Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
I was wondering if there was such a thing as being able to give up your parrots temporarily and then being able to have them back after a couple of years. I'm in an abusive situation and I've been trying to get out with my birds but it's seemingly impossible to do so. I can't afford anywhere that would allow me to take them with me but I would be able to in a couple of years. I don't think I can stay in my current environment for a couple more years though as it's impacting me a lot. The birds are fine and cared for very well, but I'm worried that I'll start to resent them in a couple of months when they're the only thing preventing me from leaving. I have about 3-4 months until I can leave whilst I get everything in order, but I know they'll be the last thing I need to sort. I would hate to have to give them up forever as in a couple of years I'll be in a position to have them again and as most of them are rescues it's heartbreaking to have to give them up. I've messaged a few bird rescues asking about the possibility of this but I was wondering if there were any other places that offered such a thing. I'm happy to pay towards their care during the time that I won't have them, or even to find somewhere to board them long term.

I have four budgies, two cockatiels and two conures. They all get on very well, and are able to be out together. There's no health or behavioural problems in any of them and they're tame. They have an aviary that they go out in for a few hours most days so they're used to being outside and some of them know a few tricks (mainly the conures and a couple of the budgies). They eat pellets and chop and are all fairly young with the oldest being four years old. I will rehome them permanently if I have to, but I am trying to do everything I can to be able to keep them as I can provide a very good life for them, just not for the next couple of years whilst I get out of this situation.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I was wondering if there was such a thing as being able to give up your parrots temporarily and then being able to have them back after a couple of years. I'm in an abusive situation and I've been trying to get out with my birds but it's seemingly impossible to do so. I can't afford anywhere that would allow me to take them with me but I would be able to in a couple of years. I don't think I can stay in my current environment for a couple more years though as it's impacting me a lot. The birds are fine and cared for very well, but I'm worried that I'll start to resent them in a couple of months when they're the only thing preventing me from leaving. I have about 3-4 months until I can leave whilst I get everything in order, but I know they'll be the last thing I need to sort. I would hate to have to give them up forever as in a couple of years I'll be in a position to have them again and as most of them are rescues it's heartbreaking to have to give them up. I've messaged a few bird rescues asking about the possibility of this but I was wondering if there were any other places that offered such a thing. I'm happy to pay towards their care during the time that I won't have them, or even to find somewhere to board them long term.

I have four budgies, two cockatiels and two conures. They all get on very well, and are able to be out together. There's no health or behavioural problems in any of them and they're tame. They have an aviary that they go out in for a few hours most days so they're used to being outside and some of them know a few tricks (mainly the conures and a couple of the budgies). They eat pellets and chop and are all fairly young with the oldest being four years old. I will rehome them permanently if I have to, but I am trying to do everything I can to be able to keep them as I can provide a very good life for them, just not for the next couple of years whilst I get out of this situation.
Iโ€™m not sure if rescues will take in birds temporarily.
I guess boarding birds for years would be unrealistic too.

Iโ€™m sorry you are going through this but sometimes rehoming your bird is the best thing for you and your birds.
Do you have a family member that could temporarily care for them?

OP
Greenhouseparrots

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Cockatiel- Volkan
Blue budgie- Lightning
Unfortunately none of my family can take them. I'm thinking that rehoming them might be the only option I have at this point

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Perhaps you could approach avian vets in your vicinity? They may know of a boarding service, my bird vet for example actually offers such a service in-house. Or perhaps even one of their clients of good standing may be able to help. I'm so sorry you are going through this extremely stressful situation, and i do hope a workable solution can be found for both you and your birds. ๐Ÿ™

OP
Greenhouseparrots

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Cockatiel- Volkan
Blue budgie- Lightning
Perhaps you could approach avian vets in your vicinity? They may know of a boarding service, my bird vet for example actually offers such a service in-house. Or perhaps even one of their clients of good standing may be able to help. I'm so sorry you are going through this extremely stressful situation, and i do hope a workable solution can be found for both you and your birds. ๐Ÿ™
I'll try that, thank you. Their vet has been amazing for them in the past despite not being an avian vet, so she may be able to help in some way.
I have a few months to figure it out in any case, so I can make the best decision for them and for me, thank you for your help

Most Reactions

Latest posts