Lorikeets

darkling

Apr 13, 2011
Alabama
Parrots
RIP Pi - Sun Conure 02/06/11 - 09/10/11
I <3 lories. They're sweet, playful, they make funny noises and they aren't too intimidating so friends and family don't head for the hills when they hear that you have one.

I'm not ready for another bird just yet but I'm about 90% certain that when I am ready, I'll be looking for a lory. The thing is, I'm having a really hard time finding information about the different types of lorikeet that are out there.

I used to own a chattering lory and she was the silliest, sweetest, prettiest little bird I've ever met. A friend of mine back then had another type of lory and I'd like to learn more about it but I don't know what it was called.

It was mostly black with a bit of orangey yellow and I think dark blue on its chest. Does this ring a bell with anyone? I'm googling like crazy but mostly I'm just finding rainbow lories.

I also thought it might be nice to have a thread where people can share their experiences/knowledge about lories. This is as much for my personal benefit as for anyone else who might be interested in lories as well.

OP
darkling

darkling

Apr 13, 2011
Alabama
Parrots
I just solved my own mystery. He was a dusky lory!

wpt0960m_medium.JPG

OP
darkling

darkling

Apr 13, 2011
Alabama
Parrots
They're coming to get him on Monday.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
I would also like to know more about this little parrots. The dusky lory is very pretty. Don't these guys have really watery poo?

OP
darkling

darkling

Apr 13, 2011
Alabama
Parrots
They do because they eat primarily nectar and fruit juices. We fed my chattering lory a powdered nectar and sometimes we'd give her slices of fruit (which she mostly licked) or fruit puree. Her poo wasn't totally liquid but it was definitely messier than any of the other birds.

Her personality was really sweet though. She loved to hang upside down from your fingers or lay on her back and play with little toys. She loved anything with a bell and we had to have a separate water bottle along with her water bowl because she would submerge herself in the bowl until she was absolutely sopping wet.

The only downside to her was that she wanted to kill any other bird in the house so she could only be out of her cage when everyone else was safely put away. That wouldn't be a problem for me since I only ever plan to have one bird at a time but it could be a serious issue for someone with several birds if they didn't know.

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
I heard lorys are super messy... Like throwing their food everywhere lol.

Most Reactions