Keeping powder coat cages from chipping/peeling/rusting?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Curious how people keep their powder coat cages from chipping, peeling, bubbling and rusting? Kiwi's cage is only a few years old, and is already doing several of those things (primarily, the coating is bubbling on the bottom tray and ready to chip off in huge patches!). The open top is so bent at this point it's no good to open, though those panels got bent when we moved/broke the cage down and have just gotten worse with time. A custom-made stainless cage is kind of out of our budget for quite some time and still on the fence on what to do. If we spent money on another powder coat, I would at least want it to last maybe 6 or 7 years (his current one is only about 3 or 4 years old)! I was power-hosing and scrubbing within a inch of its life with a firm bristle scrub brush outside, but am now using a steam cleaner inside to clean his cage (too little, too late I think). How do you keep yours from disintegrating in a couple years or is that just 'how' these cages are?!

Last edited:

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
I have 12- and 10-year-old Avian Adventures Mediana powder-coated cages and a Nina (13 years old) and they have no chipping, bubbling, or rusting. I am also a clean-freak and do a lot of cleaning and rubbing on them on a daily basis. I've rarely had to roll them outside for a "deep clean" due to thorough daily cleaning and weekly "super clean" with the steam cleaner. I love these cages so much for the thoughtful features put into them and for the quality of construction. I realize that they were constructed before the company was sold to Midwest Metal, so they may have been better quality back then, but the powder coating is really holding up well. I think when you take cages outside and get them saturated with water, that metal inside the hollow tubes rusts the bare metal and rust runs out, staining the outside of the cage. I've seen that in a lot of cages at a local parrot store where they routinely roll cages outside for deep cleans. I think I'd try not to get the cage super wet and settle for inside cleaning with a good cleanser like Pet Focus or Avi-Clens, supplemented with steam cleaning, when needed. That seems to prolong the life of the powder coating if my own cages are a good judge of that.

I, too, thought about replacing my parrots' cages with stainless; however, the sterile, institutional "look" of them does not personally appeal to me. I've also seen friends' stainless cages that had rough burs on them and had stains on them as time went by, making them look really unattractive and "ratty." I definitely do not think all stainless steel cages are created equal. In the end, I ended up deciding to keep my powder-coated cages, due to the fact that they look almost new at 10 to 13 years old, the birds are comfortable with the familiarity of them, and the fact that I can get all of them re-powder-coated, when needed someday, for a whole lot less than purchasing just ONE stainless steel model.

Good luck with your choice.

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
my cages are about a year old and i am already replacing them ,two years ago same story,funny enough the brand i use is called the best here.
i don't know what it is but they just don't survive with me,and i also use a steamcleaner.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I got Robin his powder coated cage about 20 years ago... It does need replacing (possibly for Christmas :)) and started showing some minor signs of age at maybe 12-15 years? But recently it's gotten worse... it has some chipping, and one broken weld and the bubbling in the tray you're talking about (that actually happened long before anything else). It is top quality though, so it lasted a long time. California Cage Co. but sadly they've gone out of business :(. It seems like it has a heavier coat of powder coating than the cheaper brands these days.

Raven is using a cheap 'no-name' powder coated cage, which I got it in 2005 (for another bird), and it actually held up impressively well. It only started to show a little wear from the time it was in storage for a couple years, since part of that time it was outdoors (with a tarp over it) but still the elements and a little rain got to it, which "helped" age the cage and coating I believe. It is still in pretty impressive condition considering that. I am just now starting to notice the smallest chipped areas in a couple places. I really want to replace that cage also because Griffin will not stop going into the space between the grate and tray :mad:. I admit I haven't done anything about trying to block the space. I'm wondering if it would even be worth it, or buy another for Christmas.

Remember when I got Griffin's cage? I had to post that thread about the horrible quality of the A&E. With the crooked welded playtop (which the seller helped me get replaced from the manufacturer), the uneven bar spacings, the sharp needle like prongs sticking out in places :eek:, etc, etc. I don't know how long that will last, but I'm at least using it for a while to get money's worth out of it. It seems like the powder coating is quite thin though.

Last edited:
OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I have 12- and 10-year-old Avian Adventures Mediana powder-coated cages and a Nina (13 years old) and they have no chipping, bubbling, or rusting. I am also a clean-freak and do a lot of cleaning and rubbing on them on a daily basis. I've rarely had to roll them outside for a "deep clean" due to thorough daily cleaning and weekly "super clean" with the steam cleaner. I love these cages so much for the thoughtful features put into them and for the quality of construction. I realize that they were constructed before the company was sold to Midwest Metal, so they may have been better quality back then, but the powder coating is really holding up well. I think when you take cages outside and get them saturated with water, that metal inside the hollow tubes rusts the bare metal and rust runs out, staining the outside of the cage. I've seen that in a lot of cages at a local parrot store where they routinely roll cages outside for deep cleans. I think I'd try not to get the cage super wet and settle for inside cleaning with a good cleanser like Pet Focus or Avi-Clens, supplemented with steam cleaning, when needed. That seems to prolong the life of the powder coating if my own cages are a good judge of that.

I, too, thought about replacing my parrots' cages with stainless; however, the sterile, institutional "look" of them does not personally appeal to me. I've also seen friends' stainless cages that had rough burs on them and had stains on them as time went by, making them look really unattractive and "ratty." I definitely do not think all stainless steel cages are created equal. In the end, I ended up deciding to keep my powder-coated cages, due to the fact that they look almost new at 10 to 13 years old, the birds are comfortable with the familiarity of them, and the fact that I can get all of them re-powder-coated, when needed someday, for a whole lot less than purchasing just ONE stainless steel model.

Good luck with your choice.

Perhaps the daily light cleanings is the "trick" instead of waiting to do a 'rough' deep cleaning. It's probably a good logic that the saturation rusts the cages from the inside out. My mom's always washed her birds cages that way, but the zons are in stainless cages, only the cockatoo is in powder coat (and gets a new cage every 5/6 years). I'm personally quite fond of the look of stainless, but after extensive research, we found that the ones in the $1000-$2000 range were basically just as hit-or-miss in construction as powder coats (you were paying for metal, not better craftsmanship) and there wasn't a whole lot of size selection, so they were too small or ridiculously big (for a single zon). We got quotes on a custom-made stainless cage to the tune of $4000!!!!:eek::eek::eek: That's as much as a halfway decent car and we simply can't spend THAT much on a cage for Kiwi (though we do accept donations....anyone? lol:D). I think at this point in time, we are stuck getting another powder coat. Not only is the cage starting to get the chips and bubbling, it's also always been a bit smaller than we'd really like for Kiwi. I hate cage shopping and wish we had unlimited money lol!

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
My oldest cage at this point is Niko's. The cage is 5 yeas old. He's in a Kings Cage model #506, and it shows absolutely no sign of any wear and tear, no bubbling, no chipping, no rust (yet...knock on wood).

I also clean cages daily (no, I'm not a neat freak, it's just how I start my day :32:).

A previous cage I had for Hunter (Kings Cage #406) was atrociously rusted on the seek skirt AND the bottom tray after 'only' 12 years. Hopefully it won't happen to Niko's....those things are not cheap.

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Stainless is really out of my budget, even if I could find one that was high-quality steel AND thoughtfully designed. Most I've seen are so spartan looking. I guess I'm spoiled to my Avian Adventures cages, which are both functional and beautiful (all mine are glossy forest green, a color they no longer produce). I'd rather save that money for an unexpected vet bill or something. A couple in my bird club said they have been having their cages re-powder-coated a group at a time (apparently it's cheaper this way, once the shop does the setup to go ahead and do several). I don't recall how much they paid (I can certainly inquire at the next meeting if anyone is interested), but they were very happy with the results. The shop gave them safety sheets on the powder coating used, which is great to have on hand. My own cages are a LONG way from needing that but I am already planning for it so I don't have to go out and choose a new cage I don't really want because these were no longer safe. I've looked at what's out there now, and it's dismal. I miss the old Cal Cages and the old-style Avian Adventures cages. My pet lovebird lives in a Kings cage. It's nice but it's definitely not one of those forever-after cages. It's only about four years old and already showing signs of wear and tear. Some bird-savy person needs to open a cage company with beautiful, bird-friendly, safe, affordable cages. :)

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Well, if someone came up and handed me $4000 (anyone offering? Kiwi might even let you hold him:54:) Northwest Cages is definitely who I'd order a custom one from. The owner was very nice, knowledgeable, able to justify the cost of his cages and has been making custom stainless cages forever. The portfolio images he sent were beautiful too. Just simple, no-frills cages. I wish we had the money for one and I'd put in an order in a heartbeat:( My moms amazons have had the same stainless cages their entire lives (over 40 years). The metal is still SHINY, no rust or oxidation or anything but a few minor scratches/dings!

I kind of like a more modern/industrial look personally, so stainless fits right into my tastes. And I prefer the "old style" cages that are simple looking with simple locking mechanisms (Kiwi is not a lock picker and those bird proof locks they put on ever dish and door drive me NUTS) and I'm also not so fond of the "blocky", overly-perfect mass-produced looking modern cages. I can't say I'm fond of the powder coated cage texture either. I wish it was smooth and plain. I like the epoxy coated, but those are only made for small birds:( I did manage to find a powder coat cage that has the old-school look for around $400. It's 32X24X61, which I think is an ideal size for Kiwi. He is a big climber, so I think extra height in a cage is more of a positive for him more than extra width. And it has the open top he likes so much. Perhaps if I don't power-hose it and just do frequent, small cleanings from day one it will last longer... It's just kind of disappointing because I *REALLY* had my heart set on stainless instead of another powder coat cage:(

Last edited:

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
The problem with powdercoating is that, if there's a pore, crack or scratch, anywhere, moisture will find its way in & creep, as a film, between the metal and the substrate, leaving a trail of brand new corrosion behind it. Once that starts, the only cure is to have it all sandblasted off and either re-do the powdercoat, or use paint. I've already done a couple of powdercoated cage trays, using a special paint (totally inert when dry, solids are non-toxic).

In some cases, where there are only very small cracks etc., a good automotive powdercoater can re-melt the coating into place. That only works if there's no corrosion underneath, though.

If I were to build my own, scratch-made cage, I'd probably spray it with Rhino-Liner or similar. It's thicker than powder coat, and unbelievably tough & durable (it can even make a concrete structure "bomb-proof"!).

Powder coat had a run of great popularity in automotive applications a few years ago, but now, quite a few problems are cropping up. It's popularity is on the wane, because of issues like the ones with your cage.

Last edited:
OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Before I take the plunge and buy this cage, I scrutinized Kiwi's cage and where the rust has formed... If I do get the new one, I think I may "line" the tray with a piece of linoleum and use water-tight aquarium silicone to permanently affix it to the bottom to try and keep the tray from ever rusting in the first place. I would still use my washable cage liners (though this cage is significantly larger, and I will have to make a new set). Other places I've noticed rust is on the locks (the cage I'm looking at appear to have the old-style of locks), seed guards and a few welds. I'm sure theres not much to be done about welds, but the seed guards I would probably make a washable, waterproof backed "cover" system for (almost like crib bumpers, modified for a seed guard). Don't think I will spray it with anything for fear it would be potentially toxic.

Any feedback if the linoleum tray-liner and seed guard covers might be a good way to extend the life of a new powder coat cage?

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Interesting about the lining the tray with linoleum. Having had some experience with silicone (make sure you don't use the kind with the mold retardant in it, which is toxic to fish and bids, as well, if they should ever chew/pick at it; get the kind safe for aquariums), I just wonder if you could ever get it 100-percent sealed. Metal to linoleum might have some issues, especially as it dries and retracts and as the linoleum moves. I would worry about micro openings in that seal that would leak water under that linoleum liner, especially for those heavy-duty, high-pressure outdoor water hose cleanings. Mold and parrot respiratory systems probably wouldn't be a good combo.

I do think you could probably lay that linoleum on the bottom and cushion the tray against damage and repeated moisture of tossed wet foods, parrot poop, and cast off water from baths in the water dish. You could then easily remove them for deep cleaning day, then dry them well before replacing. Although as I mentioned already, my trays on all of my cages haven't experienced that rusting issue, I am wondering if the rust is gaining a foothold from repeated damage to the tray during vigorous scrubbings. A scratch in the powder coating could certainly be the start of a big rust patch. The AA cages come with touch-up paint. I've always used that if the bars got rubbed anywhere (repeated swinging of a toy or even shipping damage). You might be able to obtain a small bottle of the white touch-up paint from your cage manufacturer (if they don't have that, get it from AA).

Another thought. . . . If it's just the tray that's rusting, you could go get just the tray re-powder-coated. If you wait until they're doing someone else's cage of the came color, I bet it would be super affordable.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I guess I didn't think about the possibility of minute amounts of water getting under the linoleum. The reason the cage rusted is Kiwi takes a bird bath in his water dish EVERY DAY. He also showers with us everyday, but the bird loves the water! When we used paper as a liner, he'd soak it every day, and the 'patch' of rust is directly in the line of fire where he empties his dish. One little chip probably set the problem off.

The cage itself is just not 'right' for him either. It's never been really, we bought it because it was the biggest cage we could find when his old cage broke (welds popped). It's really too small for an amazon his size and the top no longer opens securely (got bent when we moved) which was his favorite thing ever. It's not worth it to re-coat the cage for us.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Ugh... I think part of the problem must be in the way I clean. Just doing my weekly cleaning of my vivarium and had the $60 cave structure disintegrate in the sink:headwall: SO pissed about that! But if my birds cage is falling apart and my vivarium decor is falling apart, I must scrub things too hard or something:rolleyes:

I will have to be extra careful with any new cage we get Kiwi! I think I need to start using less elbow grease and more soaking time or something:confused:

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Ok so what is the key to cleaning ? And making it last ? I just bought one and would like it to last as long as I can.

It seems like being delicate with it is the key! I know I won't be using any harsh scrubbers with the new one. And perhaps keeping it as dry as possible is also a good idea...

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
Ok so what is the key to cleaning ? And making it last ? I just bought one and would like it to last as long as I can.

It seems like being delicate with it is the key! I know I won't be using any harsh scrubbers with the new one. And perhaps keeping it as dry as possible is also a good idea...

Thank you ! Right now BB bath are just spray. So after the bath i have been wiping down the cage. Seems to keep it clean and all water clear . I just want it to last as long as I can and keep him safe

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
They used to make a product called Cage Shield, which was some kind of food-grade polymer or wax or something that made nothing stick to the cage grate or bars. Things would wipe right off. It was wonderful stuff! I was so sad when it was discontinued. I found this one that is similar but I haven't ordered any yet. You might give it a try; I'm going to try it: Natural non-stick spray makes wiping up cage messes easy ? Really Natural

That said, I'm an aggressive cleaner, too. I have great success with the Nature's Miracle BIRD cage wipes (they come in several formulas but I'm careful to get the bird-safe wipes). I'm one that HATES the smell of Poop-Off and just can't use it (spray or wipes). It just makes me gag. The NM wipes don't smell like that. I also really like Avi-Cleans, which I buy as concentrated and dilute (economical). It dissolves sticky food residue, beak wipes on bars, and poop. Then I just steam clean on "deep clean" day, usually just one day a week, unless they eat something really nasty messy (spaghetti night, for instance, or pomegranate). Like I said, I haven't rolled my cages outside for cleaning since our big move three years ago (and then I only did it because they were already going outside to the moving van anyway, and I thought I'd make them really clean for the new house).

Fortunately, my birds aren't big bathers (well, willing bathers, I should say) so they get showers on the play tree or in the human shower. That is a challenge if they engage in water-play in their main cage. That would certainly explain the rusting. Stainless really might be an option for you for that reason alone.

Oh, and, as long as we're sharing cleaning techniques (and I'm thrilled we are!), I found something at the auto parts store called a "lug nut brush" that has these soft bristles in a triangle pattern. They fit PERFECTLY between the bars of a 3/4" cage spacing. It works better than any of the bird-cage-specific cleaning tools I've EVER purchased, and it's really sturdy and has thicker bristles than the cage one. It cleans all those crevices where crumbs tend to collect. Happy cleaning! :)

Last edited:

Most Reactions