Looking To Get a New Cage Opinions?

peebs720

Dec 9, 2014
Parrots
White Bellied Caique
Looking to get a nice cage. Do you guys recommend a cage that goes almost to the floor for a african grey. I have a kings cage that goes to the floor for my Caique.

Do you think a African Grey would use the bottom half of a cage like that. I always liked the Avian Adventure cages but King Cages go to the Floor

Any Opinions?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
We recently got our amazon (similar cage needs to a CAG) this cage:

Poipu Palace Convertible Top Bird Cage, Large Bird Cages, Bird Cages at Bird Cages 4 Less

They also have a larger version:

Maui Mansion Convertible Top Large Bird Cage, Parrot Cages, Large Bird Cages, Macaw Bird Cages

I'm very happy with the cage. It seems to be built well, the finish is smooth (easier to clean) instead of the typical slightly textured powder coat and looks nice too (well, as nice as a cage could look, they aren't exactly the height of style lol;)). Theres also a nice little 'bird door' on the side, which we leave open for him instead of the big door. I REALLY like that feature! Kiwi is a bottom lurker and had no qualms about going to the lower bottom than he had in his old cage. Theres also more room for branches at all levels (I tried to put toys lower too, and he goes down there to play, so the space gets used). The dishes are quite large though, so a normal portion looks a lot less (I measure out our birds food), so you'd want to be careful not to waste food filling the dishes to brimming full. Our bird is pretty laid back and accepting of change so he took right to the new cage. I know many birds can be afraid to go in a new cage and take a while to warm up to it, so I'd account for that.

LadySiobhan

Dec 21, 2014
Media
Parrots
Senegal -Honeybird
BH Pionus - Indigo
My pionus is in the same cage as Zilla and I love it as well.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I'm not sure how Greys are, but I know certain species would rather stay "up in the trees" than go to the bottom.
If you do have a bird that is not adverse to going to the bottom, those deep cages are nice because for example in Raven's cage I have a toy box which sits on the grate, and various low hanging toys which make use of the space both high and low.

Just don't ever get an A&E (from Petco) :eek:. Allegedly A&E makes an even more "affordable" quality for them specifically, and it is substandard to say the very least! I had no idea until it arrived and I put it together. Griffin's cage is 6 months old and there are so many reasons why I want to already get rid of it! On the other hand, I LOVE Raven's Kings cage.

Last edited:

Bandespresso

Dec 22, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Congo African Grey+
Worked closely with many species, birds with behavioral problems, and now birds of prey and other wildlife
Go as big as you can but be careful with bar spacing! A lot of macaw-sized cages have macaw-sized bar spacing and some greys can get stuck.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Mine is in a 30 by 40 playtop.

Seems like my CAG only uses the very top (upside down like a bat.) The very bottom, when I put something to shred at the bottom of his cage. The playtop, of course, and the food bowls...

Everything in the center of the cage is wasted space.

Except the food bowls.

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
My Grey has a very big cage, Which goes to the floor. One thing a grey will do, as does mine, is climb down and go for a walk around the house. Sometimes it's a bit annoying as he could get stepped on. He has a habit of chasing my 3 dogs around the house. Which are a bit tired of getting their tails bitten unexpectedly. So I kind of wish that I didn't get a cage that goes all the way to floor. However I switched cages with him and one of my Amazons which their cage didn't go to the floor...and since then he doesn't climb down and off...Sure likes the shredded paper balls I put in bottom of cage... has a blast tearing up paper. I bought a pair of toddler sneakers for each bird and hung them on their perch...hours of fun for them...!!!

Most Reactions