Looking for a good source of wire mesh

forbey

Apr 26, 2013
Media
I hope to make an outside enclosure capable of being taken dow and brought inside in the winter, and/or, allowing for the changing of the aviary size.

My plan is to make panels, framed in wood with sufficient cross-bracing to allow for support. The wood will be on the OUTSIDE of the enclosur, with wire mesh attached (most likely with stainless steel staples) to the inner surface of the frame.

Fames would be 2 feet wide by 7 to 10 feet long (or tall, however you view it.) On the outside of the cage would be hinge haves, applied to match up with the appropriate opposite halves on the next panel. Some adjustment would have to be made for the four panels intended to form the corners so that wood goes to wood, but the wire mesh remains between bird and wood.

I may even consider putting mesh on both sides, if for no other reason than to provide a second line of defense against brak-outs (or brak-ins).

SO, here is the delemma, I'm looking for wire mesh appropriate for Amazons or larger. Between 24 inches and 48 inches and in rolls or panels allowing for 7 to 10 foot sections to attach to the panels.

Thanks,

Forbey

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
Where do you live? That kind of makes a difference. I just picked up some GAW wire from Jacksonville, decent prices and I didn't have to pay shipping costs.

Here is the site for the wire:

WA Davidson of Jax, Inc. Home Page - Welcome

To find out what size gauge you need this site is helpful:

NaturalBird.com Indoor and Outdoor Aviary Building FAQ:

It looks like you should have a min of 16g. I use 1x1 opening. You dont want anything large enough where they can get their heads through. I like the 1x1 just in case you end up getting something smaller in the future. The heavier the gauge the more protection you will have. I like the idea of double wiring, it will give added protection from little racoon hands. We just finished putting up some 1x1 14g.

OP
forbey

forbey

Apr 26, 2013
Media
Still not sure about the galvanized wire, but I'm having problems finiding panels of SS.

IF, I could find a 1" x 1" mesh in panels of 2'x4', 4'x4' or 4'x8' I could subdivide the enclosure out in sections.

Using the theory of assemply using hinges I could even make the aviary size adjustable, moveable and reparable.

Personally, I would love to stick with the 2'x4' model. I could start with a minimum of 4 full sections and 2 half sections (2'x2') to make a 2'w x 4'T enclosure and be able to expand as funds are available.

For example, by building 3 new panels I could shift the former top and bottom to the front and make two 2'x2' doors. Replace the top and bottom with 2'x4' panels and add a 2'x4' panel opposite the new doors and I would double the size of the enclosure to 4'Wx2'Dx4'T. The possibilities are endless (Until I run out of acreage, just kidding)

I still prefer the 2x4 box frame for the panels with mesh to the inside and outside.

Forbey

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Here you go Forbey, her's a source for your stainless wire/fencing: Welded or Woven Wire Mesh in a square pattern defined by the opening size.

McNichols isn't the only vendor, there are several others around the U.S....you can have them cut your panels to size also, if you'd like.....

Instead of staples, I think you'll want to look at stainless cable straps W/stainless screws...and...you'll want to pre-drill all holes for the stainless screws because SS screws are easy to twist off, when not using pilot holes....

Assuming you'll be using treated 2x2s to frame your panels, you may be in for some frustrating moments, because treated woods are shipped to lumber vendors in a wet state (virtually right out of the treatment barn) and as they dry, they tend to warp & curl, so you'll probably need to set up an outdoor drying area at home (more reading about sticking/cribbing lumber for drying).....

If you're nor interested in contending with drying & warping, they do make a 2"x2" plank stock of solid vinyl & you can usually find it at Lowes, Home Depot & other big box home centers.....

Last edited:

Most Reactions