Looking for Sengal Parrot... please help!

Ldirksen

Jul 4, 2018
Hello fellow bird/animal lovers!!! I am currently looking to purchase a Sengal Parrot but not having any luck finding a breeder in my area. I live in Central Iowa. Any suggestions? Please and thanks!

brighterdaysaviary

Jun 11, 2018
Florida, USA
Parrots
An Amazon Parrot and many Lovebirds.
https://www.birdbreeders.com/ Try this website. If you can't find a breeder in your state then shipping a bird may be the only option.

Also, I would suggest first going to your nearest bird rescue/shelter and looking at the birds there, you never know who you may find!

Also, research, research, research, birds are a huge commitment. Please be 100% sure before you can take care of a bird their whole life before bringing one in your home.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Welcome to the forum!

I don't know how much research you've done on Senegal Parrots, or what your prior bird-owning experience is, but please be sure that you've done a ton of not only online research on Senegal Parrots, but that's you've also spoken to many Senegal Parrot owners who can tell you first-hand what they are like to own, what their personalities are like, what issues are common to them etc., BEFORE bringing one into your home, just to ensure that a Senegal is the type of bird you are looking for...I have a year and a half old, male Senegal named Kane, who I brought home as a 13 week-old, hand-raised baby from his private breeder...Just to give you an idea, I live in central Pennsylvania, and I had to drive the entire way to the Raleigh, NC area in order to find a Senegal breeder, and I had been looking for at least 2 months...And I was not at all against adopting an adult Senegal or other Poicephalus species from a rescue/shelter, but couldn't find one who needed a home at the time...

I also suggest that you do a search on your local Craiglist pages, and use their advanced-search feature to type "Senegal" into the searchbar on your local Craigslist page, then do a search out to 200 miles, the furthest Craigslist lets you search...You probably won't find a ton of Senegal breeders, if any, but you may find a private individual, or multiple, who currently own a Senegal and need to re-home them...

You can also use www.birdbreeders.com and www.birdsnow.com to do searches for one, these are mostly private bird-breeders who have hand-raised babies, along with pet shops who breed their own birds and have babies, so depending on what age you are interested in, or how much you are looking to pay for the bird (keeping in-mind that a Senegal Parrot needs a very, very large cage, tons and tons of toys to chew-on, forage-with, and keep them busy and from getting bored, a proper pellet staple diet with a varied, healthy seed-mix as a supplement, and then all the other things you'll need to buy for the bird BEFORE you bring it home)...

Most Reactions

Latest posts