Lighting [who knew]

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
In New york it gets very dark here . My birds seem down and sort of lethargic. Which makes me nuts because Im so worried about them being sick. We decided to put in a new lighting system . WOW what a difference :) Birds are happy ,playing ,talking . Porcsha is my Ruby macaw . Ive had her almost a year . She was a plucker [her front totally bare]. Since we put the lighting up shes let her feathers grow [im amazed :)]. So maybe this lighting thing will help some plucking birds . That would be so great !! Here she is at my work.She seems happier I thought I would take her out around other people. Shes my best talker ,but the only thing i could get her to say was Peek a boo. That night i was telling my daughter how I could not get her to talk . In the other room she must have heard me . She then started yeling everything she knew. I stuck my head in there and said "Really" now your going to talk :) She Yelled NOOOOOOOO!!!! then laughed [funny moment for us :p] http://www.parrotforums.com/members/pinkbirdy-albums-belly-picture15689-20151019-112428.jpg

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
What type of lighting did you install? I just ordered a 27w full spectrum CFL bulb.

Bill

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
That's really great to hear! I recently (two months ago) put full-spectrum lighting over my lovebird's cage, even though his cage has been by a window for the last five years. I can't believe the change in him, behavior, activity, and feather vibrance. My other birds have lighting, as well, but I thought the LB had enough light through that window. Sure makes a HUGE difference. Glad your guys are responding so well to it. So much we don't fully understand about our pets' needs. Glad we can do this for them.

Most Reactions

Latest posts