Lorikeet or Senegal Parrot for a beginner?

ivandhro

Nov 16, 2011
Hi, I have no experience about parrots, except for a Eastern Rosella that was gave to me some times ago. I thought I could tame her, but I've been told Rosellas are not quite mild birds, so I'm going to let her move freely in an aviary.

Anyway, this experience triggered my interest for parrots and I am thinking about taking another one with whom I can interact more.

I asked a breeder in my nearby and he said he could give me a Lorikeet or a Senegal Parrot.

I'd like to have a bird that could talk, play and enjoy to stay with people, but also not too needful of attentions (I've heard about some parrots that develop a kind of morbid devotion to their owner).

Which one do you suggest me? Is one of the two more suitable to the circumstance, also for the fact I'm not experienced?

Thank you!

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Out of those two, I would say the senegal would be a better choice for you. Lorikeets have a much different diet. Now of course, I'm quite partial to green cheek conures myself. :)

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I agree, but if you want a smaller parrot with batter speaking abilities, I would suggest an Indian Ring Neck, or Quaker. Senegal's are great birds, but their talking ability isn't outstanding. They can usually say a few words and some of the words can even be understood. But their not known for their talking ability. Senegals are more of a clown.

beckybird

Nov 16, 2011
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Lola (green cheek conure)
Connor (yellow sided green cheek conure)
Dorian "Buzzy" (senegal)
Hi there : )

I would say a senegal (of course I may be a bit biased because I have one). Lorikeets have special dietary needs (nectar) , as someone mentioned earlier... I have never had a lorikeet so I don't know what their personalities are like.

That said, I would like to tell you a little bit about my senegal parrot Buzzy. Buzzy loves to interact with me a lot, but he is also content playing in his cage with his toys. He has quite a sense of humor and imitates human laughter perfectly. He loves to laugh when he grabs my makeup or hair accesories off of the bathroom counter and tries to run away with them. He seems to believe that he is a little person instead of a bird. He is 7 months old and is already starting to pick up a few words. When he wants my attention he exclaims "Look!" He also says "nummy num, hi, and hey." He runs across the floor to find me when I am in a different room and then greets me with an excited "Hi! Hey!" before climbing up my pantleg and nestling in my lap.

He is very busy as well : ) When I am balancing my checkbook he runs across the counter on his quick little legs and grabs the top of my pen (he wants to be involved in all of my activities). He runs to find me when I am in the shower and tries to climb the shower curtain until I lift him up to put him on my shower shelf where he enjoys the gentle mist of the water bouncing off of my back. I have had several different kinds of birds in my life (blue crowned conure, green cheek conures, lovebirds, caiques, parakeets, a cockatoo, an indian ringneck...) and I can honestly say that he has been one of my absolute favorites because of his endearing personality and silly antics. I cannot imagine my life without a senegal. I tell my people that if my first bird had been a senegal parrot, I would have *Only* senegals for the rest of my life!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I would suggest a Senegal as well unless you can meet the diet requirement Lorikeet needs! We have a Black Lory, very different from any bird I've ever owned. Super sweet and smart, plus he's a total clown. He can keep going and going like a energizer bunny. Downside is because of his diet, cage and surrounding area gets very dirty!!!

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Lories are definitely energizer bunnies and can be quite assertive little things.

For a first bird, the Senegal would probably be better. However, they aren't known as great talkers. If you want an easier beginner bird that can talk very well, consider a male budgie. It may not be hand raised and tame yet, but with patience they aren't hard to tame. They are also very easy going, enjoy a lot of people, and can't cause you any great harm if they bite. If it's not already tame though, get a young one, and only get one. Many people put 2 in a cage and then they are much more difficult to tame.

Bengara

Oct 18, 2011
Media
Omro, WI
Parrots
Zebra finches, society finches,button quail, green cheek conure, sun conure, quaker parrot, Congo greys, double yellow amazon, orangewing amazons and lovebird
I would say neither I would go with a quacker parrot

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I would say neither I would go with a quacker parrot

Quakers are wonderful, downside is they're illegal in many states! They can be just as much of a pain as a Senegal can be!!! As with any parrot. In reality it is up to the individual to choose his/her bird. We can only advise the nutritional needs each specie requires. Rest is up to the individual to choose! My idea of a beginner's bird would not be any of these birds unless you understand birds. It's because of a beginner's mistake that causes emotional issues a lot of birds have. You can read all you want, it isn't the same as owning one and dealing with the issues at hand. I started out small and moved upwards. Good luck finding your own special bird!!!

Hochimama

May 5, 2011
Malaysia
Parrots
{used to have} Fisher LoveBird, PeachFace Lovebird, Albino Indian RingNeck {used to have}
I would recommend Senegal, or monk parakeet .. ~~ ^^

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
how much do you value your fingers???

lol just joking sene's though they have there moments, its all down to how you are and the said parrot :)

there smart and charming, sneaky and mine can be down right evil, when she feels we have wronged her in some way, but she is a very social bird, and as long as we stay within our pecking order, on how much she allows us to handle her all is fine :)

have a good look into what ever bird you fancy and if you can meet its long term needs, thats the one for you

beccakirk24

Dec 22, 2011
Media
England
Parrots
6 month old Senegal Uno
I would suggest a Senegal, my senegal is 6 months old and is no bother at all, a bit noisy at times but always makes you laugh :)

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
how much do you value your fingers???

lol just joking sene's though they have there moments, its all down to how you are and the said parrot :)

there smart and charming, sneaky and mine can be down right evil, when she feels we have wronged her in some way, but she is a very social bird, and as long as we stay within our pecking order, on how much she allows us to handle her all is fine :)

have a good look into what ever bird you fancy and if you can meet its long term needs, thats the one for you

I agree with Sue, Senegals are sweet birds most of the time, but I like to refer to them as the Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde of the parrot world. One minute they can be sweet as sugar and the next minute giving you a good pinch.

Most Reactions