Kiwi's new years resolution!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Well, let me start of by saying he didn't exactly pick his resolution due to being a bird, but he sure liked lasts years resolve of getting him out in public and socializing him with strangers, so I think he'll like this years resolution of working more with target training and learning a puzzle (maybe more?). I brought out the target stick yesterday, and he remembered right away what he needed to do. I still have to order the puzzle from Amazon (really need to get on that), but I think we'll work on this one since theres also the ability to (haha) see if he could learn colors and shapes to (we'll see about that, for now we'll work on getting the pieces in the correct holes):

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/DUS505PM-Psitta-Puzzle-Medium-Educational/dp/B000795ZHM/ref=sr_1_5?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1419776657&sr=1-5&keywords=parrot+puzzle]Amazon.com : Zoo Max DUS505PM Psitta Puzzle Step 1 Medium Educational Toy Base 8in x 5in Bird Toy : Pet Chew Toys : Pet Supplies[/ame]

Psitta_Puzzle__64813.1411716729.1280.1280.jpg

Since he doesn't enjoy being petted, but is friendly and inquisitive, I'm always looking for other non-contact ways to interact with him so we both have fun :32: I think this would be a perfect activity and more challenging/rewarding than some of the more basic tricks. I plan to tie in a color/shape cue for each piece from the beginning in *hopes* we can eventually use those for identifying color/shapes (not keeping my fingers crossed, he is an older bird and not a CAG). He's still a really smart bird, just hasn't ever had anyone take the time to, uh, refine his intelligence so who knows what he's capable of? Our focus immediately after getting him was training him to be a good companion, not a genius lol. And there seems to be a lot of 'hope' old birds can still learn new tricks:D

I'll also be starting a new 'diet', in the sense of going more seasonally with his chop and a lot of new bird-friendly dishes. He eats really healthy/maintains a healthy weight now, but he's been on essentially the same diet for a few years now and seems to be tiring of it. I think he'd like a little more variety and change and I feel a seasonally changing diet would be more in line with how he'd eat in nature:) I'm very excited to start that! Will update this thread as time goes on with updates on how he's doing. Hopefully I have an Einstein in the making :cool::green:

Last edited:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
April, I wouldn't doubt that Kiwi is a genius. You've made so much progress with him, I think it's a great time to change things up a bit and give him some new challenges. Looking forward to updates. I can't wait to hear how Kiwi does with the colors and shapes.

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
Zilla and I will definitely be following Kiwi's progress and rooting for him!

Who knows maybe Zilla will get inspired by how well he does and start trying to learn some new things. :D

Most Reactions