Just adopted female eclectus, have some questions!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Its not bad...but you can put her in the mood once she matures. Just be prepared!

OP
C

c3honey84

Mar 9, 2011
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Eclectus-"Roxy"
I really cannot take her biting anymore. When I used to take her out of the cage, I would offer her my arm and say step up. She sometimes would put her beak down first and then step up. This was no big deal. Now, she puts her beak down and bites me, and doesn't step up. When she does this, I close the door and walk away and leave her in there. I come back a little while later and try again. Today, she put one foot on my arm as if she was going to step up, and bit me. I just shut the door and left her in there. But when I do that, I don't even feel like I'm teaching her a lesson, because she doesn't seem to care if she comes out or not. When I do manage to get her out, she likes to sit on her bowl that's on her perch. She bites me when I try to put food in the bowl. I'm going crazy!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I've noticed when Gracie is eating, she's cranky so I don't touch her while she's eating. But any other time she's fine. JoJo started testing his beak to see how hard he can bite before I do something. I stopped him from the first nip. He still tries but I don't allow. Have you tried perch training? That way you don't get bit while trying to get her out.

mygirl

Banned
Banned
Oct 4, 2010
Parrots
Female Eclectus
when we were training our female we used an oven mitt glove, now she can be handled without it, it just takes time time and more time and a lot of patience, she talks crazy when she thinks we can't see her and sometimes will talk to our faces but i think thats pretty common

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I don't use glove for training...Some birds are terrified of gloves....perch training is a better way!

jgourd

Oct 21, 2010
New England
Parrots
1 Greencheck Conure
1 Severe Macaw
1 Gala
1 Eclectus female
1 Military Macaw
When I trained my Greencheek to step up I bribed him with seed. First I got him to take seed from my hand without biting, then I held the see on the other side of my hand so he had to go on the hand to get it. In about three days all was cool.

I don't know if that will work with an ekkie but it is worth a shot.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
You can try....Mine takes treats off my hands....I didn't bribe mine with treats to train, but you could do so!!!! I guess I got lucky mine were easy to train....Took many days of work but's very well worth it....Now JoJo is very hand friendly! He wants out and started to talk infront of us....

OP
C

c3honey84

Mar 9, 2011
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Eclectus-"Roxy"
I've noticed when Gracie is eating, she's cranky so I don't touch her while she's eating. But any other time she's fine. JoJo started testing his beak to see how hard he can bite before I do something. I stopped him from the first nip. He still tries but I don't allow. Have you tried perch training? That way you don't get bit while trying to get her out.

Roxy is already trained to step up. Up until about 2 weeks ago, she was stepping up no problem, whether it was a stick or my arm. Now, it seems like she decided that she is going to do whatever she wants and not listen to me. You said that you stopped JoJo after the first nip. What did you do to stop it?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots

Roxy is already trained to step up. Up until about 2 weeks ago, she was stepping up no problem, whether it was a stick or my arm. Now, it seems like she decided that she is going to do whatever she wants and not listen to me. You said that you stopped JoJo after the first nip. What did you do to stop it?

I discouraged him by saying no biting...Be nice JoJo! I push his beak back when he opens it trying to bite while telling him no. I'm talking to him like talking to a baby and he listened. He's been doing really good....I have noticed that my girl does what she wants to do. She would grab my finger and push me away if she doesn't want to be bothered. Especially when she's eating....She's a hungry bird....lol But they love coming out to play, both are nosy birds, I can't clean their cage in peace, they would be right there watching and being in the way...lol

OP
C

c3honey84

Mar 9, 2011
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Eclectus-"Roxy"
You should see the bruises I have on my arm from her! I have noticed now that when I try to take her out of the cage, she will bite my arm. So I use a stick. When she is on the stand, she steps up on my arm no problem. So I think it might be the beginnings of cage aggression. I tried to have a training session the other day. I had her stepping up onto different places, and I gave her a treat every time she stepped up the right way. However, I did notice that she did not like the training. Many times, she would go for my finger instead of the treat I was giving her.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Both of mine have a little bit of cage aggression. Especially around their food dish! So I usually wait until they're done eating before I take them out. Best to use a stick like you've been doing, I do that with my Cockatoo. She does great with a perch. Then she would come to my arm after she's out of her cage.

Most Reactions