Kea, the smartest parrot

EmeraldIsle

Mar 26, 2011
Have you guys seen this BBC documentary? These birds are nuts. They're highly intelligent and highly destructive to human property such as cars, homes, etc., and very strong physically. They're an endangered species so they're protected now. People go to extreme measures to Kea-proof their homes and cars. I thought ravens were the smartest, but these birds go far beyond ravens. They even eat human fast food. I saw them eating french fries and drinking beer and coffee, which is supposed to kill parrots but it doesn't seem to kill Keas. They're omnivores and they'll try eating anything. They're really wild and crazy. Would anyone dare own one of these if you could? It'd be quite a handful. If I were rich, I'd like to build a huge aviary and have a bunch of them.

Conurekidd

Mar 30, 2011
Southern Calif
Parrots
YC Amazon Sampson

Sun Conure Bella

Cinn Green Cheek Conure Rexx
Yea there cool. There base diet is actually sheep fat. The only carnovious parrot.
And all wild parrots have wild instinct. Captivated birds are much diffrent ego wise.
I belive all birds are incredibly intelligent. Crows have actually droped wal nuts into streets so when the cars ran em over they ate em. And even drop em on the cross walk so when the lights red. There safe to eat.
Pretty stunning how smart they are.

Oh its also said that people have to sun conure proof there homes.
They chew and destroy the trims and panels lol

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
HAHA....naturally, I want one.

Are they kept as pets anywhere?

Conurekidd

Mar 30, 2011
Southern Calif
Parrots
YC Amazon Sampson

Sun Conure Bella

Cinn Green Cheek Conure Rexx
Idk for sure. But I have seen plenty of images of them in cages with breeder bands.
And a friend of mine on another forum went to new Zealand and took some pretty cool pics of em too.

Most Reactions