Looking for a new family member

Nicci0110

Jun 7, 2023
Parrots
None, looking to welcome one into my family
I have chickens and one particular one has been in my home since March. I am re-integrating her back into her flock after an injury and realize I need a bird full time in my home. Caring for her and bonding with her has become one of the best experiences of my life. This is not fair for a chicken to remain in a home as they need a flock to truly be happy.
I started searching and had no idea the initial cost was so expensive. My dad had a cockatoo and I am aware of the care that goes into a bird, especially a large bird and would love to provide this to one. I realize the care, upkeep, and diet can be expensive but I had no idea the intitial cost was so high.
I live in MS. I am willing to drive up to 8 hours to adopt a bird maybe more for the right one. I am interested in finding a medium size bird. I would love a Rose Breasted Cockatoo, a Timneh (specifically a Timneh) and am of course open to other medium size options. I do need one that is ok with women as I will be the primary caregiver and really need something that can be at least tolerant of the other family members. There are a few I have determined through extensive research I do not think would fit my family. I would be happy to rescue one as their fees fit into my budget much better. My husband is just not willing to spend thousands on a bird. I have tried explaining the cost to him but he is just not willing to spend this. He would much rather us use that money to care for a bird. This of course led me to adoption centers/rescues. I have the time and patience to work with a bird but there are no rescues near me. I am willing to travel BUT they usually want to do a home visit and again they are not willing to travel so far to my home. Do you all have any suggestions on how I can find a friend. I am growing more and more worried this is something that will never happen for my family.
I have an elderly beagle who is super friendly and even lets my chicken lay on her bed with her. I have been with my husband since we were 15 and 16 and that is 20 years. We have one daughter who is 13 and taller than me so I have no small children. I am financially stable. I have 13 chickens who are more pets to me than anything. Each was kept inside my home for 10 weeks of their lives before being placed in their coop and taught to free range. As you see I very much love my birds and really want a companion. I have done the research to locate an avian vet as well as secured a babysitter for any trips my bird cannot come on. Please help :)

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Welcome to the forums!

It sounds like you are prepared to give a parrot a wonderful home!

Have you looked on Craigslist? Half of my flock are from there.
Of course, take your husband with you when you pick up the bird and if possible, meet in a public place.

A few things to start practicing for the safety of your to-be parrot. Wash your hands after handling the chickens as they are outside and could have pathogens from wild bird come into contact with them.
Also, put your beagle in another room or let her outside while the bird is free roaming. Even the best of dogs have hurt birds by accident.

You should also look on FaceBook and Craigslist for secondhand cages. Ask the person if the previous bird died from an infectious disease.
You should power wash or at least hose off the cage and let it dry in the sun. Then you can wipe it down with F10 or Chlorhexidine.

You may also be lucky enough to be in an area that has bird safe trees which you can harvest branches from. Only take branches if you’re sure the trees aren’t sprayed with any pesticides/herbicides/insecticides.
You can bake them in the oven for an hour on 200-250°

If they won’t fit in the oven, scrubbing them with hot water and soap then letting them dry in the sun should suffice.

OP
N

Nicci0110

Jun 7, 2023
Parrots
None, looking to welcome one into my family
Welcome to the forums!

It sounds like you are prepared to give a parrot a wonderful home!

Have you looked on Craigslist? Half of my flock are from there.
Of course, take your husband with you when you pick up the bird and if possible, meet in a public place.

A few things to start practicing for the safety of your to-be parrot. Wash your hands after handling the chickens as they are outside and could have pathogens from wild bird come into contact with them.
Also, put your beagle in another room or let her outside while the bird is free roaming. Even the best of dogs have hurt birds by accident.

You should also look on FaceBook and Craigslist for secondhand cages. Ask the person if the previous bird died from an infectious disease.
You should power wash or at least hose off the cage and let it dry in the sun. Then you can wipe it down with F10 or Chlorhexidine.

You may also be lucky enough to be in an area that has bird safe trees which you can harvest branches from. Only take branches if you’re sure the trees aren’t sprayed with any pesticides/herbicides/insecticides.
You can bake them in the oven for an hour on 200-250°

If they won’t fit in the oven, scrubbing them with hot water and soap then letting them dry in the sun should suffice.
These are all so many great suggestions. Thank you! I have checked Craigslist. Most everything I am coming across are small birds like Canaries and Sun Conures. I can only have one bird so I am holding out for a medium size parrot/cockatoo. Yes, I am super strict with washing my hands. I am scared to death of getting sick from chicken poop LOL. I am waiting on a cage since I am not sure yet what bird I will get. If I find one I will use Chlorhexidine. My husband ususes Hibi Cleanse before putting in his contacts. Once my injured chicken is outside I plan to do a thorough cleaning as well.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Oh! One more thing about the Chlorhexidine!
If you’re using it around your bird put 2 tbsp. To gallon of water.

Ads are added daily on Craigslist so I’m sure it’ll be no time before a species you’re interested in pops up 🙂

Most Reactions

Latest posts