Kili bit my little boy!! Help!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I don't know that any specific type of training is necessary for this specific situation. It's more a matter of everyone becoming more familiar with your birds body language (and him becoming more trusting/familiar with his human flock members). Just be sure any little ones know that they must be very calm, use their "inside voices" and make slow movements around the bird from now on. Also that if the bird is "excited" to interact at a safe distance (bird is dancing? have them dance out of range, but still in view;)). Birds excite and scare very easily, especially in a new home experiencing new things (and small children) for the first time. In both scenarios, biting is their go-to reaction. In time, your bird will get used to being around children (and that even though they are noisy and run around, they aren't dangerous or being "mean").

For better socialization in general, try getting your bird harness trained or invest in a bird backpack so he can come out in public. Start with short trips, like a walk down the street and gradually move up. Don't let anyone hold/pet him, but get him used to seeing a wide variety of people/other animals doing a wide variety of things. In time, he may (or may not, use common sense) be social enough to step up to a stranger, but thats a ways off. For now, work on getting him used to strangers being a non-threatening presence and gutting him out into the wider world.

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Goffin Too, U2, Scarlet Mac, B&G Mac, DYH Zon, CAG and a
Birdbrained Wife!
The BIG issue here is that you have a U2 and a child. They can be great together but YOU must teach your child to read the body language of the Too.

As stated above the bouncing your son was doing in U2 language is excitement and in some cases aggression. Waving a toy in any birds face and being animated is asking to get bit.

U2's in general should be treated as a Bi-Polar child. They are sweet and love to cuddle but can flip like a switch and go psycho. Only with time will you be able to read the bird and understand its triggers. Once you know the triggers, you can avoid them.

All of the above help is great but a new U2 and a child is a dangerous thing. He needs time to acclimate and you need time to learn him as well as train him. It will likely take a few months for him to be comfortable in his new home. Until you know the bird's body language and he is comfortable, I would keep the young one away.A U2 can snip off a finger in the blink of an eye.

As far as real training tips, google "the Parrot Wizard" He has a great book and a bunch of videos. I personally like his stuff because he explains everything in depth.

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Birdbrained Wife!
Oh, forgot one.

Don't fear the BEAK!!! You and everyone in the house will get nipped and or bit. It's what birds do. You can train them not to but it takes work.

Today I got seriously nailed by my sweet little Goffin. It was all my fault. 30 seconds later he was cuddling and kissing me. Darn Bird!!! Gotta love them!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
An important component to the discussion is how your son has processed the bite. Does he seem fearful of Kili or has he learned to moderate his behavior and keep a safe distance?

Many adults can trace unease with a particular type of animal to a traumatic event experienced in childhood.

JustineBird

Jun 3, 2015
Orange County California
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo
I would try to sloly get the bird to adjust to the new place then slowly interact it. After a few days trying different things, bring it out, talk to it with other family around so it gets used to others. The more it feels comforable with others she less chances of it biting. I am not saying it won't bite, there might be some times it will be angry and bite eveyrone and sometimes completly mellow and nice to all.

denine

Aug 10, 2014
south
Parrots
I have a quacker parrot, & umbrella cockatoo
Kili is going to attempt to bite your son again. Im sorry. My umbrella cockatoo pierced my dogs ear. I love them am looking for another but they are bipolar

denine

Aug 10, 2014
south
Parrots
I have a quacker parrot, & umbrella cockatoo
Kili is going to attempt to bite your son again. Im sorry. My umbrella cockatoo pierced my dogs ear. I love them am looking for another but they are bipolar
But they can be the sweetest thing in this world. I've wanted one my whole life & god blessed me with this lady named jackie. I got him his 6foot cage for $100. Yes. The first time i had to board him I thought they'd put him in a bigger cage but they didnt so they are not on my list of callbacks. Ive decided he's going everywhere i go know. Im still pissed off

OP
R

Ripstied

Jun 30, 2015
Cookeville, TN
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo
An important component to the discussion is how your son has processed the bite. Does he seem fearful of Kili or has he learned to moderate his behavior and keep a safe distance?

Many adults can trace unease with a particular type of animal to a traumatic event experienced in childhood.
You won't believe it but my boy was trying to give Kili a treat just a few hours after the incident! He begs to pet her but I only allow it a few times a day when Kili is calm and I'm right there providing direction. She seems fine with him but she watches him like a hawk. You can tell he makes her nervous. When he's not interacting with Kili he's your typical loud, rambunctious boy running around, and she's not crazy about it. As a further update, Kili has really settled in a lot since we got her to TN. She wants to step up on my arm now whenever I offer and she's quieted down a lot. Way more effectionate like when we first got her. she was too quick for me and climbed to the top of her cage last night, but I put my arm up and she climbed right on. A week ago it would have taken me 30 minutes to get her off. She doesn't like seeing out windows. She'll occasionally open her wings and scream non stop for 10 minutes. It's a real problem because my house is all big windows. She's gotten way more used to it though. Still having problem with finding a healthy treat. I'm finding that the breader must have treated her with really bad stuff. She LOVES pizza, hamburger, and she about dove head first in a glass of milk I had the other night. I've tried every kind of nut...no go. I'll have to try the suggestion of Cheerios. If not, I'm thinking I may have to resort to Cheetos or something bad for training purposes. (My kids don't even get chips but rarely. Lol). She just doesn't care about anything else! I made salmon the other night. She loved that.

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Birdbrained Wife!
I don't think you Too hates windows! I think he really really likes them. What you describe is natural Too behavior. He is making flock calls.

Toos love to yell and scream at windows to see who is in the neighborhood!

I somehow lucked out with our U2. he is nearly silent as for screaming but talks up a storm. The previous owner must have trained him to talk instead of scream for his flock call. In the year we have had him he might have yelled twice.

As far as his eating, take away all the bad stuff and he will eat the good stuff eventually. My U2 does not eat half the amount of food the my little Zon eats. I was worried about it for a while but his weight is steady, he is just not a pig. My little Goffin eats twice what the U2 eats.

Most Reactions

Latest posts