Banned
Banned
Sep 26, 2013
Honolulu
Parrots
2 Budgies!
*Who hate people
To those with Cockatoos/experience with them

So I've been getting back into wanting a Cockatoo again. Note that I'm entirely aware of the plucking/screaming/ect. and I'm planning on living my life out with them. I'll also be clearing it out with neighbors

I've always wanted an Umbrella, but there's so many different species to choose from! From your experience, which Cockatoo has been you're favorite?

Kimmied

Sep 7, 2013
PA
Parrots
I have one umbrella cockatoo. A female 3 years old named Mina.
Umbrella. But if you are renting I wouldn't get one they are too loud. I like the umbrella because they are comical and snugly but if raised right can be independent. They are so so smart. I just love mine.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I don't own any toos, but I have worked with many... (obviously!)

My daughter prefers toos, but I am more of a big mac/pair bond person myself.

U2's can be great birds, but they absolutely have to be taught to self entertain.

It's all about patterning with a U2.

And until the bird turns five, you really don't know what you've got. That's when you find out if you've raised them right, or if you have a potential problem on your hands.

Just my two cents.

Most U2 problems are human caused.

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014
I had an umbrella male for ten years, and we loved him to pieces, but I worked full time and unexpectedly got pregnant with a third baby. Now that my kids are older, and I'm a SAHM, if we could get him back, we would take him in a heart beat. We adopted him to an empty nester couple, and they adore him. They've had him for the last 7 years. Therefore, if you're willing to put up with the noise, dust, need for attention, messes, screaming, then they can be very rewarding and loving creatures. The umbrella cockatoos though, from what I hear, are the loudest of all the birds in the pet trade. I'm not sure if that's true, but I wouldn't doubt it.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I had an umbrella male for ten years, and we loved him to pieces, but I worked full time and unexpectedly got pregnant with a third baby. Now that my kids are older, and I'm a SAHM, if we could get him back, we would take him in a heart beat. We adopted him to an empty nester couple, and they adore him. They've had him for the last 7 years. Therefore, if you're willing to put up with the noise, dust, need for attention, messes, screaming, then they can be very rewarding and loving creatures. The umbrella cockatoos though, from what I hear, are the loudest of all the birds in the pet trade. I'm not sure if that's true, but I wouldn't doubt it.

M2'S AND HYS ARE LOUDER... BUT A U2 HAS THAT STUBBORN, I CAN KEEP THIS UP ALL DAY IF I HAVE TOO STREAK...

SO DO M2'S BY THE WAY... AND THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY THE NEEDIEST OF THE BUNCH...

U2'S ARE NEXT IN LINE, IN MY OPINION.

LCSC2'S ARE PROBABLY THIRD ON MY LIST. THEY CAN BE HELLACIOUS TANTRUM THROWERS... (or they can be sweet. Or some combination of both, ten seconds apart...)

Hy's are jet engine noise loud, but they don't tend to be screamers.

My Greenwing can also shatter glass, if and when she wants to. Fortunately, she rarely wants too, and very few things spook her to that point.

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots

RIP July 4, 2014
What are HY's?? Hyacinth Macaws?

What are LCSC2's?

Lesser Sulfur Crested Cockatoos?

Our umbrella would not only scream, but he would "talk" for much of the day too. The only time he was quiet was when he was sleeping. I know when he would cuddle, he would make a "squeaky purring" like noise, and say "I love you" over and over again, and "kiss" noises.

OP
I

imbadatmakingusernames

Banned
Banned
Sep 26, 2013
Honolulu
Parrots
2 Budgies!
*Who hate people

U2s seem perfect for me actually! I've had my eardrums be shattered from years of lion dancing, I don't mind mess, and I need attention too haha.
I would defiantly try what other people have done and teach him/her to talk rather than screaming.

AAAA, I'm still deciding! Maybe a friend for him/her could work out too ?? :confused:

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots

RIP July 4, 2014
I hear Galah's make great pets too. They don't tend to be as loud as U2's, M2's, or Goffins. I could be wrong.

I saw a guy at a pet show with two U2's in harnesses, and they were beautiful and obviously well taken care of, but the guy looked beat up and haggard. His clothes had holes all over them. He told me that he's had them since they were babies, for 15 years.

They were very tame and sweet, but I'm sure this guy put in a lot of love and care.

If you plan on getting married, having kids, a room mate, etc. . . or a major life change, just make sure the U2 can go through it with you.

OP
I

imbadatmakingusernames

Banned
Banned
Sep 26, 2013
Honolulu
Parrots
2 Budgies!
*Who hate people
I hear Galah's make great pets too. They don't tend to be as loud as U2's, M2's, or Goffins. I could be wrong.

I saw a guy at a pet show with two U2's in harnesses, and they were beautiful and obviously well taken care of, but the guy looked beat up and haggard. His clothes had holes all over them. He told me that he's had them since they were babies, for 15 years.

They were very tame and sweet, but I'm sure this guy put in a lot of love and care.

If you plan on getting married, having kids, a room mate, etc. . . or a major life change, just make sure the U2 can go through it with you.

Nope, I dont think I'll be getting kids or married!! But I do plan to stay in one area and pretty much devote my life for them!

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots

RIP July 4, 2014
Well, very few people really know how to properly care for a Cockatoo, let alone an Umbrella. Check out mytoos.com before you decide.

OP
I

imbadatmakingusernames

Banned
Banned
Sep 26, 2013
Honolulu
Parrots
2 Budgies!
*Who hate people
Well, very few people really know how to properly care for a Cockatoo, let alone an Umbrella. Check out mytoos.com before you decide.

I have, the noise doesn't bother me. of course I have to check with the neighbors.
I read about the checklist plus a whole lot of other websites, and some caretaking seems hard but capable. I'm willing to pay 5k minimum, and 10k on all the supplies to start. Of course I'll be getting more birds before (I really want 'tiels, finches, IRN, sennies).

Most Reactions