Sadie13

Jan 18, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Mango Beak-Eclectus,
Red- CAG,
Opal- LSC2,
Porkchop- Yellow sided GCC
Knuckles is very cute! I am thinking of the sonic character and a too crest fits perfectly lol.
I can't wait to see pictures of her!
I just bought a cage last night online so i know as soon as it comes i will want to start setting it up but my husband will be insistent that we have 2 months to wait!

I think my main concern now is how bad are my neighbors going to hate me! We babysat a sun conure for a few weeks for my aunt and he was a screamer. No one said anything, but they know i have birds. Neither of mine "shriek" so i guess we will see. My gray will do a piercing beep at the window and my one neighbor says she can hear her when she is outside but not in her house. She wasn't complaining, more amused than anything! I got lucky with my neighbors! My house is pretty well insulated and i have about a large bus length between my closest neighbor (others are further) so i guess we will see how that goes.
They are so easy to fall in love with! I remember when i picked my eckie up from the airport, it was love at first sight. I'm hoping the same for opal!

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Well, all we can do is use the best of our knowledge to insure that they are as happy, and hopefully quiet as possible.
Our Military Macaw has started testing the waters with screaming. Ignoring it is the only way, and it works. It takes time. It all takes time, and patience, and a commitment to practicing positive reinforcement.
I'm also wondering how my two Macaws are going to react to her. I'm already both of their preferred person, and they both want to be on me, all the time. Where am I going to put the third bird?!

OP
Sadie13

Sadie13

Jan 18, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Mango Beak-Eclectus,
Red- CAG,
Opal- LSC2,
Porkchop- Yellow sided GCC
well said, when my grey first came to me she would beep ALL day, the longer you ignored her the louder and more frequent the beeps would get! It took about 6 months of ignoring it (even through a couple migraine episodes) and we are almost beep free. Just a few in the morning when she hears you waking up, or when the microwave goes off, just to make sure you heard it the 1st time.

i was making birdie breakfast this morning and chopping and filling the bowls, and my husband comes in and said "you realize your going to be adding to that in a couple months?" i couldnt be happier!!!!

i could not imagine a military on my shoulders, they are so big! I walk around with my eckie on me, nut sometimes i forget he is there. I'm sure its great though, they are beautiful macaws!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Having said that, the greater sulphur-crested cockatoos are a fairly common pet in Australia, being extremely cheap, and I have not heard of there being too many problems with them. Maybe the behavioural problems you hear about in American and European birds are a result of inbreeding?

That's very interesting! You don't see many Greaters in US and are expensive. Could it be MAYBE the Greater has a 'different' more laid back personality than the Toos you usually hear about? Are Australians doing something so differently? Don't know, but that is an interesting observation nonetheless.

Most Reactions