Lina's Journal-Road to Rehabilitation

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hi, just a couple of things have popped into my head reading your text. Why not set the perches low to start with in the new cage? Make if difficult to fall far. Increase as he gets better?

Will Lina let you stroke his foot, Plum quite likes this at times? Maybe its soothing?

OP
gentleheart

gentleheart

Feb 25, 2016
Parrots
Baby the Peachfaced Lovebird
Sometimes he lets me outside the cage, but he seems to prefer head scritches over anything else.

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new cage. Shipping tracker estimates delivery on Thursday. In the meantime, Lina has been improving in leaps and bounds since I started covering half his cage during the day. He has really start to come back to his old self. Sunday night, he was dancing with us and ringing his bells to music. Yesterday, a couple of the things we ordered in addition to the cage came in. So I hung his new toy outside his cage, and put the new java perch in the top most part of the cage (also the darkest actually). He was happily playing with his little cluster of toys last night, and has been hanging out on the java perch most of the time as well. This morning, he fluffed his feathers for scritches with no signs of neurosis. He did almost have a little freak out when I set my hand in the 'step up' position, but calmed down pretty quickly.

So, needless to say, things are going very well. Hopefully soon we can take him to get his nails done, as they are overdue.

I can't wait to set up his cage. We did go with this one by the way. It's perfect; 30 inches square and 40 inches tall. Exactly what I was looking for.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/you-and-me-standing-parrot-cage

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
sure you will but just take everything real slow. Take nothing for granted with him. Use a phrase when he is fearful of stepping up, "come on silly boy" etc etc it will become normal and soothing, expected, the norm.

A reversion now would be dreadful.

Last edited:
OP
gentleheart

gentleheart

Feb 25, 2016
Parrots
Got the cage in, it really is lovely. Put it all together yesterday. I was moving things and toys from the old cage to the new one. Lina was still in his old cage. I was moving slowly so as not to scare him, but after several minutes he had a little freak out and flew out of the cage around the room. It was probably better that it happened that way anyway, as I was able to pick him up and give him his head scritches, and then put him in the new cage.

He LOVES his new cage. He is so much more comfortable, it is very obvious. He is acting like a silly galah again, hanging upside down, playing with his toys, and really just seems to enjoy life again. One of his new toys came yesterday, and it lasted all of about two hours, as he joyfully chewed every piece of wood off it. I wrapped 3/4 of the cage in a blanket, so that way it is pretty dim inside the cage. He really likes it that way. When he gets nervous or afraid, he hangs out on a perch in the back in one of the darkest parts of the cage. Most of the time though, he is hanging out on a perch in the middle-frontish part.

The blanket thing makes me nervous, because his toenails could get caught (even though it's on the outside of the cage). So this weekend we will be going and getting some plastic shower curtains to use instead.

Oh, I also bubble wrapped over the grate like I said I would, and then laid paper on top of that. If he has a freak out and falls now, it will be nice and soft, so he won't be risking a broken wing or something like that.

I left his cage door open this morning while I was doing things downstairs. He stayed in the back at first, then slowly made his way towards the front, and eventually was hanging out in the front of the cage like nothing was wrong. Since he used to cower in the back of his old cage anytime the door was wide open, this is a huge improvement. I had my doubts yesterday when I was setting up the cage, but now I see that this was the right decision. Pictures to come soon!

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Try a poly/cotton large sheet instead of a blanket. Works fine with Plum and stands being chewed, just goes into holes, no loose fibres. Plastic curtain will get chewed, Plum's latest fascination this week - bin liners LOL.

Good news! Ooh yes pics, loads of them!

Last edited:
OP
gentleheart

gentleheart

Feb 25, 2016
Parrots
Sorry I don't post pics very often. I don't have a camera, just an old phone that takes less than stellar pics.

Pics of the new cage and old macaw cage. :D

Attachments

• Lina New Cage 1.jpg
    Lina New Cage 1.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Lina New Cage 2.jpg
    Lina New Cage 2.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Lina New Cage 3.jpg
    Lina New Cage 3.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Lina.jpg
    Lina.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Macaw Cage.jpg
    Macaw Cage.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 68
OP
gentleheart

gentleheart

Feb 25, 2016
Parrots
I recently read of the problem with birds ingesting cotton and other fibers, which I had never heard of before. Apparently, they can go on for years getting little bits into their digestive tract and act totally normal, until one day it gets completely blocked and they drop dead.

So last night, I went and removed all the rope out of both cages. I had to basically tear apart my lovebirds swing, boy was he mad and I felt very bad! He has a hut made out of seagrass though, so he still has something he loves to sleep and snuggle in instead of the swing.

I am not as concerned about things like sisal, far more concerned about cotton and the like. Lina has a sisal boing coming, but I am not going to put it in the cage, but rather as something to climb up and down from the playtop when he is out.

I don't mind if he chews the plastic shower curtain, they are cheap. Better than a digestive tract blockage!

OP
gentleheart

gentleheart

Feb 25, 2016
Parrots
Lina is doing well in the new cage, really well actually. He is using every bit of that new cage and playing with every toy in it, whereas in the old one he only used a couple spots, and same with toys. He's still a little bugger about stepping up, but otherwise he is a zillion times better. I don't push the stepping up problem, I figure he will get over it when he does and that's that.

I know that I said I would start sprouting seeds a couple weeks ago, but I never did. The hassle of it all was rather intimidating and annoying. Having to rinse the sprouts 2-3 times a day was just a bit much really, especially when the current diet seems to cover everything and the sprouts aren't needed.

Anyway, I looked into it again today. I have chia, millet (human grade), and flax on hand. Chia and millet are complicated. Flax? Soak for four hours and you can use immediately. Stir once a day, use up by 5 days. Plenty simple for me. I set the jar up tonight, and they will get the sprouts as a bedtime snack after I take their bowls out and clean out the leftover veggies.

https://sproutpeople.org/growing-flax-sprouts/

If you know of any other seeds/sprouts that are low maint like these, let me know.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Hi good news! Lina will come on leaps and bounds if he is playing, great!

Don't worry about the step up, Plum won't some times, I believe in free will unless it is imperative. Remember RB2's have a mind of their own and like to choose, part of their adorable character.

Most of the difference in the sprouts is the initial soaking time, mostly 24 hours. Great you are having a go! The smaller seeds (alfafa, radish) are usually the ones that require less soak time and sprout quicker. I don't always succeed and decide at the last minute to dump the lot! As long as you have the principals under your belt to avoid producing anything harmful.

Last edited:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Hi just checking in for an update on Lina. Presume no news is good news and your boy is still playing and improving, seeming happier?

How is the sprouting going? Have you had good results?

OP
gentleheart

gentleheart

Feb 25, 2016
Parrots
I tried sprouting the one time, like I said. Both birds really liked it but by the second day it was kinda weird and bubbly, and I felt safer throwing it out than feeding it. Have not had time to make more yet with the weekend job. I'm thinking it will be a once or twice a week treat. Oh, I also learned to make way less than I did the first time lol.

I took Lina out today. My goal is to make sure he gets at least one hour out of cage time each day. I am not meeting that goal every day yet, but I'm going to try my best to. I probably won't be able to give him out of cage time on weekends, since I leave the house at 6:15am. Kinda have to take him out in the mornings, because the dogs can only be outside until noon due to our very hot weather.

I did get him out today. We really have to get him in for a grooming, as his nails are very sharp. They aren't dangerously overgrown, but boy are they sharp!

He is still a neurotic bugger about coming out of the cage. He freaks out and flies around. He flew into enough walls today (yes WALLS, not mirrors or windows) that I am considering maybe he would be better off clipped for a while, and try again when his flight feathers grow back in. I am a believer in birds being flighted and it actually being safer for them when they are, but as we've seen and as I've told my husband... Lina is a "special" case.

The playtop where I was hoping he would make a habit of hanging out is a fearful thing. I did get him up there one time by doing this: when I went to feed him in the morning, instead of putting his food in the cage, I made him come out. I grabbed his bowl and showed him his food in it, and then I placed the bowl in the playtop holder. Well, he refused to step on that perch at first, but stepped right onto that bowl because he was so hungry. Then after a couple minutes, he moved to the perch with no problem. Today he hated the perch again, so I will have to repeat the method I used before.

Though he was an absolute STINKER for about a half hour today, by the end we were hanging out watching TV today, and he even rewarded my hard work and efforts by saying "hello" when I was talking to him. He steps up readily for and talks to both my husband and brother when out of the cage, not in it. However, neither of those guys is going to devote an hour each day to socializing Lina, so I guess Lina is just stuck with (in his eyes) a yucky cooties girl! He reminds me of a little boy being grossed out/afraid of girls.

I just have to keep reminding myself of where he used to be, and how good he is now. Even if progress is slow, he is still improving. The new cage setup wasn't the magic fix I was halfheartedly hoping it would be when it comes to stepping up. BUT he is so much happier in it, and playing with all his toys and such.

I am not sure that I can call him my mother's bird anymore, even though she technically owns him. She just doesn't want to be a part of his rehabilitation. The maximum amount of time she spends with him is 5 minutes, saying hello and good night. She might feed him a berry or two every once in a while.

I don't know what this will mean down the road as my husband and I are looking at moving out of state next year. All I can hope is perhaps I can convince her to allow us to take him, rather than he spend his life in a cage. I suppose I have been in denial for the past few years of this, but I have come to terms with the fact that she doesn't have the desire or dedication that this bird requires. Things really went downhill for him the times that I left state. The bird adores my husband, and I'm the one that handles all the care, cleaning, and rehabilitating. Perhaps she will let us take him.

When we have concrete plans and the time comes, I will have a long talk with her. I will discuss all of these problems, and then I will make two suggestions: 1st-that she give him to us (I think there is probably a good chance of this). 2nd-that she take him back to the bird store where he will have a better chance of finding a good life rather than living in a cage.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Wow Gentleheart that is a lot of info! Good to hear from you though!

Sprouting - weird and bubbly? Not sure what that is LOL. Do you leave to soak for the required time, I change this water regularly. Then rinse and drain and leave to sprout, remembering to rinse and drain again several times throughout the day. Takes few days to achieve the req sprouts.

Re his nails, ensure that you go to a Avian Vet and that they use a Dremel and file the nails not cut. If Lina's are cut and too short ie bleed, it really will set him back. If you need anything else done ie bloods, if he is due a check over then do it at the same time. If Lina will let you file them then great, good luck though LOL

Flying into walls ?? Before you clip are you able to walk him round the room on your arm so he can take it all in? Maybe hubby could do this with him? Hoping if he is better acquainted with the room he will not crash. Take him round like he is buying your home LOL.

Sorry sweetheart 'a yucky cooties girl!' is lost on me?

Your mum's reaction could be for mixed reasons, she may feel a a little guilty, not have the energy to do this etc? She still has affection for him though that is clear.

I hope that you are able to keep Lina with you as am fearful of the effect on re-homing. Would it set him back further or bring him forward, who knows?

Stay positive you are doing great, you deserve a big hug for all your time and effort with Lina and it is good to hear from you!

Last edited:
OP
gentleheart

gentleheart

Feb 25, 2016
Parrots
He is very familiar with the room. He even figured out how to fly upstairs and all that. But sometimes his freak out is bad enough that he doesn't think and flies right into a wall. A little thing like me setting him down on a chair, walking out of the room, and coming back a minute later can set him off.

I am not sure it would be possible for us to take him, as much as I would like to. I would really like to see my mom step up to the plate with him. In the case that she does, I think it would be better if he was clipped. I don't foresee her being able to handle him flighted. In addition, he is at rather high risk injuring himself by flying into things the way he does at times. I had hoped that the more flight time he got the better he would be, but this has not been the case. He still flies into something at least once every time he is out. I don't know if I mentioned this before, but this has been an ongoing and constant thing.

"Cooties" is an American kids thing. Boys and girls say the opposite sex is yucky and has cooties lol. I have no idea what cooties are or where the term comes from.

At this point, I don't know what next year is going to look like. This past year has been a little rough. We've had people offer us business opportunities and then fall through on their end, due to them being able to think they could take on the new venture and then realizing they couldn't. We have just been in a scramble starting our own business and figuring out how to pay bills in the meantime.

Most Reactions