Licking????

CharlieFarley

Jul 27, 2013
Newcastle
Parrots
Charlie - Indian Ringneck
Charlie is still a little baby at only 4 months old from the 6th of this month. He's basically my child and I love him loads. I have taught him, Step up, Kisses, Turn around, Off, Out and I am working on In. Tonight I was sitting with charlie, he was on my shoulder and we were watching the tv, he started to eat my hair and lick my ear. I don't know if this is just because he is young or if he is giving me kisses or grooming me! I was wondering if anyone knew what he was doing as he does it to my fingers, nose, eyelashes and my lips.

Charlie - Indian Ringneck - Born: 6th of April 2013.:grey:

Attachments

• Durham-20130731-01007.jpg
    Durham-20130731-01007.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 672

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I'd love to know the answer to this as my Alexes do it too. Maybe the ringnecks are just very oral birds?

On a different note, your Charlie is gorgeous! And, do my eyes deceive me, or are those mouse cages Charlie is sitting on??? I'm a mouse-lover from 'way back. :)

OP
C

CharlieFarley

Jul 27, 2013
Newcastle
Parrots
I'd love to know the answer to this as my Alexes do it too. Maybe the ringnecks are just very oral birds?

On a different note, your Charlie is gorgeous! And, do my eyes deceive me, or are those mouse cages Charlie is sitting on??? I'm a mouse-lover from 'way back. :)

Thank you, I love him to bits and as a matter of fact I've just give him a bath
:).

Those are hamster cages I have 3, peggy nugget and rolo. He finds it funny to harrass them and stand ontop of there cages when I move them into the living room to hoover. That's how he got his nickname of my little monkey.
Another question is; why does he try to bite the hamsters and make a noise at them that sounds a bit like a duck? I don't trust him in a room by himself with the hamsters someone has to be there with him. Well really someone is in the room with him at all times unless he is in his cage.:grey:

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
He's grooming you, it's all part of the bonding process. Make sure you give scratch and rub his head, cheeks and neck after he does it to complete to process. That's what flock members do, take turns grooming each other.. :)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
A wonder bonding is taking place
He is showing you love and affection by grooming you

Mishka my African Grey sits for about 15 minutes a day grooming me
He began grooming me from 3 months old and still continues today, he is almost 6 years old.
He is rewarded with many kisses and head scratches

ZoeyFredrik

Aug 1, 2013
Parrots
Sammy- Quaker Parrot;
Josephine- IRN;
Fredrik, Phoebe, Skyler, & Alexander -Budgies- *Zoey* (Budgie) R.I.P <3
Our babies are the same age, and even look alike! My Joey is a grey ringneck too!

Joey does this to me when we relax at night together. She loves hair. Sometimes she will grab a little bundle in her foot and preen it. She is so sweet!

-ZoeyFredrik

OP
C

CharlieFarley

Jul 27, 2013
Newcastle
Parrots
Our babies are the same age, and even look alike! My Joey is a grey ringneck too!

Joey does this to me when we relax at night together. She loves hair. Sometimes she will grab a little bundle in her foot and preen it. She is so sweet!

-ZoeyFredrik

Aww, where did you get joey from? I was wondering if he will ever talk and be really good at it or if he's just going to be a little squawker like he is now, as he hasn't spoke a word at all and he doesn't even try. We are going to continue on working to try and get him to talk but I read somewhere that its possible he won't talk until his voice has broke? Is that true?x:confused:

Attachments

• Durham-20130625-00946.jpg
    Durham-20130625-00946.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 393

Most Reactions