Just found a dove of some kind on my porch!!

budgie_man

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
1 Budgie
I just found this dove that landed on my porch. It is banded on it's leg. It won't let me get any closer than 5 feet from it.
What should I do?

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
Jack- 5 year old pacific parrotlet
If its still there, you can try to lure it into a cage with grain or rice. what color is it? most likely it is wild, unless it is a diamond dove or ringneck. You could also check craigslist for lost birds.

OP
budgie_man

budgie_man

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
1 Budgie
It has a band with numbers and a little capsule with a piece of paper in it. I think it is a homing pigeon. I gave it some water and a little piece of wheat bread, but it is still there.

Also it wont let me near the capsule.

OP
budgie_man

budgie_man

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
1 Budgie
I have him in an old cage that's too small but that's where he is gonna live until he gets back to his own peoples. He still wont let me near that capsule, I assume they are trained in a way so that they only allow access to the proper individual.

Conuregirl

Jan 16, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
Oliver the nanday conure (rescue), Suki the green cheek conure, Picabo the Hahn's Macaw, and Big Bird the dove
i hope you can help the bird! poor guy! i think it's great you are helping it! thanks for doing that!

OP
budgie_man

budgie_man

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
1 Budgie
If he is calm tomorrow I will snap a few pics.

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
Untill you can get to his band or capsule, you can try giving him whole wheat rice, cooked or uncooked, usually doves and pigeons like that. You could also try greenfood like lettuce or parsley.

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

💛Houdini~Sun Conure~2 yrs.💛
OOOOHHH!! What if it's not a dove....but a carrier pigeon?! That would be so neat! I wish one would land on my porch! Lol. Good luck with him!

OP
budgie_man

budgie_man

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
1 Budgie
The pigeon is three rooms away from my parakeet and I always wash my hands and what not.
I gave him or her some romaine lettuce and a bunch of seeds and rice.

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
If he still wont let you near him, perhaps its best to towel him to get the numbers from his band. Then you could google them and see if his owner shows up. It also might be beneficial to post a found craigslist ad.

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
People who fly their carrier pigeons usually have the bands registered. If you can get the numbers off the band you can find his owners. This happened recently to my Grandfather who lives in south florida, one just landed on his porch he gave it some seed and water, contacted the number on the band (he found a club in the area) and reunited it with the owners. Apparently, not 100%, in order to get them to fly back to where they are supposed to go, they keep the mate (they bond for life) and only release one of the pair that way the carrier bird returns home. Or at least thats what this particular person did that explained it to my G-pa. If you cant get your hands on the bird but have it in a cage then take the cage to a vet and they can towel the bird and get the band. I'm sure the owner would really like to have the bird back.

OP
budgie_man

budgie_man

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
1 Budgie
Ok so I put on a glove and I gently restrained the bird and I got a phone number that was in the capsule.

I called and it belongs to a local guy who breeds them and does racing, we are gonne meet later today.

OP
budgie_man

budgie_man

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
1 Budgie
I am just glad I found him his proper home.

grantgrace

Aug 10, 2012
Ohio :(
Parrots
Blue Crown Conure 12-25 ?
And a 5 mo old mourning dove
Maybe he didnt want to go back? sorry..its probably ok..I just dont like animal racing..ex: greyhound dogs, horses, .....birds.

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
glad to hear it had a happy ending :). grantgrace: i heard racing pigeons are very well cared for :). but i completely agree with you about greyhounds and horses.

OP
budgie_man

budgie_man

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
1 Budgie
Yes, it looked to be either a homing pigeon or a a racer.

Most Reactions

Latest posts