Lethargic Quaker Parrot

tauraco

Jan 13, 2018
Parrots
Nyx- Quaker Parrot
My 5 year old quaker parrot, Nyx, has very suddenly become much sleepier then usual. He spends most of the day just sitting on my knee and grinding his beak. He doesn't seem unhappy, but it's not at all how he was before. I've taken him to the vet several times with multiple blood tests, a fecal test, and viral + chlamydia, but everything came back normal, with the only thing being that his white blood cell count was higher. He's been on and off antibiotics (Baytril), and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. He spent the summer with two diamond doves, one of which got sick herself but with much different symptoms, to which antibiotics didn't seem to work. This inactivity comes in waves, with some days being better then others, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what causes better days then others. Very recently, his poops have gotten watery as well. I'm confused and running out of things to do to help. Has anyone heard of anything like this before, and is there anything else I can do to try to figure out what's going on? Thank you.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm sorry you have a sick bird. With sleeping
all the time and watery poop i believe you are very right to be worried. Is your vet avain certified?

Bsytril is great , but it doesn't cover everything. Sometimes a different antibiotics work better. My quaker is currently on azithromyacin. But you might also have a yeast issue, common after antibiotics. Or a fungal issue. Or other.

Warmth is critical for sick birds. 80-90 degrees. I use a radiant heat panel called the sweeter heater, available on Amazon. Is powerful, may have to set back from cage.

Diet is important, so share what yiu feed. A burd on all seeds will have low vitamin a.

To upload a pic of bird abd poop, click go advanced under text box, click paperclip, choose pic, hit upload on far right, then close window and post.

Chronic zinc toxicity is also possible, and can be found lots of places.

Seeing yiur veterinarian again or choosing a new veterinarian fir a second opinion is best course if action

OP
T

tauraco

Jan 13, 2018
Parrots
Nyx- Quaker Parrot
Nyx's diet includes Tropican lifetime formula pellets, vegetables and fruits, and some nuts and seeds as a treat. He has a heat lamp that he sits under, and the apartment itself is pretty warm.

My mom came to visit recently, and he almost went back to being completely normal, playing and chirping, but the day after she left, he slowly started to get worse. I spent the whole day with him, as I'm in school and everything is from home, but I don't know what causes these sudden turns in his behavior.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Birds hide being sick. They hide it till they can't.
You have 3 very important symptoms
High white blood cell count
Lethargy
Watery poop
You have a sick bird.
Tiu can try a video consultation with current vet, or seek a new avian veterinarian. They may be willing to do a video consultation as well, or you may find you have to drive an hour or more each way, many if us do.

I am in day 10 of fighting for my quakers life. I whish I would have had symptoms earlier.

I can't guess what's wrong with your burd. Only I agree with you something is very wrong.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hi there tauraco, I'm very sorry to hear that Nyx has been unwell. I'm sorry too that the treatments you have tried so far don't seem to have been particularly helpful. Perhaps it may be time to seek a second opinion from a different avian vet. The following link may help you find one close to you...

https://www.aav.org/

Unfortunately it is very difficult to determine what may be troubling Nyx via a forum like this, we can only take a guess at what might be wrong at best. I hope you are able to get a conclusive diagnosis and help for your baby soon. All the very best of luck to you both!

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
You are clearly in need of another Vet visit as stated above.

Noted that you state: "He's been on and off antibiotics (Baytril), and it doesn't seem to be doing anything." Are you providing the antibiotic for the complete requested time by the Vet. Far too many owners do not provide the medication for the complete Vet recommended time period. This can cause problems in that illness keeps repeating.

Hope that your Parrot does get better.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Have they looked at xrays or done any specific blood testing for viral disease? I agree that you want an avian certified vet if at all possible--- even if it means driving an hour or two.

A CBC is a good starting point, but it won't always tell you if a bird has something viral or chronic. The fact that white-count was high does make me think that when you had him tested, he was actively fighting SOMETHING, but a CBC won't always tell you what.

Aspergillosis is another tricky illness that doesn't really have a specific test...It's more about ruling everything else out first. Scoping a bird is another option when it comes to that, but scoping is fairly invasive and generally not offered unless you have a vet that really knows birds and has the proper equipment.

Is he housed or living in the same home with any other birds?

Even if he isn't around others, disease can be dormant for many years and then flare up if immunity is compromised (as it can be in times of stress etc).

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts