Laminate floor protection?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Well, while it has been a hassle to have our kitchen and main living area torn up, a big positive out of the whole deal is we'll be able to upgrade to hard floors throughout the entire 1st floor (except bedroom and bathroom). Unfortunately, our only affordable for us option is laminate flooring for the living area (vinyl tile in the kitchen where it will be subject to more potential for spills and moisture). We don't want to dip into our savings for vinyl floors throughout. Too much over what insurance will pay and not budgeted for at this time.

This means something is going to have to be done about Kiwi and his dish baths. I love him and always consider him in home decisions, but we aren't rich enough to put down more durable flooring and his baths are going to destroy this water-phobic flooring. Any ideas how I can protect these soon to be new floors from water damage? Previously, I kept him on a 'platform' I made out of a big plywood board with peel and stick tiles on top. Works great to protect carpet from bird poop, but I'm worried any moisture that got off the platform would seep under the edges where I couldn't see it to wipe up and create warping issues with the floor. I think switching to a clear floor protector would help that issue, but that leaves the issue that if we're out for a few hours and he bathes and empties a dish of water onto the floor, no one will be there to clean it up and it'll ruin the floor. I need some kind of bath proof dish (Kiwi gets baths in the shower almost every day, it's not like he's rarely bathed) or perhaps install some kind of 'slash guards' around the water dish area? Maybe sheet acrylic bolted on the side of the cage? I don't know, but we still have probably 2-3 months before the other repairs are done and the flooring is ready to be installed so I don't have to figure it out ASAP but do need to figure it out before those floors go down. SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
First, I would put down a large "splat mat" with a gripping bottom---one of the things that goes under a high chair. Then. over the top of that, I would roll out one of those transparent vinyl carpet protectors (spiked on one side, smooth on top,cheap)

It actually might be better if you used the transparent mats that are often found under computer chairs. Then you wouldn't need the splat mat underneath, as their bases tend to be smooth (As opposed to the spiked carpet protectors)....Let all of the plastic off-gas outside.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We have natural hardwood floor at home and laminate wood floor at the cottage. We use a product called PolyGuard for both. Kiwi's buddy is a like water baby and if he is not splash for some reason or another (regardless of the size of the container) he's off his game and we are looking closely and considering a Vet Run.

I have seen PolyGuard at the Big Box Stores from time to time. Far more common at your local natural hardwood store /installers place of business. A bit more expensive, but you will quickly find that you just do not use that much of it. We have about 2000 square feet combined at the cottage and home and have had a gallon jug for four years and we are about 2/3's the way though it. Our Heritage Home had 5600 square feet of 100 year old hardwood flooring and once the first couple of application had settled in, a gallon jug would last a bit longer than a couple of years.

PolyGuard is water based and has a very light aroma, which is gone in moments. We have been using it for over 20 years.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
First, I would put down a large "splat mat" with a gripping bottom---one of the things that goes under a high chair. Then. over the top of that, I would roll out one of those transparent vinyl carpet protectors (spiked on one side, smooth on top,cheap)

It actually might be better if you used the transparent mats that are often found under computer chairs. Then you wouldn't need the splat mat underneath, as their bases tend to be smooth (As opposed to the spiked carpet protectors)....Let all of the plastic off-gas outside.

NOTE: Just a word of caution regarding plastic mats that are not smooth of both sides. A Laminated or Hardwood floor will become damaged (require replacement) if you use one with spikes and/or nubs on one side. Those styles are for carpet 'only' application.

FYI: Great advise regarding off-gassing prior to use!

Last edited:

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
We got new laminate flooring earlier this month. I went to Home Depot and bought a commercial mat and put it under my fids cages. So far it’s worked great and I spent about $25 on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I've had laminate floors in the past and they seem hardy. However, my type was susceptible to water damage from the past owner; some areas were warped. Realtor suggested this occurred from consistent water spills. It was in an area easily covered by a throw rug! (they might have had an aquarium or possibly dog/cat water bowls??

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I feel your pain. My dining room has the cheapest laminate "wood" flooring that my dog bowls (on a mat) caused them to warp...They are literally ALL warped now, to the point they hurt your bare feet if you walk on them, they are absolutely destroyed due to the dogs wet feet and water bowls, the birds water, etc. Luckily it's a very small area and I know how to do flooring myself, and the subfloor underneath is completely level and perfect to put down ceramic tile, so I'm going to rip it all out soon and put down ceramic tile myself, grout it, and be done with it. It won't take me but a couple of days to get completely done. I absolutely finished with laminate flooring...

I don't have any good suggestions for you, as any and all mats and the like that I've tried just ended up trapping water underneath them, and there's another warped floor board that is peeling up. I hate it. I'm sure what you are buying is much better quality than what mine is, I have no idea why they did what they did because they put really great slate tile in the kitchen which connects to the dining area, and it's tiny. So why they didn't just tile the dining room too I don't know, but I bought enough slate tile at Home Depot for basically nothing to do the entire dining room and my walk-out level floor too.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?

NOTE: Just a word of caution regarding plastic mats that are not smooth of both sides. A Laminated or Hardwood floor will become damaged (require replacement) if you use one with spikes and/or nubs on one side. Those styles are for carpet 'only' application.

FYI: Great advise regarding off-gassing prior to use!

Yeah, I thought about that and that is why I thought a nice splat-mat underneath might protect from the spikes, but you are right- it is probably better to go with the smooth type.

Most Reactions

Latest posts