Looooong molt

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
Jasper's molt seems to be taking ages. I'd say about 2 or 3 weeks total where he's lost a ton of feathers, then a big break in-between while they grow back. (So total time is several months right now but I'd have to look back at earlier posts to see exactly when it started)

How long do these molts usually last? He's in the stage where he's pinching/biting down again and I'm wondering how long this is going on for. I was enjoying the break in-between but now bity birdie is back :p

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
Pumpkin started molting 3 months ago and is still growing in new fearthers. It started on his head and neck and is now loosing tail feathers and growing in flight feathers. Apparently molting can take a long time. Just make them as comfortable as possible and help with the casings if they let you. Also I've been naking sure Pumpkin gets a very good diet while molting. Lots of veggies and cooked food rather than pellets. Good luck

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
I had read it could take up to 6 months! Hopefully it finishes soon. Thanks for your reply :)

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
We are going through a very long big molt this year. I'm wondering if it's weather related here. Normally we have a long rainy season in spring and this year it just went to straight hot and no rain.

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
My gcc has been itchy for like two months...

amjokai

Apr 19, 2014
Wahiawa, Oahu, Hawaii
Parrots
Eclectus, Blue and Gold Macaw, Cockatiels, Ringnecks, Green Cheek Conure
Drogo has been molting for months. His feathers are so worn out they're losing color and turning black, but his molt is taking FOREVER!!!!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Yeah, sometimes they go through big molts that last a WHILE. Jolly's currently in the midst of a marathon molt.

Though I'm not complaining. None of this even holds a candle to the ekkie specific Mojo molt Bixby had soon after I got him. For SIX MONTHS he was rocking a patch of gray down on his back, and a smaller one on his abdomen area. At first I'd been petrified he was plucking, but then, once I realized the down on his shoulder extended to a point at the nape of his neck that he couldn't possibly reach, I began researching the problem and came across Mojo molt. VERY infuriating, let me tell you.

But it passed... eventually.

ChrisBozz

Jul 15, 2015
Billings MT
Parrots
Amazon Yellow Nape She is 27 years old
Hi Katie, I'm so glad that you posted on a looooooong molting!!!! I'm going through the same with my Amazon. She is 27 years old and has been molting for two months now, I was starting to worry but my parrot groomer told me that it's molting season!!! I thought I was the only one that was having a long molting season!!

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
I keep telling Jasper he's going to be naked if he doesn't stop his molt soon :p The new feathers that are in are gorgeous though!

Most Reactions

Latest posts