Just for fun tricks

Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
4 budgies, 1 cockatiel, 1 canary winged parakeet
Ok guys, I need some new material for Precious. All of my must learn requirements have been mastered. So now we need to start with the just for fun stuff. Thoughts, suggestions, ideas? Please keep in mind he is almost 17 and because of that has some bits of arthritis. Nothing major, but it’s enough for me to be a tad bit concerned. Stress on his legs is discouraged but regular daily use is encouraged by the vet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KitKatPlus

Sep 19, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
Parrots
Caesar the tiel (foster)
I love teaching the kiss! Put a treat between your teeth and when the bird comes to get it, close your lips and click the clicker (or say "good") and give a treat from your hand. (Important: Do NOT let the bird get the treat from your mouth if you can help it. Our saliva can make them sick!)

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
If Precious is target trained, spin is an easy next step and shouldn’t cause any stress on joints.

If you have a hoop he can walk through, that’s another easy extension of target training.

Those are the first two things Bumble learned after target training and they were really easy.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi. THe tricks a parrot can learn are limited only by your imagination. SPin is a good one to progress to. Shake hands, wave hello, spreading wings, nodding head yes or no, are all low impact tricks that are fairly easy to teach. You can greatly expand this by using props for the parrot to work with. Small wiffle balls are good props to start with, they are easy for beaks to hold and they can be trained to play fetch with them, or play basket ball. A good place to find cheap props is the infant section of large toy stores. Things like rings and rattles and other toys can be adapted. Buying parrot specific toys off the web can get pricey, so check the various sites for ideas, then search the web for the same item from a regualr seller. Example - small desktop magnetic dart board is $24 at one parrot site, but the same thing is $2 from a regualr vendor.

Set up a training area, and a specific time to do training, parrots love regularity. I think you will find Precious will be eager when it comes Training Time.
Check out some of Saltys videos (link below) to get ideas for other tricks.

OP
I
Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
4 budgies, 1 cockatiel, 1 canary winged parakeet
What have you taught so far?0

He turns, gives kisses, gets on the scale, flies to specific safety zones in the house, puts himself to bed, will land on arms or shoulders as we specify, dance, hop.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
What have you taught so far?0

He turns, gives kisses, gets on the scale, flies to specific safety zones in the house, puts himself to bed, will land on arms or shoulders as we specify, dance, hop.

Oh he has a great start! Fetch? Bumble will fetch a pony bead and bring it back to me. It’s pretty darned cute.

Most Reactions