Leg Bands- Yay or Nay?

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Gcc- Conlan... Sun Conure- Mouse...Jenday- Kellan... RLA- Happy...B&G Macaw- Rhage
The 2 Conures I got from a breeder have leg bands. I know these are for identification but as this is a male and female and I can't cover the floor grate with paper out of fear they will nest... No babies lol.... I'm just afraid the leg bands will get trapped in the grate.... They are closed banded. The grate is about 3/8-1/2 in bar spacing.

So my question is do you all keep your bands on or have an avain vet remove them? How safe/dangerous are they? My other 2 dont have bands.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I had my vet remove Parkers. Vet pointed out that the number on the band was too generic to be of any identifying help and it was causing a skin tag. So away it went!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Kiwi did not have a band when we adopted him, but if he has I would have had it removed for safety/comfort.

If you are worried about identification, I believe conures are large enough to have microchips implanted. You can ask their vet about it.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Another nay, loose it! Would you clamp a leg band on your human child? And make her keep it? May be off the wall, (that's me), but I see them as disrespectful to my baby!

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
You can microchip your birds....

I've had budgies with leg bands and currently have two conures with leg bands. Never had their bands removed. Charlie, my mitred conure, is 21 years old and has had his band ever since his breeder put it on him.

I am caring for a wild caught african ringneck, imported May of 2013, and she *had* a band. It was an open band and I had it removed by my a-vet.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
If my green cheeks have babies I plan to band them, as you only get one chance to do so with a closed band.

If I could microchip them I would do that as well, but it's really at your own discretion if you want to remove them or not, just taking care to have it done by a professional and have a record of it being done.

StarryEyedGirl

Jan 16, 2015
Connecticut
Parrots
I have one bird. He is a Black Capped Conure and his name is Harley. His hatch date is 2/3/2014.
I had Harleys removed. He was picking at it as it was irritating his leg. I kept it for memory sake but I did have his removed.

Most Reactions

Latest posts