What types of toys do your Pionus enjoy?

caietaro

Jun 16, 2013
MA
Parrots
WC Pionus
I've started stocking up on toys for the WC Pionus we'll be bringing into our family in the coming weeks, and it got me curious as to what types of toys other people's pi's enjoy! So far I'm picking up a broad assortment since I don't really know what she'll enjoy most. Do you find that your Pi's really enjoy chewing (wood, cardboard, plastic?), foraging, climbing/swinging, etc?

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
I do not have a Pionus parrot (I have a Hahns Macaw). However, I am sure you can not go wrong with wood. I ordered this toy Bird toys: Wooden Four-Way Play Activity Center bird toy with safe, colorful pieces for example. It is put together by chain and I plan on replacing the wood pieces by ordering the wood part from mysafebirdstore.com. I think getting a variety is fine so the bird has different things to play with. Also shreddable toys and shreddable bird Kabob may be fine. Congratulations, on your Pionus. From what I read they seem like great birds. Here is a link about care info for these birds. Pionus Parrot's Website

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
My Pionus loves piñatas and any toys made with birdie bagels.

GreyG

Jul 26, 2013
Virginia Beach, VA
Parrots
Cleo (Meyer's)
Bailey (Coral Billed Pionus)
Zoey (African Grey)
My Pippin (BH) LOVED shreddable toys, especially pinatas and wicker balls. Bailey (CB), on the other hand, is more about pine cone toys and plastic stuff - he has a toy made of rubbery letters that spells out "BIRD" that he is particularly fond of (he has had it for nine years...it is the only toy we really don't swap out routinely).

Oftentimes when we get a new toy - particularly if the toy is "big and scary" lol! - we leave it in sight of the birds for a few weeks before placing it in their cage or on their gym. This is sort of to desensitize them to the toy and make them think it is familiar. Also, once it is placed into the toy rotation, it might go for several months without ever being played with....then one day BAM!! it is the coolest toy on the block and gets destroyed.

Last edited:
OP
C

caietaro

Jun 16, 2013
MA
Parrots
WC Pionus
My Pippin (BH) LOVED shreddable toys, especially pinatas and wicker balls. Bailey (CB), on the other hand, is more about pine cone toys and plastic stuff - he has a toy made of rubbery letters that spells out "BIRD" that he is particularly fond of (he has had it for nine years...it is the only toy we really don't swap out routinely).

Oftentimes when we get a new toy - particularly if the toy is "big and scary" lol! - we leave it in sight of the birds for a few weeks before placing it in their cage or on their gym. This is sort of to desensitize them to the toy and make them think it is familiar. Also, once it is placed into the toy rotation, it might go for several months without ever being played with....then one day BAM!! it is the coolest toy on the block and gets destroyed.

Thanks GreyG! I guess I'll just keep buying a variety of toys to try out to see what works and what doesn't. Any advice on putting toys in a cage for when a new baby first comes home? Everything will be new of course, but I'd hate to have the cage be totally void of toys at the beginning.

GreyG

Jul 26, 2013
Virginia Beach, VA
Parrots
Cleo (Meyer's)
Bailey (Coral Billed Pionus)
Zoey (African Grey)
My advice, at least at first, would be that less toys is better until baby gets comfortable in his new digs...I would probably only put 2 or 3 toys in there for the first week or so.

TTJ123

Aug 11, 2013
NY
Parrots
Blue Headed Pionus
Ive only had my blue head for a few weeks and he is only three months old. Si take what i say wit a grain of salt. So far he prefers foot toys and anything he can destroy. He loves q-tips.

OP
C

caietaro

Jun 16, 2013
MA
Parrots
WC Pionus
Q-tips are a great idea, I never would have thought of using them as toys!

sarahmcrawford

Oct 6, 2012
Parrots
white capped pionus
my guy likes strips of fabric tied in a wad and hung up with a D ring. It's a great beak wipe and cuddly for sleeping. I use leftovers from quilting. He also likes wicker type things that are easy to destroy and bells. From what I read pionus have softer beaks than cockatoos and macaws as they would eat mostly fruit in the wild so don't need such hard beaks and so tend to use less toys that are hard wood. Mine has a couple with wood blocks but they take much longer to destroy for him and so he plays with it less. I completely left out hard wood this last rotation of toys and I noticed his beak it getting too long so I put it back in.

OP
C

caietaro

Jun 16, 2013
MA
Parrots
WC Pionus
my guy likes strips of fabric tied in a wad and hung up with a D ring. It's a great beak wipe and cuddly for sleeping. I use leftovers from quilting. He also likes wicker type things that are easy to destroy and bells. From what I read pionus have softer beaks than cockatoos and macaws as they would eat mostly fruit in the wild so don't need such hard beaks and so tend to use less toys that are hard wood. Mine has a couple with wood blocks but they take much longer to destroy for him and so he plays with it less. I completely left out hard wood this last rotation of toys and I noticed his beak it getting too long so I put it back in.

This is great, thanks!

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Aww Congrats!!! Sorry I don't have any advise on the bird but I saw the profile pic and he/she is so cute!! :D

OP
C

caietaro

Jun 16, 2013
MA
Parrots
WC Pionus
Aww Congrats!!! Sorry I don't have any advise on the bird but I saw the profile pic and he/she is so cute!! :D

Thanks, she is pretty adorable! HOWEVER, the woman who is raising her has two other White Caps from a different clutch, and there's one that we've been spending a bit more time with and think might end up being a better fit for us. Just visited them today and spent some time with him (or her). ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376855411.662960.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1376855431.269013.jpg

The last two times we've spent time with him he just likes to either perch on my hand and sit up really straight, reminds me of a little falcon, or likes to snuggle under a chin!

Most Reactions