Lory Inquiries

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
He doesn't talk but he makes funny noises and screeches a lot. As far as I know, Black Lory isn't known for talking ability. We've always wanted a black parrot, so he'll do instead of the Black Palm Cockatoo. :)

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
He doesn't talk but he makes funny noises and screeches a lot. As far as I know, Black Lory isn't known for talking ability. We've always wanted a black parrot, so he'll do instead of the Black Palm Cockatoo. :)

Could have gotten a vasa [emoji5]

OP
kalypso123

kalypso123

Aug 16, 2014
Media
Tallahassee, Florida
Parrots
Cockatiel- Kalypso
He is so pretty and I think that just made me decide. Now just to find a breeder and get the set up going. Black birds are so pretty. When I was first looking for a bird the Black Lory was on the list but then Kalypso showed up and somethings are just meant to be. Who did you get your lory from MikeyTN.

OP
kalypso123

kalypso123

Aug 16, 2014
Media
Tallahassee, Florida
Parrots
Cockatiel- Kalypso
Also did you put up acrylic panels on the three sides of your cage to maintain the mess? The only thing Im worried about is when the lory is hanging on the side of the cage and he poops. Just wondering how you maintain this.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots

Could have gotten a vasa [emoji5]

Could of but Malachai stole my heart when he jumped up my arm, ran up to my shoulders then lay his head on my shoulder. :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Also did you put up acrylic panels on the three sides of your cage to maintain the mess? The only thing Im worried about is when the lory is hanging on the side of the cage and he poops. Just wondering how you maintain this.

I got him at the bird fair, place I don't usually buy birds from. She got him from a friend in Florida that raises them but I'm not sure where. There are several breeders of them down in Florida.

I use shower curtain in the back and I just wipe up the floor on the sides. But I have been wanting to put up acrylic for that specific reason.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Are you trying to find them off birdbreeders.com?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Google search Black Lory for sale Florida. Lots of places!

SharlenaSharlena

May 20, 2013
Portland,OR
Parrots
Skittles - Blue Mnt. Male Lorikeet
Starburst -Blue Mnt. Female Lorikeet
Kiwi - Lutino Cockatiel Male
Hey Iknow I may be a little late to this but with the proper diet and nutrition (a diet as close to their natural diet as possible) you can get at least 20 in some cases almost 30 years out of your Lory. Our breeder in Florida has yet to have one live less then 20 so that is usually what I go by. Coincidentally she is one of the best breeders of the species and is located in Florida

http://www.lorywebsite.com/

We use a large bow front cage with acrylic door because its easier to clean up any splatters from their poop.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71nxFMatMrL._SY355_.jpg

We keep 2 lorikeet in it and there is plenty of room for them and their toys.

Food: we only give them fruit because that's the diet they are designed for. Not saying you cant occasionally give them veggies and other things but they can't have too much iron.
Ours are flighted and have their own room which really keeps the mess down because they are messy eaters. all that aside they are the BEST parrots and are such loving little clowns.

OP
kalypso123

kalypso123

Aug 16, 2014
Media
Tallahassee, Florida
Parrots
Cockatiel- Kalypso
Thanks for the reply. That breeder says they are not weaning babies at this time but Im not sure if they do now. If you know anything further please share.

Thanks
Logan

SharlenaSharlena

May 20, 2013
Portland,OR
Parrots
Skittles - Blue Mnt. Male Lorikeet
Starburst -Blue Mnt. Female Lorikeet
Kiwi - Lutino Cockatiel Male
Oh no I am sorry to hear that Logan! I will keep eyes open and let you know when she is (we are friends on fb). It might be because it's winter time, she tends to have more babies closer to April-May.

Most Reactions