Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Kilaya is so funny! I love the last 2 videos.

How are the green cheek babies doing? Time for an update?

OP
Erithacus

Erithacus

Jun 29, 2010
Media
Malaysia
Parrots
2 CAG
6 GCC
7 Cockatiels
3 Love birds
1 Bulbul
Kilaya is so funny! I love the last 2 videos.

How are the green cheek babies doing? Time for an update?

One was booked long time ago. The new owner came to collect him early this month. I laid down 3 conditions before selling it to him. 1. No wings clipping 2. Fresh food must be fed on regular basis and 3. Must not be kept in a small cage.
He passed the interview. His daughter chose #2 baby or to be more precise #2 chose her and was named Treasure.m

I am teaching the other 2 outdoor recall. One of them is doing quite well.

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
One was booked long time ago. The new owner came to collect him early this month. I laid down 3 conditions before selling it to him. 1. No wings clipping 2. Fresh food must be fed on regular basis and 3. Must not be kept in a small cage.
He passed the interview. His daughter chose #2 baby or to be more precise #2 chose her and was named Treasure.m

That's wonderful, educating your prospective customers! :)

I remember on the video you showed of the babies learning recall in the house, one in particular seemed to be a natural. Do you happen to remember if this was one of the babies you're keeping?

OP
Erithacus

Erithacus

Jun 29, 2010
Media
Malaysia
Parrots
2 CAG
6 GCC
7 Cockatiels
3 Love birds
1 Bulbul

That's wonderful, educating your prospective customers! :)

I remember on the video you showed of the babies learning recall in the house, one in particular seemed to be a natural. Do you happen to remember if this was one of the babies you're keeping?

That was #1. He started off fine but lately can't seem to get him to fly. #3 is doing better. I nearly lost #3. Before I started outdoor recall training, I had been taking the birds for outdoor walk regularly to let them familiarize with the surroundings. #3 wasn't bonded to me yet and hardly wanted to step up on me. And at one point he refused to wear the harness. I checked with my friends who had been using string to attach to their birds' foot when training outdoor recall before freefly. They said it was fine. I don't feel comfortable with using a string. I bought an elastic cord. I was afraid the jerk might dislocate his leg.

One day, on the way home after feeding the birds at my sis in law's house, #3 took off suddenly. The snap hook broke loose and he was up in a tree, about 5 storey high. I knew I couldn't get him down as he was never attached to anyone of us.

I quickly walked home and brought the other 2 babies along hoping he would come down to join his siblings. He climbed even higher. I had lost hope of getting him back. I payed their voice recording on my phone. The volume was too soft to be hear as the trees were along a main road.

I had to return home as I haven't fed the birds yet. It was 8 am then. After breakfast I returned to the scene. I transfered the voice recording to a portable mp3 radio player. I brought a baby out this time. When I played the player, he got excited. He flew back and forth between 2 trees but didn't want to come down. I really lost hope then. At 9.30am I had to leave for work. Before I left for work, I passed by at 10.30am, he was still in the tree.

I returned at 12.30pm with the 2 babies in a cage, a piece of spray millet and the radio player. This time he flew down but refused to fly to me when I got near him. My heart was pounding very fast, I was too excited. Since he didn't want to come to me, I stood away from the cage. After a few manuevering here and there he finally landed on the cage to greet his siblings. Then he climbed down from the cage to eat the millet. I slowly walked to him, talked to him softly and I slowly approached him with my hand commanding him to step up. I was too busy eating the millet and ignored me. This is the best time to grab hold of him and quickly took him in the car and put him in the cage.

Since then, I harnessed all the babies when I took them out. He is now doing very well on outdoor training since this incident. When I launched him, he always flew back to me and no more sudden take off now during our outdoor walk.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Wow! What a scare that was with baby #3! I'm so glad you were able to get him back. You were right, the string your friend suggested to you can indeed dislocate a leg. You are doing it a much better way. Keep it up, you'll get there with consistency, then you have something to teach your friends!

OP
Erithacus

Erithacus

Jun 29, 2010
Media
Malaysia
Parrots
2 CAG
6 GCC
7 Cockatiels
3 Love birds
1 Bulbul
[ame="https://youtu.be/KM6GovI1A4Q"]Kilaya at playground. - YouTube[/ame]

OP
Erithacus

Erithacus

Jun 29, 2010
Media
Malaysia
Parrots
2 CAG
6 GCC
7 Cockatiels
3 Love birds
1 Bulbul
[ame="https://youtu.be/SIr5spMP9Ik"]African grey and green cheeks in slomo flight. - YouTube[/ame]

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I love seeing Kilaya fly in her different outfits ;). Did you sell the other two conure babies and are keeping this one?

OP
Erithacus

Erithacus

Jun 29, 2010
Media
Malaysia
Parrots
2 CAG
6 GCC
7 Cockatiels
3 Love birds
1 Bulbul
I love seeing Kilaya fly in her different outfits ;). Did you sell the other two conure babies and are keeping this one?

I sold one. The conure is in good hand. The other 2 are very well trained in recall. One of them would fly back in the house from the gate when I opened the door. There are request from people to buy my conures but they are not for sale at any price.

OP
Erithacus

Erithacus

Jun 29, 2010
Media
Malaysia
Parrots
2 CAG
6 GCC
7 Cockatiels
3 Love birds
1 Bulbul
So 4 green cheeks now? Parents and two babies you're keeping?

Parents stay in an aviary. I have 4 babies at home. Pipi about 17 months old, Zizi 1 year and, Eclipse and Zico 4.5 months old.

Most Reactions