Leg bands and Black sunflower seeds!

palmetto941

Nov 14, 2013
Tecumseh, MI
Parrots
Cosmo-Blue Quaker born 11/11/2013; Mattie-Green Quaker born 3/2010; Tiki, Timneh African Grey, RIP 11/2017; Pogo, Congo African Gray
Simba's leg band: closed, CTP (a design of sorts) 225
Any idea what, where, why, when, etc????

Also, I have a ton of black sunflower seeds that I purchased for birdies previously and I was wondering if the Big Lug Simba the BnG could have them also. They are in the shell. Cosmo the blue quaker was raised from the breeder on seed and veggies....I can't seem to switch him to pellets and include fruit so I am not adding more seed/black sunflower seeds to his diet....would love to be able to let Simba munch on some of those :) Seems our fids are scared of new foods and sometimes are just picky....frustrating it is.....

OP
P

palmetto941

Nov 14, 2013
Tecumseh, MI
Parrots
Cosmo-Blue Quaker born 11/11/2013; Mattie-Green Quaker born 3/2010; Tiki, Timneh African Grey, RIP 11/2017; Pogo, Congo African Gray
Yeah, I looked through those on Sunday but I couldn't find anything I thought pertained to Simba's leg band. The information is quite confusing. Oh well. I don't know enough about the system to understand what I'm looking at I guess.....thank you!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Jo, didn't the rescue have all the info on Simba and his first owner? Isn't his first/original owner now in assistant living, or do I have my stories all messed up? :eek:

OP
P

palmetto941

Nov 14, 2013
Tecumseh, MI
Parrots
Yes, he is and yes, there is limited information. We did ask about going to meet the original owner but didn't get much feed back from it. Maybe I'll try again :) Simba is Mr. Cantankerous with a capital C. I'd like to know more.....

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
CTP could either be a company with several locations, or maybe a few different aviaries that all have the same initials, as there is one located in Indiana, one in Michigan, one in Texas...

And whoever the CTP breeder(s) is/are may be supplying birds to Petco.

Only information I've found about a possible breeder with those initials is Parrots Talking in Michigan.
http://www.manta.com/c/mmnptlq/parrots-talking
USFreeads Michigan: Congo African Grey Babies

If this is the correct place, then CTP may stand for Cotterman's Talking Parrots, or just "Talking Parrots" for short.

That's the only lead I've been able to get so far.

OP
P

palmetto941

Nov 14, 2013
Tecumseh, MI
Parrots
As for the black sunflower seeds, I'll be giving them to my Aunt who is an avid photographer of wild birds.....spoiled birdies at that....lol She has the warm bird bath in the winter and takes care of them outdoors year round.....so they will be going to the right place... Her pictures are every bit as good as any you see in books or mags.... :D

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
You could always sprout the sunflower seeds as well!

Sorry, forgot the mention that! :) Sprouted seeds are healthier than dry ones, though!

Buzz2537

Aug 16, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
Thanks Wendy for the link to this thread. I had no luck finding anything. Jc8057 is the band number. From what ai read, and some of the info was contadicting but if what the one source said is true, then JC would be the breeder and 80 would be the hatch year and 57 would be just numbers to distinguish the chicks. I inquired about the band because a Facebook friend posted a lnk from Craigslist for an African Grey, supposedly a female whose age is 2.5 to 3 years old. After emails back and forth I finally got a return call from what seemed to be a toung girl not very experienced who claims she bought the Grey from a Petstore a few years ago and was told she was a baby then later told she was a year old. No paper work, she does not have it anymore. Just seemed a bit sketchy in that maybe I was not getting the whole story. i asked how she knew it was a girl and she said the pet store vet said it was. I would prefer a female, not sure why except that my Boo was a female and my Hahnna is a female and I could be wrong but they just seemed so easy going and people that have males seem to experience more biting etc. none of mine ever bit or screamed so I figured stay with the tried and true. I now feel sorry for this bird, and would like to try and help. Anyone with any input on this band number? Thanks, Elaine and Hahnna

Most Reactions

Latest posts