Looking for someone in Florida that wants a white capped pionus

ann1224

Aug 7, 2013
Hi, this is my first post. I was looking through the internet to try and find a forum for Pionus parrots and found this one hoping that someone was wanting a white capped Pionus to adopt or maybe knows of some resources that are safe to get her adopted out.

A bit of history on Sparky (her name)...She is thought to be 11-12 yrs old, and I got her for my son when he was 8, he is now 19 yrs old. We bought Sparky while visiting a bird store since my son had been begging for his own pet and I already had 2 dogs so I agreed to a bird. The store we got her from was very dirty and the birds seemed to not be taken care of so my son wanted to take a bird away from such bad conditions, so home Sparky came.

She came to us very nippy, a peeling beak, missing a few nails, and no ankle bracelet, it was quite sad. My son spent everyday getting bit trying to hold her until she finally warmed up to him after about 2 months. My son from that day he brought Sparky home housed her in his room, wanted a huge parrot cage for her, and left it open 24 hours a day (my son did not think it was right to cage a bird).

Sparky was a very happy parrot, sitting on my son's shoulders, walking his room as she pleased, had lots of toys, and when he went to school he left on the TV in his room for her so she would not feel alone. All was good with Sparky for 9 years and she was my son's best friend.

Sparky would enter mating season a few years after we got her and she would do the typical mating behavior of making an odd noise and lifting her tush and would be much worse with this if my son held her or petted her so during mating season he tried to not give her attention when she displayed this behavior. My son also began to lock the cage at night since she would wander the room trying to nest, needless to say she was not happy about that.

Then Sparky began getting off the cage in the middle of the night and chewing wires constantly so my son kept her caged at night and when he went to school for her own safety. A few months of being caged 6 hours a day and in the evening she began plucking just a little. We did many visits to the vet over the course of the last 3 years and twice she has stayed at the vet for a week when she had plucked to pretty bad bleeding.

Yesterday, my son decided that he could no longer care for her. She plucked again to the point of bleeding, he put on medicine that stops bleeding, he held he for 4 hours straight, then slept on the floor next to her cage and left it open. He woke up with her chewing wires behind his tv and panicked. He has asked me to find another home for her as he is going to college in a few weeks and fears what she might do while he is gone so many hours a day.

If anyone is in South Florida and is interested in her or if anyone knows anyone to contact to find her a good home with a man that wants her (she really does not like females and bites females that try to hold her) please send me a message. Sparky has been a part of our family for 11 years and to just put her on craigslist is not an option, nor is giving her to a pet store. We would love for Sparky to go to a good home and to someone that understands her needs. She is very sweet to males, she loves my husband and son, but she does demand a lot of attention and love. We would be adopting her out with her cage as well. It is a huge cage meant for a cockatoo or large parrot.

JadeC

Apr 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
Parrots
White bellied caique
I would post this in the "Adoptions/Re-Home" section of the forum. Sad story. :( Im sorry you have to give up your baby.

OP
A

ann1224

Aug 7, 2013
thank you I was unsure where this should go. It is very heartbreaking to have to do this. I just want to find her a home with a special person.

sarahmcrawford

Oct 6, 2012
Parrots
white capped pionus
Hello, my name is Sarah Crawford. I have a white capped pionus also and am interesting in another bird. Our's is named Max although we have no idea if he is really a he. We've had him since October of last year when I got him from a lady who couldn't keep him. He is about 3 yrs old now. He came to us unhandleable and now is pretty great although only with me. He doesn't let anyone else handle him but will accept treats from my husband and children. He's a little flighty and silly but I love him to death. I live in Hinesville Ga. so have no idea how far you are from me. Any way we could make this work?

Most Reactions