Lifestyle right for a green check conure?

Nick234

Feb 16, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P feathers(budgie) and zues(budgie)
Hi I'm 14 years old and I want to know if my life style is right for a green check conure. I am planning to get one when the new school year starts. I already have a large cage and toys for it. My questions are; will it be ok to be alone well I'm at school? Will it be ok to travel in the car with me on the occasional weekend to my step dads? Will it be ok to spend the occasional weekend with my grandparents? Ill ask any more questions I think of thanks for the help :)

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
the biggest question is what the adults in your life think. Do they plan to support you no matter what? What about vet bills? Who pays for food? What if the bird starts to scream? What if your grades drop?

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Hi Nick,

Sorry to see you lost your budgie, it's always hard when a companion bird passes.

I think you and a green cheek would make good buddies, but SS above asked some good questions you need to have positive answers to. Trading up to a conure is going to mean an increase on your time, that you may not have realized with a budgie, they can often entertain themselves, where most conures will require a little more from you. I say that because you're getting ready to move up in the social world and a lot more things are going to impose on your time, so since you want to invite a new bird into your life, your new bird needs to come first.

In answer to your questions, yes, I don't see any problem with anything you've asked.....enjoy your new green cheek.....

ACE209

Jul 28, 2014
Ceres, CA
Parrots
Sherlock - Blue crowned conure 10yr,
Sunny - yellow sided GCC 3yr,
Echo - yellow sided GCC 2yr,
Kiwi - Blue fronted amazon 15yr
RIP Nate - the best cockatiel
If you have your parents support then go for it. I had my first conure at 15 she was my best friend. I like that you're doing some research your already headed in the right direction. My peach fronted conure was used to my schedule going to school in the 7 in morning at coming home around 3 in the afternoon. As long as you have someone at home in case something goes wrong then you should be ok. People like me that own conures and go to work and my parrots seem well adjusted. I work 10 hr shifts and they cope just fine with it. In the morning we have bonding time they ride my shoulder when I clean their cages and give them breakfast. I also have lots of toys and foraging toys to keep them busy. My sisters sometimes come over while I'm at work and hang out with them. Back to when I was younger it was important to have the support of my parents. Especially the time she got sick my mom helped me with giving her medicine while I was at school. My parents were also financially supportive, these guys can get pricey if they need medical atention. There's also times we would go on family vacation when Ella couldn't come we had to either find a suitable boarding facility or a close friend to watch her and keep her company. Also she traveled with me a lot and she did fine. When I would visit family and friends Ella would come with me. Conures are very social especially if get a hand raised baby who sees you as your their mate. A mate that will live 20-30 years. So keep that in mind. If you care for your parrot the right way they will be with you into your 30's or 40's.Just some things to consider make sure to post pics if you do decide to get a bird. And never feel stupid for asking questions. No one is born with knowledge. Good luck

Last edited:

Most Reactions