Just received a horrible bite

MrNyquil

Dec 6, 2010
DFW, TX
Parrots
Blue/Gold Macaw
Camelot Macaw
Sun Conure
I have a blue/gold macaw and a b/g scarlet mix called a camelot. The camelot is named Tiki. He is just over a year old and has always been one of the sweetest creatures I have ever known (at least to me). He has nipped me when he didnt want back in his cage, but nothing to ever worry about.
This week he has started biting. Nothing has changed in our environment that I am aware of. At first the bites were just really strong 'grabs' at my fingers or hands. Tonight when I reached out to scratch his head, he latched onto my thumb and would not let go. It seems like it was forever, but just lasted a second or two. I couldnt get him to release and flung him off. Blood flying everywhere.
My wife toweled him and returned him to the cage. Right now my emotions are all out of wack. I am feeling rage, pain, but mostly I am devestated by how my sweet little boy could do this. When I go to his cage, he flattens his head like he does when he sees something he doesnt like.
I dont know what to do. Wife is worried about him getting the kids. Its been an hour and I have no feeling in my thumb even though the bleeding has stopped. She says we have to get rid of him. I cant bear the thought.
I cant imagine him wondering why he isnt home anymore and wondering when I am coming back. I also am afraid to let him out again. Not so much for me but for him. Another bite and I'm afraid that I will come home from work one day and he wont be here.
How long should I wait to physically interact with him again? Can I ever trust him? I cant imagine ever letting him near the kids again.
sorry this is so long. I needed to get this off my chest and my wife has already gone to bed.

gopack041

Dec 3, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Parrots
yellow-sided Green Cheek Conure, Jonah.
I wish I could help but I'm pretty new to birds myself. I just have a tiny green cheek, so I can't imagine what you're going through.

patterson

Nov 3, 2010
belfast, northern ireland
Parrots
vincent-b/g macaw archie-alexandrine and coming in june greenwing macaw and millitary macaw this year too fingers crossed
i have b/g macaw but hes only 6 months old he trys his luck seeing what he cn get away with sometime as soon as he gets rough he goes in to his room darkened and put in his cage for time out.

but plenty of longterm owners on here that should give u bit more help, def wouldnt get rid tho take him to vet for checkup as he could be feeling bit under weather or anything

Last edited:

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Well, that sounds like a horrible experience. Maybe a vet visit is in order? I do understand your concern for the children. If you want to keep him, I'd definitely have his wings clipped so he can't fly to and attack anyone. This will give you time to try and figure it out.

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
my b&g is going through a molt at the moment, she's really cranky and nips harder than usual. was there a loud noise or sudden movement that made him jump? if its not usual behaviour it would suggest somethings bugging him, worth a vet trip to make sure. i'd still handle him but maybe not scratch his head, just let him sit on your arm and talk to him. keep the kids away for now just to be safe. x

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
I am sorry. Macaw bites hurt!! I agree that a vet visit just to be on the safe side is recommended. At 1 yr old he is starting to discover his independence. You will need to to take 2 steps back to gain one a head. He needs to be reassured of his trust in you. I recommend that you spend some time just sitting by his cage and talking to him. Drop a treat in his bowl and praise him for any positive behavior. He will soon learn that you mean no harm and begin to build his trust in you again.
Remember that if each of us rehomed our parrots every time they bit us, they would never ever have homes and we would all be getting rid of our parrots. Owning birds means you will get bit. Parrots live a very long time and just like humans they go through personality changes. Knowing how to redirect this behavior and work with you bird can mean a long happy relationship.

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
you should contact a bird behaviorist and take him to the vet. you can also teach him to step up on a stick instead of using your hands. he could be going through "the terrible two's". i agree with grey cloud, every owner will be bitten, but that doesnt mean the bird should be given away. i seriusly recomen contacting a parrot behaviorist for help, they can work wonders. good luck to you!

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
In a suburb of Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon -female, Umbrella Cockatoo - female.
I am very sorry for your bite & your hurt & confused feelings regarding your pet.
My gut feeling says that this is some kind of jealousy thing with the parrot that bit you.
Do you keep your 2 macaws in separate cages?
Did the one that bit you recently act jealous when you paid attention to the other macaw or to your wife or another close family member in front of him? I had a hand fed Blue & Gold macaw for over 10 years, but he never bit me hard in all that time 'tho I had 4 other large parrots in the same room, but in different cages. Birds can be jealous 'tho of your relationships with other birds and/or other people. I can't let my female Yellow Nape Lila out of her cage when my granddaughter is here because Lila is jealous of my very close relationship with my granddaughter. I observed Lila acting jealous & aggressive (while in her cage) toward my granddaughter when she was here, so I know that I can never let her out when my granddaughter is here. I don't know specifically what happened in your case as I was not there observing during your situation, but I am pretty sure that there is jealousy/misplaced aggression going on there. Could the macaw that bit you have recently bonded more with another member of your family & now consider you as competition for affection? These are things to think about when trying to analyse the situation. I would be very cautious regarding handling this bird again in the near future. I wish you the best of luck in the future in your bird interactions MrN.

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
For being able to work in a safe, constructive and systematic way maby start work with Tiki in the cage. Trye to study heas behavior, if something is making hear in a bad mode. Work with hand and maby a "stick", Trye to see erly change in mode. At the same time contact a bird behaviorist and take him to the vet. Good luck !!

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Sounds like a jealous bird to me. I fear for families with little children and large birds. No matter how tame they appear, birds will always do what they do best and that is attack with their beaks. I would ignore it, don't handle him for a day or so leaving him in his cage. then see how he acts towards you after that.

Birds have bad days like us humans do. But with a bird the size of a Macaw, when they have an off day, they can really hurt some body.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
Might I also point out that birds loyalties or affection can change at the drop of a hat. My bird loved me to no end, but then all of a sudden, she switched her affection to my wife, who she merely tollerated not a couple of weeks ago. But now if I go to get her off of my wifes hand, she will bite me, sometimes just a light bite, other times a strong bite not quite puncturing the skin. So I now have to wait it out and see if she swings back to me.

Last edited:

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
On more thing. I think you need to create a situation where you wan feel safe and comfortable when handling Tiki, if you are frighten or not comftable then Tiki will react, loosing the "respect" for you

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
I do have two cats -Riply & Nano bites-
four snakes- china, dip & stick, and Grand Chahee-
Don’t Take It PERSONALLY!!! From a post that Pedro sent earlyer. you might want to read it. I dont know what this sounds like to me, but somethings going on. maybe he is testing you.

one the for sure, DONT overreact! Keep the bird! at least until youve Tried everything! and I do mean Everything, time out in a diffrent room, putting on the floor and walking away, treats, consoltations and asking the vet.

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
Okay, let's see.... I agree he should go to a vet for a check up, I agree jelousy can play a factor and could be the cause... birds can percieve an injustice and wait days to retaliate.

Now for some additional info...

Hybrid macaws are a touchy subject among breeders.... with people on both sides of the fence. A camelot was bred for beauty and not temperment... Catilina crossed with a scarlet. (A second gen hybrid). 3/4 scarlet and 1/4 blue and gold macaw = Camelot macaw. My opinion of hybrids has changed a lot over the past few years.... I still don't like them, but reasons have changed.
Hybrids can be unpredictable at best.... I know this sounds bad, but I'll explain using a Harlequin (greenwing cross with a. Blue and gold.) A greenwing macaw is a clownish and pushy bird that can hold a grudge forever, a blue and gold is a forgiving bird, but they have a strong sense of injustice. When you cross the two you get a bird that is a little of both.... So, in Miko's case he is a pushy bird who needs firm handling like a greenwing, but anytime he gets scolded (or put away) the blue and gold part gets it's feelings hurt, and the greenwing in him holds a grudge about it for days. So I have to anticipate both a blue and gold and a greenwing response to everything. (Case in point, Miko was given up to me because he bit one of the grandkids (out of nowhere).)

The worst hybrid I've ever met temperment-wise, was a hyacinth military cross (additionally the ugliest bird I ever saw as well).

So, you have a bird that is mostly scarlet (nippy and not cuddley as a rule especially as they age)
With some blue and gold (needs affection and gets jelous and it's feelings hurt easily).

Leaving THAT particular bird in a cage as punishment is only going to make all this worse. You need to pretend it didn't happen (if you show reluctance the blue and gold part will get upset and the scarlet part just gets crankier). Be on your guard, but the best solution is to make sure that the rules and what's expected are clearly understood. Make sure he feels loved and not left out, but that he understands your rules don't change.

Go to Avitec's website and buy a product called Avicalm... won't dope the bird, can be fed on fresh veggies, and will help take the edge off of the macaw long enough for you (and hopefully an avian behavoirist) to determine what might be the trigger for that behavoir. (Avicalm is just the enzyme from green tea and it has a sothing affect on birds while not changing their personality or making them dope heads.

As a side note... I never have big parrots out and flighted when children or non parrot people are around. Dangerous mix, any parrot can have a bad day once.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Guys check the date of this thread. Jan. 2011.

Also the OP has only ever posted 3 threads.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
Okay, let's see.... I agree he should go to a vet for a check up, I agree jelousy can play a factor and could be the cause... birds can percieve an injustice and wait days to retaliate.

Now for some additional info...

Hybrid macaws are a touchy subject among breeders.... with people on both sides of the fence. A camelot was bred for beauty and not temperment... Catilina crossed with a scarlet. (A second gen hybrid). 3/4 scarlet and 1/4 blue and gold macaw = Camelot macaw. My opinion of hybrids has changed a lot over the past few years.... I still don't like them, but reasons have changed.
Hybrids can be unpredictable at best.... I know this sounds bad, but I'll explain using a Harlequin (greenwing cross with a. Blue and gold.) A greenwing macaw is a clownish and pushy bird that can hold a grudge forever, a blue and gold is a forgiving bird, but they have a strong sense of injustice. When you cross the two you get a bird that is a little of both.... So, in Miko's case he is a pushy bird who needs firm handling like a greenwing, but anytime he gets scolded (or put away) the blue and gold part gets it's feelings hurt, and the greenwing in him holds a grudge about it for days. So I have to anticipate both a blue and gold and a greenwing response to everything. (Case in point, Miko was given up to me because he bit one of the grandkids (out of nowhere).)

The worst hybrid I've ever met temperment-wise, was a hyacinth military cross (additionally the ugliest bird I ever saw as well).

So, you have a bird that is mostly scarlet (nippy and not cuddley as a rule especially as they age)
With some blue and gold (needs affection and gets jelous and it's feelings hurt easily).

Leaving THAT particular bird in a cage as punishment is only going to make all this worse. You need to pretend it didn't happen (if you show reluctance the blue and gold part will get upset and the scarlet part just gets crankier). Be on your guard, but the best solution is to make sure that the rules and what's expected are clearly understood. Make sure he feels loved and not left out, but that he understands your rules don't change.

Go to Avitec's website and buy a product called Avicalm... won't dope the bird, can be fed on fresh veggies, and will help take the edge off of the macaw long enough for you (and hopefully an avian behavoirist) to determine what might be the trigger for that behavoir. (Avicalm is just the enzyme from green tea and it has a sothing affect on birds while not changing their personality or making them dope heads.

As a side note... I never have big parrots out and flighted when children or non parrot people are around. Dangerous mix, any parrot can have a bad day once.

Anyone who owns a Macaw and especially a Hybrid should print this post out and put it where it can be seen at all times when handling your bird. This to me sheds a whole new light on the subject.

What a FANTASTIC INFORMATIONAL POST if ever I saw one!

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Guys check the date of this thread. Jan. 2011.

Also the OP has only ever posted 3 threads.

Do you ever wonder what happened? Did the problem work out & they lived happily ever after. Or did this poor guy get rehomed?:(

upcgirl

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Parrots
Max--Senegal

RIP Ricco--Mexican Red Head Amazon
Was Tiki warning you that he didn't want to be petted? Every bird gives warning, and when a person "bursts the birdy bubble" they get bitten. I would sit and talk to Tiki. Spend time with him and watch his body language. Watch the signs he gives you, and respect them.

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
I raarely check post dates (need to start, but hard to see on my 4" phone screen lol).

Anyway I suppose others can take the advice when they find themselves in a similar situation.

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
In a suburb of Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon -female, Umbrella Cockatoo - female.
I clicked on "Active Topics" very early this morning, I am a "night person" & found it there, someone else had posted today so I posted also without checking the original date.

Most Reactions