Kermit vomited last night

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
Last night, I was letting the birds out of their cages as always, and Kermit did not seem eager to come out like he usually is. So I took him out and offered him some food. He did eat a little bit but was not as eager as usual. Then he started puffing up and not acting interested. Then, he flew to his cage and started shaking his head, and he threw up a clear liquid. I knew he was not well, so I moved his cage out of the bird room in case he had an infection, so it wouldn't spread to the other birds. The vet was closed and I was debating taking him to the emergency vet, since they wouldn't be able to diagnose him. So after vomiting, he continued to close his eyes and puff up, and stand on both feet. I decided not to take him to the emergency vet and wait until today, when I remembered catching him crawling on an oil painting, and nibbling on it. I figured he might have ingested some of the paint. I covered his cage and put him to bed, but when I checked on him in the morning, he was fine like nothing ever happened. He was sleeping on one foot and tucking his head back like normal when I found him on his swing. I took him out and fed him and he was very eager to eat. He was very curious in everything again and was not puffed up. My theory is that he ingested some paint and vomited it up, was feeling nauseous afterwards and then was fine. I haven't taken him to the vet yet since he's acting completely normal. What do you think happened and is it safe to move him back to the bird room?

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Is there any lead in that paint? Depending on how old it is, all sorts of stuff could have been added.

Best have a blood test IMO? Explain to CAV what has happened. Sooner the better.

Keep them off stuff that is not considered there's is the best policy, even if you have to use sheets to cover over.

Last edited:

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
even if he's back to normal get to a vet. Rio had an evening where he was "off" then fine the next day then went downhill immediately after that

OP
FlyBirdiesFly

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
I don't know if there's lead in the paint but I moved the painting out of the room. Kermit has a vet appointment on Wednesday and it was around time for Ducky's annual checkup so he's coming too.

Last edited:

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
There can be any number of toxic compounds in paints... not just lead! Get him to a vet for blood test looking for heavy metals... he might look fine but that means little.

Most Reactions

Latest posts