Local Concerts Keeping my Birds up? How do I Muffle it?

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
So, I live near a golf course and some years they have what I call ā€œconcert seasonsā€ where there is At minimum 1 concert a week that goes on for hours. The last one was 2020? I think? Every year they have concerts for summer events like 4th of July, cinco de mayo, mothers/Fatherā€™s Day, etc. if the weather is good enough though. This year, the concert season has begun and it is louder than ever. Itā€™s like having some annoying ogre who blasts their music in their car so loud you can hear it several houses away, but now in your driveway. Itā€™s EXACTLY like that, and it has been disturbing my birdsā€™ sleep and driving me nuts! It keeps Rico up until midnight and cricket will occasionally shriek randomly throughout the night when the bass buzzes particularly loudly. Then Rico gets nesty and bitey, and cricket gets cranky, nippy, and shrieky. Is there any way I could have less of it be heard? I can hear it perfectly with closed windows and curtains WITH quilts up, with my TV and fan on. I have never minded the concerts until this season began because it is louder and has way more bass than usual, and they go on later 3PM-12AM.

Bird pics for bird tax. Thank you in advance.

F751A32F-6854-4B89-978F-BB86588E7CEF.jpeg
FD2E5AC4-379B-43CA-8E06-5E6D456AFFEA.jpeg
2A21A935-08AF-46BD-8EE4-2DD9C5075B0D.jpeg
82E8AB92-D9E3-4E20-BD67-EF1E553D6E9F.jpeg
0F4E4162-EC21-4F12-84CF-73C391D7C7D5.jpeg
339EABAE-82CE-45F4-8391-577697B27327.jpeg
6411CF5E-CCB1-46E8-9A82-655D906309C5.jpeg
40F6D29D-25D6-44E8-BB51-EC4DB85052AD.jpeg
B57A2C2D-5AA4-4FEC-895B-F24536877C97.jpeg
F4453E2C-332A-4744-8FEA-C6B090C980E2.jpeg

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
I'm not sure there's anything you can really do other than what you've already done. It's worth mentioning that in the wild birds wouldn't get 12 hours of pitch dark, silent sleep time anyway so I don't think it would do them much harm once a week for a few months to not have the best nights sleep. I regularly disturb my birds sleep due to my shift patterns and they just adapt to it. Maybe just let them have a lie in in the morning if they're that bothered by it?

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I'm not sure there's anything you can really do other than what you've already done. It's worth mentioning that in the wild birds wouldn't get 12 hours of pitch dark, silent sleep time anyway so I don't think it would do them much harm once a week for a few months to not have the best nights sleep. I regularly disturb my birds sleep due to my shift patterns and they just adapt to it. Maybe just let them have a lie in in the morning if they're that bothered by it?
I do suppose I could tack on some extra hours of sleep for them. Itā€™d be more convenient my my lazy self anyway, especially with how Iā€™m already nuking my own sleep schedule (ARK, L4D, and energy drinks that I stash away for the upcoming nightfall). Then I wouldnā€™t have to get up to wake them up, change their food and water, then try to fall back asleep. I could just let them sleep for a bit longer. Good idea! Thanks for the advice!

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
I do suppose I could tack on some extra hours of sleep for them. Itā€™d be more convenient my my lazy self anyway, especially with how Iā€™m already nuking my own sleep schedule (ARK, L4D, and energy drinks that I stash away for the upcoming nightfall). Then I wouldnā€™t have to get up to wake them up, change their food and water, then try to fall back asleep. I could just let them sleep for a bit longer. Good idea! Thanks for the advice!
I used to just get up when my birds got up and feed them, let them out etc. But then I wasn't getting much sleep due to my shifts and I realised that when I got a bit of a lie in I was less moody and the birds were happier even though they were out less. They really pick up on your moods and I'm sure you'll all be happier with a lie in :)

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I used to just get up when my birds got up and feed them, let them out etc. But then I wasn't getting much sleep due to my shifts and I realised that when I got a bit of a lie in I was less moody and the birds were happier even though they were out less. They really pick up on your moods and I'm sure you'll all be happier with a lie in :)
thankfully I donā€™t work. But I am very prone to getting very upset when Iā€™m tired. Whether itā€™s rage or just crying over small things. Sure, Rico and crick wonā€™t get as much out time, but they will get more sleep. and Iā€™ll be less moody. You are absolutely brilliant, thank you so much!

Most Reactions