Lineoletd Parakeet

nailsrglue

Dec 3, 2007
Media
I have had my linnie Pickles for about ix years now, got him when he was just weaned. After he moved in he had a few ppl poke at his cage (when i wasnt in the room) and got very frightened of fingers. He has always been a friendly bird, loving to talk to ppl and see thier faces, but always runs away when a hand moved near him.

After six years he hasnt changed much. He mostly just stays in his cage (filled with toys and pretty large) and seems happy. I've been trying to let him out often lately to let the dog and cat get used to birds being out of the cage (I'm getting a conure in February). He isnt scared of either and will chase them away from his cage.

He loves to climb up on me when hes out, sitting on my shoulder or legs, but he freaks out every time my hand moves. I've never been able to get him over his fears. i wish he'd be finger tame, would make picking him up off the floor much easier.

Anyways I love my Pickles and I highly suggest linnies to anyone with an apartment.

Lauren

Dec 13, 2007
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Parrots
Seth - 16 y/o Blue Crown Conure

Lily - 3 y/o White Capped Pionus
Awe Pickles sounds like a sweetheart!!!

What you could start doing is offering his favourite treats with your fingers. Just hold the treat gently and only give him his treats like that.

Another idea, and this is the method I use with my lovies, is don't offer them a finger (who knows it could look like a ginormous worm that could be yummy or scary) I cup my hands to scoop them off a perch (Kirby is a pro at this now and just hops on outside his cage). If I need them to step up I just offer the flat of my hand and scoop with the other hand and they usually jump onto the flat hand.

When Pickles is on your shoulder the best way to get him off since hands aren't in his good books, would be to just walk up to his cage, gym or perch and crouch down so he can get off himself.
This, once again, I used with my lovies when I first got them too. They learned to understand that I'm not pure evil!

Good luck and keep us posted! :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts