Little Bird needs a new cage

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
With luck Little Bird will love new cage at first sight. Don't think I've had any of mine express more than a few minutes apprehension.

Your plan is perfect, her curiosity will probably kick in almost immediately. If not, give her a bit of time....

Quirky indeed, some like to place bits of food under the wing and let drop. They've also adopted an odd flourish from Peanut. After flying, she partially extends wings for a moment, then refolds. Now they all do lol, no idea if that is an artifact from the wild? (relatively new behavior for her despite being captured in the early 1980s)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
New Cage Trick: Let them be part of the assembly of the New Cage!

FYI: Bolts and Nuts as Toys!!! Buy Only: Marine Quality, Stainless Steel Nuts and Bolts! Always inspect the threads prior to providing to your Parrots!!! It is not uncommon for maximum engagement threads to have very sharpe edges. NOTE: Most all Marine Quality, Stainless Steel bits are deburred after cutting and rarely have any sharpe edges...

OP
mica21493

mica21493

Dec 12, 2019
Eastern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Bebee - Blue and Gold Macaw,
Little Bird - Goffins Cockatoo,
Mica and Daffy, greatly missed
Oh that's too funny about the food and wing flip, a flock must be so fun. Little Bird likes to pull hair, I've taken to shaving the tiny hairs off of my arm because I find it so painful when she pulls them, lol. She yanks my flyaways and even long strands of hair if she can get them. And she does weird wing flips too. One when she is upset and bitey, that's just a tiny wing flip. She does these big wing flips and holds her wings up and moves side to side without moving her feet as far as she can go, really fast, and sometimes screams. That's usually when she is on top of her cage and excited.
I do hope she likes her new cage right away, especially once I put favorite toys and perches in it. I'll give it a shot to see if she is interested when we put it together. And thanks for the info about the nuts and bolts. I didn't even know they made those!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Speaking of antics, does Little Bird like to twirl in place? Hilarious to see them spin around seemingly just for fun. How about shadows? Mine love to hang out near a wall during early evening and watch their shadows. Not sure what they are thinking?

Squeaky examining shadow
A5J308q.jpg

Peanut, Abby, and Squeaky peering at shadows
Bv4ia77.jpg

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Rosetta loves to twirl around (and around and around)! Most of all, she likes to hang upside-down from her rope and flap until the rope twists into a knot. Then, she stops flapping and enjoys the Great Unwinding. She's gotten *really* good at working up a good swing on her rope and knows to the millifirkin how far she needs to reach to catch the cage bars. Watching her is far more fun than watching TV! :)

OP
mica21493

mica21493

Dec 12, 2019
Eastern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Oh my gosh no! She doesn't spin or check out shadows. Absolutely love the pics of your Goffins! Betrisher, that sounds way more fun than TV!
Little Bird was not happy with me putting the cage together (lots of screaming), but she is finally settled into her new cage. Putting all of her "furniture" in the cage seems to have finally done the trick to convince her it wasn't a cage monster about to devour her :D
She also found her wings and did a lap of the living room for the first time today. Not sure how long it will last because she is just snip, snip, snipping away since she molted (and she was so fluffy!!). But I am going to try to do some recall to see if I can get her to fly to me. She landed on my head today, lol.
It's sideways, but here is a pic of Little Bird in her new cage.

25379d1607491217-little-bird-needs-new-cage-zz6a.jpg

Attachments

• zz6a.jpg
    zz6a.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited by a moderator:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Very nice cage, I have similar. Hint: A good chance Little Bird learns how to rotate the food/water door locks and open. (ask me how I know!:D)

OP
mica21493

mica21493

Dec 12, 2019
Eastern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Oh no, lol, please tell me they can only open them from the outside?? And thanks for correcting my pic.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Oh no, lol, please tell me they can only open them from the outside?? And thanks for correcting my pic.

Lol, I should have been more specific! She should be perfectly safe and secure inside cage. Some of mine have learned to rotate the round knobs and push door open from outside. They only do that to water dish, perhaps because they are too lazy to go inside cage? (they are never locked inside but sometimes hang out on perches)

OP
mica21493

mica21493

Dec 12, 2019
Eastern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Oh too funny!! I can just imagine them doing that. Good to know though because after she's out I'm definitely going to make sure the doors are locked!

Most Reactions