Let's Talk Rescues

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I went with Boysmom to a rescue yesterday and it was interesting. There were many birds who were screaming as well as plucked. I was wondering if a bird can be negatively affected by being there? If so, will those bad things remain with it during its lifetime?

I advocate adoptions from a rescue but now that I have been to one, I have reservations because of all the screaming some birds do. I am wondering if a bird who was not a screamer or plucker when he arrived will start afterwards. I felt overwhelmed with all the noise so I wonder how a bird would react and deal with it.

Overall I admire those who are involved with rescues because I wanted to cry about what I had seen.

Last edited:

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
Please consider that most of those birds were given up to rescue BECAUSE they scream and pluck! That is what I have found in my work with a local rescue. As to whether they recover, I think that depends greatly on the conditions they are kept in, and the work devoted to them by the rescue, and will vary greatly with the quality of the rescue.

I know of fosters who specifically take either pluckers or screamers because they are willing to put in what it takes to try to re-hab them. But, as we all hear every day, both of those problems can be quite resistant to change, so success will vary. The most important thing, though, is can the birds be given a good quality of life, even if they remain bald? Or screaming? That is the measure of a rescue, I'd say.

OP
M

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I have a macaw that would scream in the morning and in the evening when he was younger. Now that he is much older, 12, he doesn't do it anymore. We are his original owners so I think with patience and time, bad behavior can change. He also has been living in a single bird household until recently. So far, no increased vocalization from either bird. Knock on wood. lol.

What concerns me is that with such a large amount of birds that do scream or pluck, how can one prevent others from picking up that behavior? It seems to be a catch 22 situation in a rescue because they see and hear what others do due to being overcrowded.

Last edited:

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
IMO a rescue is not helping any bird if they are overcrowding their facility. I once visited a pet store in CA that also boarded birds. What a horrifying scene that was. Too many birds by far and the noise was unbearable. The good news was, no bird was lonely or unstimulated!! Deafened maybe, but not lonely.

Don't you think the size of the facility as well as the size of the individual enclosures makes a huge difference to the birds?

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I'm sure they're probably relieved to get outta there. Mine doesn't scream or pluck, and she was around that 24-7. As a matter of fact, she stopped plucking when I brought her home. Being in that place made ME want to rip my hair out, so I understand. :). My god the noise!

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
My amazon BOsley was in a rescue for a year before we got him. It was well run, but of course there was screamers and pluckers. He never picked up either habit. I stay in touch with them and help out where I can. From what I can see birds don't pick up those habits, that being said birds do become stressed from being in a rescue as their whole world changed when they got there.

OP
M

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I would like to hear what other members have experienced with a "rescued" bird. I would like to get one from a rescue in the future, but a bit wary with a potential screamer and the possibility of my other two picking it up.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I agree with Sonja ,Its easy to go wrong with birds . Birds are not an easy pet .These poor guys [im thinking a lot of them ] People were not doing what they were supposed to with them .Now their UPSET!! I have 12 birds half I got as babies half rehomes .I think theres a benefit to having both. The babies have taught me a lot about birds and built my confidence with them:) So when the rehomes came along I was ready and understood them better [They taught me lots of patience].I just had a experience with a bird that you would think would not be able to work out being in a home. This is Pearl the Goffins story- I was looking for a cage on craigslist .I came across an ad for a 200 dollar Goffin with cage. You never see them around here.I thought something has to be way wrong with this bird for that price [maybe plucked bald is what I thought] . Well I had to know what was wrong with him . It got the best of me and called.The lady said the problem was his screaming .She explained he had gotten spoiled and then her husband got sick . So the attention was taken away from Pearl . They put him on a 3rd room floor from 11-5 than brought him down and put him to bed covered at 8. So you can see the problems.The lady wanted the best person possible for him. Of course my brain went to that must be me ![not even thinking do I need this bird] .I went to see him the next day [of course she had a lot of people coming ] with him being 200 dollars. I got there and this was the most insane thing Id ever seen with a bird . They let him out of the cage ,he tried to fly and attack me the daughter and the husband. She forgot to mention that problem [and it really turned me off] Then of course the screaming and tempertantrums .Goffins make this sound like their the exorcist [WOW!!!] I walked away from that one thinking glad I got to experience that .But even for me [I love love love birds] I was ok leaving him to someone else. The women called a few days later begging me to take him. I knew what to try with him but I didn't want to put my family through it.I even tried to help her with ideas to keep him [with what I thought they were doing wrong] I was concerned the fate of this bird being bought and resold. I ended up seeing him 4 or 5 times. She just didn't want him [she said she didn't love birds like me]. So I warned my family ,had two back up plans if he didn't work and told her that . I know a guy who has a aviary for problems birds and a friend downstate with a rescue. I decided this because I has able to get him back in his cage with a stlck [they threw a sheet over him ]. Now that hes here Pearls a totally different bird!! He has his set times out,plays newspaper ball , dances talks . Is very gentle with me ,likes to hop in my lap. Hasn't bit me once . But he has tested us with the screaming and we have figured that out . All in all he just wants attention that he knows he can count on . Hes a neat bird !! This is all in a month in a half that Ive had him . So don't write of problem birds [their MAD] .I think they need a whole environment change and someone willing and ready to do different things. I think knowing as much of the birds history is helpful .

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
If the rescue is well run they should tell you about the parrot your considering, its history and habits. Both ours came from a rescue, neither of the pluck or scream. What the rescue did tell us was true, our African brown head is not fond of women, and our Amazon will fly at someone he does.not like. Since we knew at the time of adoption we were able to work on this.Also our rescue here will take the birds back with full refund within 30 days if its nor working, regardless of the reason.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
As for plucking [I had a bird that plucked ] But died before I knew of this. After of course you rule out something medical . I think your best be for them is free flight and a aviary [so they can fly] .l Ive seen them were you can make one in part of a room that would be fine . I live in New York state so mine would have to be inside. I lived and breathed this problem with my bird. Lots of vet appointments and research trying different things .Also talked to a lot with similar problems. They may always pluck but we can make their lives happy as possible. I hate to say the people I talked to with plucking birds [it was emotional] . I wish it was medical then I think we would be able to help them better. Treat your birds like celebrities [I think think you cant help but win them over.] I feel so strongly about the happiness in birds :)

OP
M

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I think I will learn more about this rescue and, possibly, put in an application. My husband is a bit reserved because right now our house doesn't have any birds with bad habits (screaming) and likes things the way they are. I think I would like to take in one more bird and my extended family will be complete.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
I think cause you have birds. You will have a good take on the ones you see at the rescue. My advice interact with everyone your interested in [you might be surprised ]. I have a feeling you will know. Take this into consideration [with the noise] . Im able to have 12 birds cause when I bring in a new one [after quarantine ] They really conform to the rest of the flocks routine. Meaning normal noise . They just may follow your well behaved birds :)

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
I really learned a lot yesterday at the rescue with Merlee. I have submitted an application for a little plucked guy I made out with while there. He wanted to kiss me the whole time. Maybe it will work out, as there were others interested in him before me. I agree with Merlee that the noise level was unbearable. The facility was clean and all the cages were new looking and clean. All the birds had plenty of toys and were fed top qaulity Harrison's pellets with mash daily. I hope our sharing this experience will encourage others to adopt from a rescue and get these birds the homes they deserve.

I will say we saw 2 people who wanted to adopt birds that we felt were totally wrong for that person. We were concerned that those birds would wind up right back at the rescue when the fad of the new pet wore off and the true loudness of that bird became apparent. We did try to steer them to a more suitable bird, but they didnt seem interested in our advice.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
I was going to go with a rescue, a 5 y/o female Sennie, her name is Kito. She was/is listed on CL and Kijiji. Sweet sweet lil thing, so I inquired about her. That's where it ended. Just the process of acquiring this bird what seemed to me was endless. I understand screening and making sure it's a good fit, but these people wanted me to attend all these classes (that I had to pay for) do a home check, and then if I passed their tests, then maybe I could have her. I felt like it was an interrogation, not an adoption, something your supposed to feel good about. Well it's been over 3 months since I have inquired about her, and she is still on CL and Kijiji. She has been on there since Jan 11. How sad... What's up with some of these rescues? I think that what they do is admirable, but sometime they go a lil overboard.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I think I will learn more about this rescue and, possibly, put in an application. My husband is a bit reserved because right now our house doesn't have any birds with bad habits (screaming) and likes things the way they are. I think I would like to take in one more bird and my extended family will be complete.

I'd just like to tell you that I knew Ripley, my GW, before I brought him home. Not from a rescue, but a HUGE store. He was as quiet as a church mouse there, I NEVER heard a sound from him.

WELLLLLL.....now, 6 months into our (great) relationship and being home with me, my husband runs for cover when Ripley is having his 5 minutes and starts hollering from the top of his lungs. He's also managed to teach Niko to holler, so 2 hollering big macs can be quite the experience. :32:

OP
M

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
Just the process of acquiring this bird what seemed to me was endless.I understand screening and making sure it's a good fit, but these people wanted me to attend all these classes (that I had to pay for) do a home check, and then if I passed their tests, then maybe I could have her. I felt like it was an interrogation, not an adoption, something your supposed to feel good about. Well it's been over 3 months since I have inquired about her, and she is still on CL and Kijiji. She has been on there since Jan 11. How sad... What's up with some of these rescues? I think that what they do is admirable, but sometime they go a lil overboard.

I agree with you 100% here. I fostered 3 German Shepherd sibling pups and wanted to keep one. One of them had contracted parvo and I was the one who dealt with it BEFORE it was transported to a rescue up north. I was told to put in an application and a home inspection would be done. That was stupid since I was the one who rescued them and did everything for the dog who had parvo. I shelled out over $100 for the 3 of them for food and supplies and never was reimbursed. My application was ignored and never heard from them again so I am a bit wary of rescues as well. I felt used.

I realize that rescues are just trying to do right so the animals are well taken care of and rehoming won't be in their future. On the other hand, getting a bird from a rescue, you can be assured that the bird will generally be in good health and vetted. You will also get some idea of their personality, quirks and history.

I agree with the feeling of being interrogated. What is important to one person may not be important to another. For example other pets in the home. If the prospective adopter seems to be responsible, then having other pets like cats should not be held against them. My cat and dog walk and sleep within feet of each other and are very compatible. That was not the case when the puppy came home 6 years ago. lol. Time changes everything and all involved adjusts and works out fine in the end.

OP
M

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I have submitted an application for a little plucked guy I made out with while there. He wanted to kiss me the whole time.

The way you two were going, I think your husband has something to worry about. :D

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
LOL Merlee, Hubby would certainly have been jealous ! I will keep everyone posted of how the application process goes. I have submitted an application before I met the little guy. I was told that the board members have my application for consideration now. Next will be a home visit then the whole family will go meet him for a visit. After that he should come home with me if it all works out. As I stated there are others in line ahead of me though.

Most Reactions

Latest posts