muscling (pronounced keel, no lift when flapping). Her weight has improved as her diet has become more varied but she definitely has little strength in those breast muscles.

I was excited to see her flapping a bit while on the t-stand yesterday, but she quit after only a few seconds. We encouraged her enthusiastically and had a singing/dancing session afterward - something she seems to particularly enjoy.

You think she's a YC despite the pink beak and toes? That's what threw me in trying to determine species.

Last edited:
OP
R

rescuebird

Apr 2, 2017
Indiana
Parrots
Amazon (fostered)
Thank-you, for reading I Love Amazon -... Thread. I tend to forget just how big that Thread had gotten. I have at least four possible six more Segments that I am still fleshing out.

Yellow-Crown /Double Yellow Head Amazons are two very defined species of Amazona and I am still not 100% certain of which of the Three Possibly she may be. As you know, the Beak and Nails scream DYHA and the head and neck 'cap' lean told YCA and a Natural Variation sits at the center. Lets play with that with a few more photos, but later.

I am very happy to hear that your CAV wants to go slow regarding rebuilding Jojo's physical condition and then reevaluate, once the effects of a healthier diet and limited physical activity begins to show!

The really big concern is to not push to far to fast! None of us want to set her heart into 'run-away' mode and push heart failure by rushing this.

I would like to recommend that you process based on Jojo having Fatty Liver, Weakened Immune System and Heart /Lung (air sack) failure. STOP! The goal is to create a 'Vantage' point that we view the activity level and rate that we reinstate it, plus the continuation of enhancing her diet, staying clear of foods that would top the list if her condition was as present above. Over-react to limit errors over the next several months.

Activity: Flapping wings at this point and whatever wandering around she wants to do, is acceptable. As you know, you can encourage more extensive Wing Flapping, but let's hold on that as a healthy diet and one-two Human begin to 'Re-Start' her first. Also, the larger cage will also mentally encourage more movement!

Have your husband read aloud to her, whether or not she is in her cage. Just as long as they are close by each other. Have him start with Understanding Body Language Thread located below I Love Amazon Thread.

Enjoy this process!
As you know, ever step she takes is rewarded with joyfulness by her new Family!

Thank you for your encouragement. It sounds like we're probably on the right track. I've rehabilitated a few parrots before, but she's the first wild-caught bird I've known... as well as the oldest. I wish I knew more details of her past instead of so much second hand info and guesswork, but we just have to do the best we can with where she is psychologically, emotionally, and physically.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I have been very lucky to have been 'Owned' by two wild caught Amazons and their range of vocals is amazing! There ability to control food intake is just as amazing, so to find this one thin does not surprise me in the least!

As her activity picks-up, you should see a like interest in eating. And, as the quality of food creates more interest in eating, her activity should likewise increase.

I highly recommend an 'insane' drive to maximize every hour with her regarding her health. As you have read I Love Amazons, you may recall the drive to be ready to quickly move if a physical (health) problem occurs. At this point, time appears to be on your side. Continue to use that time to your benefit to transition her to a healthy diet. As you know, this goes a very long way to building her Immune System.

Any time you come home from a visit to the Rescue (etc..), be crazy about decontamination before interacting with her. Yes, lots of verbal contact calls, etc... But no physical interaction until you are comfortable that you bring her nothing more than you! Same with gardening, etc...

The Good News; Her being Wild Caught has likely provided her with base, stronger Immune System. You just need to get that built back-up!

This can sound both insane and crazy until you loss one, cause you didn't! That is a hard cold bucket of ice water that quickly wakes you up! Been there, did that and have no want for anyone else to have to live with that!

At some point in the near future, one day you will find that 'She' has elected to Love you and your family and you will come to understand the great joy of being Owned by an Amazon!

"Thank you for your encouragement. It sounds like we're probably on the right track. I've rehabilitated a few parrots before, but she's the first wild-caught bird I've known... as well as the oldest. I wish I knew more details of her past instead of so much second hand info and guesswork, but we just have to do the best we can with where she is psychologically, emotionally, and physically."

Last edited:
OP
R

rescuebird

Apr 2, 2017
Indiana
Parrots
Amazon (fostered)
I hand fed babies for years while simultaneously raising poultry - I'm scrupulous about biosecurity. David (my husband) jokes that I'm more likely to catch something from her than vice versa, and I'm not sure he's wrong! I even give her baths in a different tub than where we shower to ensure there's no residue from the garden, AV, or pet shop. I avoid direct contact with other birds.

I'd like to see her eating a greater variety of fresh veggies, but right now she shows little interest in anything other than corn, peas, green beans, and carrots. I keep offering other stuff but so far she doesn't want anything to do with it. I hope she'll start nibbling at other veggies in foraging toys - she's discovering the joys of shredding paper in a search for tidbits of safflower seed, pine nuts, etc. Soon I plan to start hidingcooked beans, pasta, sweet potato, squash, and such occasionally to see her response.

Oh... she seems to think chop will sneak up and devour her when she isn't looking and that nutri-berries are projectiles.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I see a very happy Amazon in your future! :D

FYI: Remember, Amazons are ether super into everything -or- very watchful of everything. Seem like she is more the second - have things show up and work their way to her area!

I hand fed babies for years while simultaneously raising poultry - I'm scrupulous about biosecurity. David (my husband) jokes that I'm more likely to catch something from her than vice versa, and I'm not sure he's wrong! I even give her baths in a different tub than where we shower to ensure there's no residue from the garden, AV, or pet shop. I avoid direct contact with other birds.

I'd like to see her eating a greater variety of fresh veggies, but right now she shows little interest in anything other than corn, peas, green beans, and carrots. I keep offering other stuff but so far she doesn't want anything to do with it. I hope she'll start nibbling at other veggies in foraging toys - she's discovering the joys of shredding paper in a search for tidbits of safflower seed, pine nuts, etc. Soon I plan to start hidingcooked beans, pasta, sweet potato, squash, and such occasionally to see her response.

Oh... she seems to think chop will sneak up and devour her when she isn't looking and that nutri-berries are projectiles.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi there. Try the old trick of sampling some of the rejected foods first, making a big show of how delicious it is. I just hope your chop is not like ours ( loaded with hot and even hotter peppers).

OP
R

rescuebird

Apr 2, 2017
Indiana
Parrots
Amazon (fostered)
Hi there. Try the old trick of sampling some of the rejected foods first, making a big show of how delicious it is. I just hope your chop is not like ours ( loaded with hot and even hotter peppers).

Will do - thanks!

OP
R

rescuebird

Apr 2, 2017
Indiana
Parrots
Amazon (fostered)
[ame="https://youtu.be/mC1CuYTOXVk"]https://youtu.be/mC1CuYTOXVk[/ame]

This was one of the first times Jojo started really singing/dancing with us instead of just in the cage when we weren't nearby.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
LOL...wow..now that's one happy Amazon! Gorgeous girl :D

Jim

Most Reactions