just wondering

gnatnlucy

Dec 10, 2014
Media
Auburndale FL
Parrots
Lucy the Umbrella Cockatoo
Hey! How often do you shower/bathe your too? My girl doesn't hate it but doesn't enjoy it much.

Also I was rereading the sticky about owning a too and saw the more about them entertaining themselves for 8 hours. My Lucy is in the room with me all day but not in contact she is on her perch playing and I'm working, reading, cleaning whatever... When I'm going to switch rooms I move her to another perch ...her cage is only generally for sleep or if I'm not home. Does this count as her being able to entertain herself? She is fine when I am not home.

Lastly the jealousy is reaching its peak...she is clipped and still decided to attempt a flying attack on my son and later on my boyfriend both of which were just passing by. I jumped up and made her walk back to her cage i didnt say anything but a stern no and used a pillow to herd her without touching her. I didnt want to give her the comfort of being picked up. I made her climb up on her own and put her to bed. Today she was a little better then I hung new toys and we were ignored lol. I know you shouldn't react to their bad behavior but I feel like she needs to know that isn't acceptable. I have trained horses, dogs, and even cats they are easy! Cockatoos...I am still unsure what to do when everyone is terrified of her and won't attempt to help me remedy the jealousy. So suggestions from my other thread on this topic won't work as everyone would rather avoid her than try to help her past it which only reinforces her bad behavior cause she is getting what she wants! Apparently they don't understand that! Ugh:white1:

Giggleagain

Jul 5, 2014
Media
Missouri
Parrots
All my rescues: Pepita, Rocky and Eva, my Quaker Parrots Clover and Sweet Pea, YNA Willie Buttons, and TAG Coca.
I have nothing to offer as far as advice is concerned, but your last sentence reminded me of a certain dog trainer, who after being asked by a group of puppy owners how much he charges for training a dog, said: "It'll cost you $3000 to train your dog, and $30,000 to train your family".

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Hey! How often do you shower/bathe your too? My girl doesn't hate it but doesn't enjoy it much.

I tried at least twice a week but I work outside the home and I don't always get them showered in the morning and after work is too late.
On the weekends...they get soaked at least once.

Also I was rereading the sticky about owning a too and saw the more about them entertaining themselves for 8 hours. My Lucy is in the room with me all day but not in contact she is on her perch playing and I'm working, reading, cleaning whatever... When I'm going to switch rooms I move her to another perch ...her cage is only generally for sleep or if I'm not home. Does this count as her being able to entertain herself? She is fine when I am not home.

If my Too wasn't on her stand or on me she was screaming...jealous of the cats only though. She wanted out of her cage. I think if she can stay on a perch/stand away from you then you are doing great.

Lastly the jealousy is reaching its peak...she is clipped and still decided to attempt a flying attack on my son and later on my boyfriend both of which were just passing by. I jumped up and made her walk back to her cage i didnt say anything but a stern no and used a pillow to herd her without touching her. I didnt want to give her the comfort of being picked up. I made her climb up on her own and put her to bed.

I think you did a great job with this. I'm sorry she is aggressive with them.

Today she was a little better then I hung new toys and we were ignored lol. I know you shouldn't react to their bad behavior but I feel like she needs to know that isn't acceptable. I have trained horses, dogs, and even cats they are easy! Cockatoos...I am still unsure what to do when everyone is terrified of her and won't attempt to help me remedy the jealousy. So suggestions from my other thread on this topic won't work as everyone would rather avoid her than try to help her past it which only reinforces her bad behavior cause she is getting what she wants! Apparently they don't understand that! Ugh:white1:
I can't really help you here because my Too would go to everyone and sit on everyone. Just continue to be patient though. You are doing a great job.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Really depends on the bird, and there is much variation among the species. My female Citron loves bathing, the male hates it. The mom and dad Goffins go crazy and love the spray bottle, but their 3 offspring loathe human-induced bathing. They will flap around in their drinking water on occasion, otherwise I have to place them below the sink faucet at a low flow rate with the fine spray selector. The Moluccan loathes water!!

OP
gnatnlucy

gnatnlucy

Dec 10, 2014
Media
Auburndale FL
Parrots
I understand the household fear , she has a big beak and could really hurt someone but I have discussed the need to get her used to everyone and no one wants to even try for the risk of injury and I get it but I feel bad for her and for them as she alienates everyone from not oinlky me but her as well. Its only people the cats come and go and she pays them no mind same with the dog. The iguana however is apparently the equal to Godzilla lol I will keep up with the work on her not attacking passersby but I do not think she will ever be really friendly to them.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
How long have you had her? It hasn't been too long ... right? Give her some time. It may take her longer with males than females. Have them give her treats and loving sounds when they go by the cage.

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
With the bathing have you tried different water temperatures? I found some birds prefer cold water while others are happy with room temperature water.

OP
gnatnlucy

gnatnlucy

Dec 10, 2014
Media
Auburndale FL
Parrots
How long have you had her? It hasn't been too long ... right? Give her some time. It may take her longer with males than females. Have them give her treats and loving sounds when they go by the cage.

I didn't think about it but she is better with my sister than the man of the hhouse I have not had her long several months then only reason I am concerned is she seems to be getting more hostile not less. I feel like if I don't begin solving the issue now then she will be more difficult to deal with. Today I tried having people walk by and ignore her and when she didn't react in the negative I made a big deal told her she was good and gave her some love. She did better. Now its more training the family lol

OP
gnatnlucy

gnatnlucy

Dec 10, 2014
Media
Auburndale FL
Parrots
Good news! Today my sister came over and I asked in her to see if Lucy would let her touch her ..she was a zoo keeper so ... Anyway Lucy stepped up on her with me there and then stepped off of her onto me no issues so that is a big step in the way of progress!

Most Reactions