unknown

Nov 1, 2011
Australia
Parrots
Indian ringneck,
Cockitiel
I got my grey IRN only last week..
Hes completely lovely, cuddly, sweet.
But whenever I put him back in his cage after hes been out for a while he puts up a big fuss, crashing around crawling up his cage..

Have any of you had to deal with his before? Any idea's why he would be freaking out like this?

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Puck didn't want to go back in the cage when I first got him. He's better about it now.

Puck listens to me when I show him a towel. He knows that people use towels to make birds do things they don't want to do. I don't even have to pick him up with it, just show it to him! I guess this happened more at his previous home, because he was nervous around towels, but now he lets me towel him a little bit after we shower.

One time my mom was watching him while I was on vacation, and he wouldn't go in his cage. My mom told her roommate "Well, Remy says if he does this to show him a towel..." Her roommate just held up a bath towel, and he went right in!

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I always make sure I have a nice treat or foot toy for Max, when I put him back..., and he generally starts playing or searching his food stations...

Mamanda

Oct 17, 2011
Media
Central Oregon (Paradise!)
Parrots
Keen: female, YSGCC & Opi: male, Pied Cockatiel & Milo: male, Timneh African Grey
My guess is it could be a lot of reasons, especially since he's new to you. Something in the cage might be weirding him out, might be him trying to test you to see if you'll take him back out to play more, might be he doesn't feel entertained or stimulated enough in his cage.
I would also agree to give a special treat when he goes in. Maybe also talk to him, give him head scratches through the cage... sort of reminding him that him being in the cage is a positive & you'll still pay lots of attention to him.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
He's getting attached to you and doesn't want to go back into his house alone. That happens often, just walk away if he's making a fuss.

Most Reactions