Lorikeet eats junk food

Beak334

Nov 5, 2012
Got a problem with my Rainbow Lorikeet. :rainbow1:I only have time to take him out of the avairy and play with him at breakfast and dinner time. Don't get me wrong he gets at least an hour of undivided attention and energetic play.
The problem is at this time I've gotta eat too.
He gets a healthy diet in the avairy of Lori Wet and Lori Dry food, carrot, broccoli, grapes, apple.
The problem is when he's with me he demands a bit of everything I eat -
Favourites include, but not limited to - porridge (no sugar), peanut butter, marmalade, egg (pure & cooked in microwave), baked or mashed potato, gravy, pasta, cheese, tomato sauce, cooked corn on the cob.
I make sure he never touches chocolate, avocado or coffee but what about this other stuff? I'm worried if he doesn't have mealtimes with me he won't have much of a life anyway.
I recently saw Australian garden guru Don Burke recommend cheese and peanut butter as a remedy for of a bored corella.
So will this nibbling harm the bird if they are eating properly at other times?
Incidentally he also catches his own insects (mosquitoes) on the inside of the kitchen window.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
It could...

Can you not include a dish of his own that's fine for him to eat? Corn, sweet potato, whole grain/wheat pasta and other vegetables/fruits are fine to feed.

So have a dish for yourself and one for him?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
A little bit isn't going to hurt. My lory wants to get into everything as well. But I know better then to bring him out while I'm trying to eat. IF you feed him nectar, I know a lot of times it gets stuck on their beaks. You really don't want to ingest that as it can make you sick! Best to give him a dish of his own! Nectar should be a part of their daily diet!!!

Most Reactions