Just adopted Captain the Yellow Nape :)

brolie

Apr 7, 2015
Colorado Springs
Parrots
Gus the Jenday Conure (7yo) Pooka the Umbrella Cockatoo (17yo) Sky, Arwen, Antigone the Budgies (all born in August 17') - and Captain our Yellow Naped Amazon (10 yo) RIP Oatey 8/15/17 Cloud 4/28/18
So there's a bird rescue near my house that I visit a lot. I've learned to love on the birds but not want to take all of them home.

They brought in a beautiful, spunky, super unique and special Yellow Nape Amazon who they all were wary of because she can bite pretty bad (like most Amazons). But Captain had a habit of biting anyone especially if this one girl was anywhere close by.

Captain and I instantly bonded. She has a gigantic heart and is super sweet. She never even threatened to bite me at any time.

When I made the decision that she belonged in our home, I started the (grueling) process of adoption. In order to help me "understand what I was signing up for", the main lady that runs the place (who also happens to be the one who Captain hates) decided to intentionally provoke Captain into biting me without my knowledge... I admit that I was curious about her bite since everyone in the shop was so scared of her and everything but at the same time, I really have a problem with her doing that.

So yes, she bit me, and it was nasty. I put her back in her cage and asked her for an apology.

But now that we have her home, she's more gentle than even the budgies!! She's playful, loves to preen us, and is super snuggly.

I really think that it was because they treated her like a biter, that she bit so much. She's gentle and wonderful. (I'm kinda glad to have gotten her out of there.)

Attachments

• capt.jpg
    capt.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 118
  • capt1.jpg
    capt1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 20171222_155229.jpg
    20171222_155229.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 105

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Awwwwww! the second pic just melts the heart! Amazon's DO have a sweet side. My Amy's comes out when he is riding in the car,on my shoulder. He will preen my beard,drag his beaky across my cheek gently,and mumble sweet,soft Amazon stuff in my ear.
His way of saying "Thanks Dad!..for taking me out with you for a ride!!"

...and WELCOME HOME CAPTAIN!!

Jim

OP
B

brolie

Apr 7, 2015
Colorado Springs
Parrots
Gus the Jenday Conure (7yo) Pooka the Umbrella Cockatoo (17yo) Sky, Arwen, Antigone the Budgies (all born in August 17') - and Captain our Yellow Naped Amazon (10 yo) RIP Oatey 8/15/17 Cloud 4/28/18
Aww I love that!! My umbrella loves rides in the car too ;)

I'm so excited to see how our relationship continues on too. If we've already bonded this much, I'm gonna love where it goes :D

Attachments

• pooka.jpg
    pooka.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 74

bill_e

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
She's beautiful but be careful. My one experience rescuing a bird is with my Hawk Head. When we first brought her home she was a sweetheart. Went to everyone and never fussed. After a couple of weeks when she had settled in, she started behaving badly (maybe normal) with anyone but my wife. Since then we've bonded and I trust her completely but she still would bite the same grandkids that she let handle her when she first came home and she was submissive. You may have a period once she settles in where she becomes a little aggressive .

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Looks like you were picked by The Captain.
Thanks for rescuing this beauty

Timneh

Oct 16, 2014
Illinois, Chicago suburbs
Parrots
Greenwing macaw baby girl
She is a good looking yellow nape!

That's horrible and inexcusable they tried to make her bite you, what the hell is it with these shelters? I also had a recent bad experience at 2 different shelters, and understand what you mean when you said glad to get her out of there. I don't see birds thriving at the shelters, it's opposite!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
So, you have elected to come over to the Wonderful World of Amazons!

Sorry that lady set-you-up! That kind of thinking (or lack of it) is just plain stupid. I'm not going to even guess what was going on in her mind. Again, sorry that the both of you had to experience the sad underside of the Rescue World.

I have worked with many Rescues in the Upper Great Lakes and have never heard of anyone pulling that kind of stunt. That is a great way for a business owner getting sued. Again, very sorry that it happened to you!

There is no question that there can be a 'Honeymoon' period with Amazons. This commonly occurs for several reason, with most of them dealing with not paying close attention to the Amazon's Body Language!!! The vast majority of Amazons will clearly tell you that you are about to get bitten. The other common area is pushing beyond /a head of the comfort zone of the Amazon.

Having an Amazon choose you is a truly wonderful thing. It will set you further along the way to developing a strong bond with your Amazon. But it will not assure it!!! Adult Amazon's will expect you to earn their respect and Love. To do that you need to respect them, learn their language and move at their pace.

The first Sticky Thread in the Amazon Forum is provided by Birdman666 and is Required Reading for Amazon Owners, whether first timers or long time owners. Me, myself and I are as a group, Big Time Amazon Snobs and I reviewed that Thread at least once a quarter! I see it as that important! The Best Approach and one that I use to this day, is to sit with my Amazon and Read That Thread to him Out-Loud! Anyone new to Amazons should read it several times during the first several weeks and as needed after that. It provides the Basics; In Understanding Amazon Body Language.

The Second Sticky Thread is the Foundation in Care of Amazons! It is one Huge Thread with well over 30 segment that covers the Loving and Living with Amazons. It is designed to be used a reference tool. But your best use of it is to gain a deeper understanding of your caring for all of your Parrots!

More available as needed. Remember that if you run into a set-back, its you not paying attention!

Again, Welcome to the Wonderful World of Amazons!

CKP

Feb 16, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Maverick - BFA (hatchdate: 05/04/2016)
So glad you were able to rescue such a pretty girl!

I can't believe the shelters thought having the bird bite you would show you what you were "in for"... That's simply ridiculous. So upsetting...

Boozieshome

May 26, 2017
The Woodlands, TX
Parrots
Bonnie and Clyde, Umbrella 'Toos, and BoozieToo, a double yellow Amazon. RIP Boozie, Blue crowned mealy Amazon
So there's a bird rescue near my house that I visit a lot. I've learned to love on the birds but not want to take all of them home.

They brought in a beautiful, spunky, super unique and special Yellow Nape Amazon who they all were wary of because she can bite pretty bad (like most Amazons). But Captain had a habit of biting anyone especially if this one girl was anywhere close by.

Captain and I instantly bonded. She has a gigantic heart and is super sweet. She never even threatened to bite me at any time.

When I made the decision that she belonged in our home, I started the (grueling) process of adoption. In order to help me "understand what I was signing up for", the main lady that runs the place (who also happens to be the one who Captain hates) decided to intentionally provoke Captain into biting me without my knowledge... I admit that I was curious about her bite since everyone in the shop was so scared of her and everything but at the same time, I really have a problem with her doing that.

So yes, she bit me, and it was nasty. I put her back in her cage and asked her for an apology.

But now that we have her home, she's more gentle than even the budgies!! She's playful, loves to preen us, and is super snuggly.

I really think that it was because they treated her like a biter, that she bit so much. She's gentle and wonderful. (I'm kinda glad to have gotten her out of there.)

That's a big girl! Congrats!

OP
B

brolie

Apr 7, 2015
Colorado Springs
Parrots
yeah the rescue has you sign a waiver saying that you take responsibility over being bit if it happens before you're allowed to handle any birds... i can see how this is massively appropriate, but in the case of being intentionally harmed by them, i don't agree. i have really thought about making contact with the main organization just to let them know it happened.

yeah, ive been a bird owner for 25 years and amazon's aren't the only ones with pretty clear body language!! definitely going to read through the pinned threads and pay attention to other's experiences.. appreciate the community so much!!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
You are a hero to me.
Thank you for rescuing this darling AND for sharing the story!
You just made me feel really GOOD!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
What a gorgeous and big girl! Congratulations!

Most Reactions

Latest posts