Leaving a Parrot alone? A mistake?

Kai

Dec 14, 2010
Parrots
In 2007 while on a vacation in Colorado my cat Ganesh disappeared. It was heartbreaking for me to receive the news while away. The day I returned home to NY my mother found a Quaker Parrot in a Magnol
Hi everyone,
I have a 5 year old Quaker, my schedule has changed and so I recently adopted a 7 year old Nanday parrot to keep my Quaker company while I am gone from the house. I just completed about a 30 day quarantine with the Nanday and introduced them in their separate cages 3 days ago. The Quaker shows some aggression but mostly they just stare at one another w/some mild parallel behavior that could be just coincidental, like eating and preening at the same times. My normally sweet quaker gets very aggressive when I touch the Nanday's cage, she starts screaming and files at me with her mouth OPEN! Sometimes just yells at the Nanday doing the aggressive show backing up and yelling thing (I'm sure we have all seen from our angry QP's) There have been two sword fights through the bars of their cages, initiated by my Quaker, but often they just stare and chatter back and forth. I understand these process take a while, sometimes a very long while and i am willing to accept they just may never be the best of friends... I was just wondering did I do the right thing getting my QP some company just so she won't be alone and bored all day while I'm not in the house? Or am I just stressing her out with this new bird and all the changes to her schedule that are now imposed on her, like being in a cage? The agency I adopted the Nanday from will take her back and re-house her, but then My quaker is all alone when I'm gone :( I'd love to know the Forums thoughts on this matter. I've just started a 3 year grad program and also working. My longest day out of the house is about 9 hours - that's just once a week though - and the other days about 5 hours a day. My quaker and I are pretty bonded and I just get so stressed and sad when I think about her all by herself in the house. HELP! Should I return the Nanday or stick this out? Can QP's be alone? They are such social flock animals it breaks my heart to leave her in the room when I go, but it also breaks my heart to see her so upset with this change :( Should I just be stronger when I leave the house and trust my QP will be fine by herself? I just don't know????

signed
Kai
sad and worried but want to do the best thing

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
That's such a difficult situation for all parronts. Personally, I feel if they have enough things to stimulate them - radio, toys, etc. - they should be okay.

Our fids have spent as much as 8-9 hrs alone when my husband and I are at work and the kids at school. We leave the radio on for them so they have some "human" contact. On the weekends they're out of their cages pretty much all day. I hate that they have to spend time alone in their cages, but unfortunately, that's the way of the world.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Sometimes we feel guilty for leavng our birds alone during the day and get a playmate for them. I agree with the first post that if we have enough stimulation that another bird is not the answer. Sounds like your bird is more stressed by the newcomer than being alone. I would give them a while though. You just finished the quarantine period and that is work. Show the resident bird lots of attention and one on one time and maybe he will come around. Jendays are very nice birds.

Chris Winkler

Oct 8, 2010
Media
NW Pennsylvania
Parrots
Echo TAG,
Kodak Wt Face Tiel &
Tobi Male Ekkie
They do get use to a routine & will expect to be left in the cage. In fact my guys will sit in their cages. @ times even if I'm home for the day. I also leave the radio on

OP
Kai

Kai

Dec 14, 2010
Parrots
In 2007 while on a vacation in Colorado my cat Ganesh disappeared. It was heartbreaking for me to receive the news while away. The day I returned home to NY my mother found a Quaker Parrot in a Magnol
Thank you all for your advice and replies,

I will stick it out a bit longer and see if my Quaker becomes less stressed and aggressive towards the Nanday and towards me if I get too near the Nanday's cage...Then if that doesn't work I suppose I will try to make peace with my sense of guilt at leaving her alone for hours a day. I suppose if I am honest with myself the thought of another bird with my QP eased my own sense of guilt and sadness at leaving my QP alone more than it actually might ease her...

SpiritBird I love the quote :)

Thanks again and Happy Holiday's
-Kai

Most Reactions

Latest posts