Live Culture Plain Non-Fat Greek Yogurt

wrvgirl

Feb 17, 2013
North Carolina
Parrots
A flock of fluffy chickens & one sweet little ringneck named Apollo.
I found a recipe for yogurt drops and thought they'd be yummy for the bird as well. I feed my chickens yogurt all the time [it's good for their digestive tract when it's the live culture stuff.

Some people say it's bad for birds, but I was reading that as long as the yogurt has the active cultures, the cultures use lactose enzymes to break down what little lactose is actually in the yogurt, making it safe for birdie consumption [in small doses of course!]

I also read that you shouldn't feed more than 1tbsp of yogurt per bird, per day.

Anyone have any input on this?

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
I was just at the vets yesterday and asked about yogurt. Fine to give them in small amounts,good source of calcium. But he said the active cultures really don't make much difference for their health unless they are on antibiotics.

OP
wrvgirl

wrvgirl

Feb 17, 2013
North Carolina
Parrots
I was just at the vets yesterday and asked about yogurt. Fine to give them in small amounts,good source of calcium. But he said the active cultures really don't make much difference for their health unless they are on antibiotics.

Awesome! That's what I thought. Thank you!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Parrots are naturally omnivorous, and diary products in general are a good source of healthy fats, protein, and vitamins. As with many "human" foods, parrots do benefit from (appropriate) amounts of dairy in their diet. Problems only arise when the bird gets too much of any one food in their diet. What people tend to forget is how small parrots are comparatively, and it's very easy to overfeed one type of food. A dab of yogurt or bite of cheese is good for them, but they shouldn't just be allowed to eat as much as they please. Size wise, them getting a heaping spoonful of yogurt would be like you eating a whole large container full, and will have the same effect on their digestive tracts as it would for you. Just keep in mind that while providing them with a healthy varied diet to keep any table foods in a parrot size-appropriate portion.

OP
wrvgirl

wrvgirl

Feb 17, 2013
North Carolina
Parrots
I made frozen yogurt drops, they're less than a teaspoon a piece, and I have no plans to feed gratuitous amounts of anything to the bird, but it's good to know that it's ok for an occasional treat ;)

Thanks everyone!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I mostly use yogurt as a means of getting medications into my birds!

But yes, fine in small amounts.

OP
wrvgirl

wrvgirl

Feb 17, 2013
North Carolina
Parrots
I don't even know if he'll be interested in the yogurt when it comes time! Right now, his top picks are strawberries and kiwis...not very excited about the bananas. lol

Birdboy

Feb 12, 2013
Media
Australia
Parrots
Keiko Yellow-crowned Amazon
keiko doesnt like banana ether. shes weird cause she likes dried banana chips?????? and she growls at her kiwi, but is in love with it the next day. Keiko has lots of mood swings ;)

OP
wrvgirl

wrvgirl

Feb 17, 2013
North Carolina
Parrots
Ha ha ha. That's awesome. Maybe she's got a little multiple personality bird disorder? We had a bird that was OCD about food colors. He'd eat the green pieces first, red pieces second and the tan ones last. I always wondered if they tasted different or if he just did it for fun!

Most Reactions