ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
As long as you react to it...it will reenforce the whistle ...
just use another flockcall and ingnore theirs ;)

I have/had (I hope) the same problem with Appie if I am not carefull: she loooooves to give me an earfull - but knows she will get banned from the shoulder if she does.
(got rid of 99% of the earpiercing whistles.)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
LOL, *every* single grey I've ever met was a cuddlebug - so I have no idea where that reputation stems from ;)

I've had 4 TAGs, all beautiful and personable but hated cuddling! There are exceptions to every rule!

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986

I have/had (I hope) the same problem with Appie if I am not carefull: she loooooves to give me an earfull - but knows she will get banned from the shoulder if she does.

I don’t agree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?

I don’t agree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With what part of the statement do you disagree?
If a bird is making a noise to get attention and you give it attention, then it knows that all it has to do to get attention is make that sound.....
You have to make sure that the reason (function) for the behavior is attention (and not something else), but in theory, if one is certain that attention is the cause, then any attention provided immediately after said sound will automatically reinforce the previous vocalization...AKA, "OHHH...THAT SOUND WORKED! I WILL DO THIS AGAIN IN THE FUTURE TO GET MY NEEDS MET".

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016

Most Reactions