Just a couple questions..

Dixonsmomma

Apr 28, 2016
Central Pennsylvannia
Parrots
Dixon: Yellow Sided/Cinnamon, possibly Dilute- Green Cheek Conure DOH:02/07/2016
My little guy, Dixon, does some things that I'm not quite sure what they mean... Maybe someone can shed some light.

1) he scraps/rubs his beak on the table or cage very aggressively. Like he runs full force at times while doing so..

2) makes a clicking noise with his beak.

lplummer52

Apr 19, 2016
Indialantic, FL
Parrots
"Birdie". Sun Conure
I don't know what they mean either, but Screech does those things all the time. They clean their beaks by rubbing it on things, but I know what you mean by rubbing it very fast on the cage bars or other things...just something they like to do I guess.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
My little guy, Dixon, does some things that I'm not quite sure what they mean... Maybe someone can shed some light.

1) he scraps/rubs his beak on the table or cage very aggressively. Like he runs full force at times while doing so..

2) makes a clicking noise with his beak.

1) He's probably just cleaning his beak. Usually after eating or drinking.

2) Beak scraping/clicking is a contentment noise for a conure.

OP
Dixonsmomma

Dixonsmomma

Apr 28, 2016
Central Pennsylvannia
Parrots
Dixon: Yellow Sided/Cinnamon, possibly Dilute- Green Cheek Conure DOH:02/07/2016
What about when he digs and bites at my hair? Is he trying to preen me? And is that a good thing? (No worries, I use no products in my hair)

Another thing he started doing is (almost like) purring... I have no idea how to read that one. It's normally when we're outside when he does that.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
There are a lot of awesome websites that will tell you general behaviour traits for conures. A quick Google search of "Conure Behaviour and their Meanings" will help you greatly, and likely answer more of your questions quickly in a list-like format for the future [emoji4].

When he digs and bites at your hair, he could be:

1) Playing with it because it's entertaining
2) Trying to preen you out of love
3) Trying to get it out of his way out of frustration as it may hit his eyes or bother him/entangle him
4) Burrowing into your hair as a natural "nesting" behaviour - they settle into something comfortable
5) Trying to organize your hair to make that perfect roosting spot

"Purring" is often a contented behaviour if followed by fluffed up feathers and one-footed perching. It can also be a form of quiet communication to others in his flock for reassurance if they are unsure of their settings and in that case is associated with stream lined feathers and eyes constantly to the sky.

It takes awhile to learn the behaviours of your bird, and some behaviours are unique to the individual while others are across the board for parrots. But just take time to get to know him and learn his quirks. It can take awhile, but it's always a wonderful journey. Congrats on your addition [emoji4]

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Maybe Dixon is just trying to tell you your hairstyle is getting a bit...dated? Conures are noted for their high sense of style and have excellent and very discriminating taste.

Just kidding, sounds normal to me.

OP
Dixonsmomma

Dixonsmomma

Apr 28, 2016
Central Pennsylvannia
Parrots
Wrench13, let me tell you… By the time he's done I look like a masterpiece! Knots and all! Haha!!

One last question… Then I think I'm done. When Dixon is standing at a mirror and sees himself or when we're all playing with him and "yay" towards him he does is really ridiculous-nerdy head bob where he sticks out the top peak, opens his mouth, extends his neck and bobs his head really fast. i wish I understood how to upload videos because I have one I could show.

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Wrench13, let me tell you… By the time he's done I look like a masterpiece! Knots and all! Haha!!

One last question… Then I think I'm done. When Dixon is standing at a mirror and sees himself or when we're all playing with him and "yay" towards him he does is really ridiculous-nerdy head bob where he sticks out the top peak, opens his mouth, extends his neck and bobs his head really fast. i wish I understood how to upload videos because I have one I could show.
Videos are easy just upload the video to youtube and then copy the youtube url for your video and paste it here...Im looking forward to seeing your video too I dont have a conure at present but I love them they are so full of character and are a laugh a minute ...your little guy sounds like he is lots of fun :)

OP
Dixonsmomma

Dixonsmomma

Apr 28, 2016
Central Pennsylvannia
Parrots
[ame="https://youtu.be/-FxmDflP0_A"]Dixon's Head Bob - YouTube[/ame]

Sorry it's so short, I was on Snapchat when he did it, so we were only allotted the usual 10 seconds.

What exactly is he doing here? I read somewhere that it's like a mating dance.... is this true?

Last edited:

Most Reactions