Lorikeet/Lory & Rosella Questions

Lithium

Dec 10, 2013
Utah
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Sparks), American Budgies (Carlisle, Esmé, Atticus, Leftie, & Coraline)
In another post I said I'm thinking about getting an amazon in 5+ years, but I have some other species I'm considering. I really like Lories, Lorikeets, and Rosellas. I don't know much about any of them, but I know that Lories and Lorikeets have a specialized diet. However, I wasn't able to find much info on their diet online. So, what do most people who keep them feed them? What species are most common?

For Rosellas, I wasn't able to find much information on their diet either. I think one site said that Cockatiel seed would be okay. That site also said they are more aggressive birds, too. Is this true?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Rosellas are one of those birds that don't tame easily but there's a few people on here witness tamed ones. Pretty much same diet as cockatiels with fresh fruits and veggies along with your choice of seeds/pellets mixed.

I feed my Lory fresh fruits and veggies with nectar sprinkle over it in the morning with Lory nuggets through out the day and evening time I give him warm nectar.

OP
Lithium

Lithium

Dec 10, 2013
Utah
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Sparks), American Budgies (Carlisle, Esmé, Atticus, Leftie, & Coraline)
Okay, thanks. Do you know how common Blue Streaked Lories are? I looked up pictures of them and I really like their look.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Lories aren't very common in my area depending where your located. I used to see a bunch of Lories in the midwest region. The more common ones you see are Rainbow, Red Lory, Yellow Streaked, etc. And yes I've seen the Blue streaked around too, I think there was one at my local bird fair last year....

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
I feed my lorikeet nectar mixture in the morning and then fresh fruits and veggies sprinkled with nectar and fresh flowers with lorikeet safe pollen on them that i get from my yard and more wet nectar at night. I dont ever suggest Lorikeets as pets though they need lots of toys and space and they are messy not like any other bird their cage needs to be regularly sprayed down and they shoot poo FAR away from the cage. Aside from the messiness they can be very aggressive and crazy energetic they need lots of stimulation to keep them happy and are very difficult birds to keep I just dont think they belong in captivity though i do love mine i wouldnt get another ever unless it was given to me and had no other home option.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I'm with Marcia there BUT I'm a fan of them and will get another one down the road when Malachai passes.

aquarius

Apr 11, 2013
hi

i have 2 eastern rosella. i dont know which one is male or female. before rosella i had lovebirds and cockatiel and i could breed them. now i want to work on rosella. who can help me on this way?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
hi

i have 2 eastern rosella. i dont know which one is male or female. before rosella i had lovebirds and cockatiel and i could breed them. now i want to work on rosella. who can help me on this way?

IF you had no idea on the sex, perhaps get them sexed first before trying? They're no different then from breeding Cockatiels if you've done that before.

Most Reactions