Kenji's vet visit

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Got back not to long ago, Kenji did so much better than I expected, and NO towel was needed to get him in his crate! When the vets assistant took him out with the towel he SCREAMED bloody murder, and was so unhappy that he had blood tears. In the end I got some good, and also some bad news.

First though, Kenji is a whopping 529 grams! He's a big grey!

The good news, Kenji has beautiful healthy plumage, is a healthy weight, has no infections, and his the test came back great.

The bad news is that his wing was broken at the tip/thumb some point in the past, unnoticed by his past parronts. The vet said it was surely caused by his corner perch, since he is unclipped his primaries can go through and if he panicked(which he sometimes does) he would thrash causing his thumb bone to go at a odd angle and break. She said it still hurts him, and offered some pain medication for him which I said yes to, and also got some for Rosie because of her leg which often aches. The other bad news. At first she was worried Kenji might have a sinus infection(remember me mentioning his runny nostril in my last post). His poor throat was all red, and the roof of his mouth had more mucus than it should, his ears were a little pink/red, and his "blood tears" were a little thick. His test results came back fine though and no infection was present. SO glad I'm paranoid and brought him in now, rather than later! She said this is all due to his own dust and is the downfall for African greys living indoors.

I still hadn't decided on which air filter I wanted, but I'm going to make that a priority. Kenji also, to his dislike, will need to be misted daily. He does have a bath bowl, but doesn't always use it when I place it in his cage. She said misting daily will help a ton with the feather dust. Kinda funny since Rosie was also ordered to get daily misting for her own developing feather dust. Although Rosie throat looked healthy compared to Kenji's irritated one.

Video! At the beginning of the video I get Kenji in his crate WITHOUT toweling him! I was fully expecting to do that, from what his past parronts said. He did so amazing!
[ame="http://youtu.be/10uSpaNy0oc"]Kenji vet - YouTube[/ame]

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Im happy it went well, Bosley only likes misting if water.is running like the shower or sink tap.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
that was AWESOME ASHLEY!!....you were so worried about Kenji, but he made it so easy!

WHEW!!....and he didn't bite you, wow!

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Im happy it went well, Bosley only likes misting if water.is running like the shower or sink tap.
Good idea! That also helps with Rosie so maybe Kenji will also like it :D
that was AWESOME ASHLEY!!....you were so worried about Kenji, but he made it so easy!

WHEW!!....and he didn't bite you, wow!
I'm SO happy with how things turned out today, I really was afraid of how things would turn out when I got back home. But he seemed to go back to normally fairly fast, apart from being a little tired. Once at the vet I relized the best thing to do was just leave him alone and talk softly. he was already having his space invaded by the vets and assistants, I would be the person he could trust not to manhandle him :)

Update
While sending messages to Kenji's first parronts I found out they did know of his wing injury, but it happened a long time ago. Nearly 20 years ago, so he would have been around 3 years old then. They think it happened at the same time Don's exwife stormed through the house throwing boxes all over, and he got scared and broke it. Which now makes a lot of since that he still has that phobia of boxes. Because when they were being thrown around he also experienced pain through the break. At least that's why I think he's still so afraid of them.

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Wow, Ashley, Kenji surely trusts you a LOT for him go to into the carrier so nicely. :) LOVE the grumbling noises he is making. HAHAHA!

Would a humidifier help with his sinus?? You said he doesn't like getting misted, so perhaps the humidifier could do the job?? OR how about taking him into a steamy bathroom once a day?

SO glad he's overall healthy! :)

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Wow, Ashley, Kenji surely trusts you a LOT for him go to into the carrier so nicely. :) LOVE the grumbling noises he is making. HAHAHA!

Would a humidifier help with his sinus?? You said he doesn't like getting misted, so perhaps the humidifier could do the job?? OR how about taking him into a steamy bathroom once a day?

SO glad he's overall healthy! :)
I was very proud of him, he did so much better than I expected! I could really see his trust in the way he returned back to his cage, and wasn't wary of me. I would have felt guilty if he ran away and hid.

I asked the vet about using a humidifier, she was against it and said they can develop some terrible water born illnesses. Do the members here clean them daily to avoid that? She gave me some great tips to be able to mist him. One that didn't send him running away last night was to stand further away so the mist is just reaching him, he almost seemed to like it.

If I'm able to get him into the bathroom I can do that, but I probably can't get him to do it daily. But at least it will help some :)

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Glad to hear his visit went well and you got him there and back without him being mad at you!

That's sad about his wing and how it got broke :( is there anything to do to fix it? Or will he always have pain?

Most Reactions